Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Input needed from those with broken drivetrain parts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Input needed from those with broken drivetrain parts

Hi All,

Just looking for some input from those of you who have broken a front diff, rear diff, center diff, or front axles. I am having some sort of drivetrain problem (or possibly front suspension) when autocrossing. I can't duplucate it on the streets for the technician to hear or feel.

When I launch I get a popping or clunking noise that sounds like it is coming from the front drivetrain area. It also happens when I make quick transitions and when I accellerate coming out of a turn. I can't even accurately describe what it sounds like or feels like. The read diff seems to have alot of slack in it - with the tires off the ground I can rotate one side about 20-30 degrees before the gears mesh.

What does it sound like when a CV joint is going bad? Is there something the tech can do to test the CV joints or the diffs without dismantling them to see if everything is working properly? Thanks!!

EVOlutionary
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case

I had the same problem everytime I accerated around a short corner where the RPMs dropped and I had to really get into the pedal or it would happen everytime I took it to the Dragstrip and released the clutch to early with higher than 5800rpms. Took it to Mitsubishi around 3 4 times and they said nothing was wrong with it. Then when it finally went the said it was the front CV shafts and replaced them and stil it was messed up and they refused to replace the Transfer. I got tired of the red tape with the Lawyers and bought a new Transfer and it was perfect again. The same kind of malfunction can happen to the rear it uses the same type system as the front just reversed. Meaning the ring gear turns the pinoin gear for the front and pinoin gear turns the ring gear. This is on a 2003 or 2004 right? If its on a 2005 or 2006 there are a couple of other things it could be.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

I sure hope it isn't the t-case!

I just bought a brand new TRE transfer case this spring and put a Quaife in for the front diff. Anything else y'all think it could be?

EVOlutionary
Old Jul 24, 2006, 07:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've recently diagnosed a problem I thought to be in the front to really be a shot rear carrier (ring and pinion)... I did the simple back lash check shown in the manual. You are not supposed to have more than 6mm of measured back lash. I have 8-9mm. The sounds were traveling up the drive shafts into the x-fer case.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

I have ruled out the transfer case.

Zeus, thanks for the input. I have thought I had too much backlash in the rear for a long time now and brought it up to the technician several times, but they pretty much dismissed it. I know they never tested backlash. I do know that when I have the rear wheels off the ground that I can rotate one rear wheel about 20 degrees or so before the slack is taken up.

I don't have access to a service manual. Is there a copy posted up here anywhere, or a write up on how to check backlash? Thanks again!

EVOlutionary
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:52 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
I have ruled out the transfer case.

Zeus, thanks for the input. I have thought I had too much backlash in the rear for a long time now and brought it up to the technician several times, but they pretty much dismissed it. I know they never tested backlash. I do know that when I have the rear wheels off the ground that I can rotate one rear wheel about 20 degrees or so before the slack is taken up.

I don't have access to a service manual. Is there a copy posted up here anywhere, or a write up on how to check backlash? Thanks again!

EVOlutionary
Don't know if you can read this or not... let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Input needed from those with broken drivetrain parts-rear-axle-backlash-check.gif  
Old Jul 25, 2006, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The "simple" backlash test in the service manual for the rear diff is not really the "right" way to do it as there are several things it can be if it is out of spec. It does tell you there is too much backlash, which is a start, but doesn't tell you the cause. If out of spec, I would bet the rear diff's side gears need to be reshimmed. I had a huge decel whine from the rear diff with my AWD talon, did the "simple" test and it was bad, disassembled everything, and the R&P backlash was well within spec. The side gear backlash was WAY out of spec. A shim kit fixed it right up.
However, the car drove fine, it was just noisy on decel, so rear diff backlash is not your problem IMO.

Last edited by Steve_P; Jul 25, 2006 at 05:07 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its the transfer case. If when you drive and its makeing noise as you turn yet its the transfer case that means you have to replace your clutch to good luck best price i got on the hole thing was $2800.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^wtf?