Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

new clutch to give many a run for their money

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2006, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new clutch to give many a run for their money

Carbonetic/ATS & ACROSS Twin Carbon Clutches

http://www.carbonetic.net/

I had one of these installed recently and I can't say enough about it. I had ordered a Tilton with twin cerametalic, not the hybrid(I heard the organic wears out fast with good power) After waiting almost a month with my car in the shop because the material was out of stock at tilton, in which time tilton kept saying next week, next week, next week etc. My mechanic got a tip about these clutches and he decided which ever one comes in first will go on my car... well it was the Carbonetic which used to be ATS and ACROSS for jdm. In the mean time I was growing concerned about the on/off switch of the tilton. I always wanted the carbon/carbon but could not afford it.(its double the price) This carbonetic clutch package was only a few hundred dollars more than the cerametalic/cerametalic tilton. It however has the slipping ability of a carbon/carbon but at 1/2 the price of a tilton carbon/carbon. It too includes a chromollly flywheel. The bracketry is a little dubious to install (requiring minor modification.) The unit measures about 8 1/2" vs the tilton 7 1/4 and the weight is close. The lightened flywheel is a hoot. I blip the throttle and it revs very quickly. I know this is how all lightened flywheels are, but I still can't get over it. I think for the money anyone who is looking to up grade to a clutch package, this clutch should be thrown in the mix.
    I have driven on it for a couple days in traffic. It is a little more firm than the stock clutch and it needs to be broken in for about 700 miles before any dyno pulls or before any extreme launches. but I am completely impressed. My mechanic says he will try to push these exclusively for customers who want to upgrade.
    It also gives instructions for warm up before drag racing

I think I have one of the 1st in the country...so far so good. I will let you knowhttp://www.carbonetic.net/

Last edited by cnoevo8; Jul 30, 2006 at 09:55 PM.
    Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:52 AM

The reason it is 1/2 the price of a Tilton carbon is because it uses half the amount of carbon. Tilton is full carbon/carbon (carbon driven and floater plates), which is the design of all racing carbon clutch (F1, Le Mans, etc). Carbon against steel is not really ideal. Carbon is very stable under heat and does not warp. Steel has a limited heat capacity and will warp. Once the steel plates warp, the contact area with the carbon places is reduced and torque capacity will decrease (ultimately causing a slipping clutch).

Tilton does not require any type of "warm-up" procedure to get the clutch to hold torque. All Tilton carbon clutches are tested for torque on a low speed dyno before shipping to a customer. Tilton carbon clutches hold the torque when cold. The resason you probably have to "warm-up" the ATS clutch is becuase of the difference friction coefficients between the carbon and steel plates. The "warm-up" procedure is really not a good idea for long term clutch life. The warm-up proceduce of slipping the clutch is wearing the carbon discs.

Originally Posted by cnoevo8
    Carbonetic/ATS & ACROSS Twin Carbon Clutches

http://www.carbonetic.net/

I had one of these installed recently and I can't say enough about it. I had ordered a Tilton with twin cerametalic, not the hybrid(I heard the organic wears out fast with good power) After waiting almost a month with my car in the shop because the material was out of stock at tilton, in which time tilton kept saying next week, next week, next week etc. My mechanic got a tip about these clutches and he decided which ever one comes in first will go on my car... well it was the Carbonetic which used to be ATS and ACROSS for jdm. In the mean time I was growing concerned about the on/off switch of the tilton. I always wanted the carbon/carbon but could not afford it.(its double the price) This carbonetic clutch package was only a few hundred dollars more than the cerametalic/cerametalic tilton. It however has the slipping ability of a carbon/carbon but at 1/2 the price of a tilton carbon/carbon. It too includes a chromollly flywheel. The bracketry is a little dubious to install (requiring minor modification.) The unit measures about 8 1/2" vs the tilton 7 1/4 and the weight is close. The lightened flywheel is a hoot. I blip the throttle and it revs very quickly. I know this is how all lightened flywheels are, but I still can't get over it. I think for the money anyone who is looking to up grade to a clutch package, this clutch should be thrown in the mix.
    • it is a few hundred dollars more with carbon/carbon, than any other well known cerametalic/cerametalic or hybrid clutch.
      it has the slipping ability of a carbon clutch
      it has a chromolly flywheel
      for engagement it is not an on/off switch
      it is much quieter when engaged than most twin plate clutches
    I have driven on it for a couple days in traffic. It is a little more firm than the stock clutch and it needs to be broken in for about 700 miles before any dyno pulls or before any extreme launches. but I am completely impressed. My mechanic says he will try to push these exclusively for customers who want to upgrade.
    It also gives instructions for warm up before drag racing

I think I have one of the 1st in the country...so far so good. I will let you knowhttp://www.carbonetic.net/
    Old Jul 31, 2006, 02:55 PM
    Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03EVO583
    The reason it is 1/2 the price of a Tilton carbon is because it uses half the amount of carbon.
    FYI the carbon plates are much thicker than the tilton, however it is true they rest against metal...but other materials instead of steel for the floater and other components which runs much cooler.

I will take my chances, I have friends and co workers that have used the tilton and it lasts one rally race!...thats it. They also told me that the tilton has about 2 min. of total clutch slipping time before it's toast.

I was told by a company rep that with my driving (mostly extreme street use) the clutch will probably last the life of the car. I will keep people posted

Here is more about the different materials working together. http://www.carbonetic.net/material/index.html

Last edited by cnoevo8; Jul 31, 2006 at 08:47 PM.
    Old Aug 4, 2006, 07:18 PM
    Evolving Member

almost 400 miles on it...very smooth engagement for traffic driving or daily driving. I have a driveway that is up hill into a garage. I back it in and no problems stalling it, or having to over rev the motor to keep it from stalling.
    about 1/2 the annoying "dual" clutch noise. The carbon plates were measured to be 2x the thickness of an exedy or tilton. Soon I will be doing hard launches with it. So far so good!
    Old Aug 4, 2006, 09:52 PM
    Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
    Post some time slips.
    Old Aug 4, 2006, 09:59 PM
    Evolved Member

the tilton carbon clutch is at the top nothing touches it for holding power\torque
    Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:15 PM
    Evolved Member

^^they have a nice website +1 for me...lol
    Old Aug 5, 2006, 03:21 AM
    Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
    Originally Posted by cnoevo8
    FYI the carbon plates are much thicker than the tilton, however it is true they rest against metal...but other materials instead of steel for the floater and other components which runs much cooler.

I will take my chances, I have friends and co workers that have used the tilton and it lasts one rally race!...thats it. They also told me that the tilton has about 2 min. of total clutch slipping time before it's toast.

I was told by a company rep that with my driving (mostly extreme street use) the clutch will probably last the life of the car. I will keep people posted

Here is more about the different materials working together. http://www.carbonetic.net/material/index.html
    So much misinformation it hurts.
    First the tilton. Don't know which tilton clutch you are talking about, but if its the C/C all I have to say is you got to be kidding. There is not a clutch on the market that compares to the tilton C/C. I own one and have first hand experience of how well it works and how long it lasts. Just reread the second post in your thread. It speaks knowledge.

The carbonetics. While I can appreciate your enthusiasm for your new clutch dont get too excited. The the exedy twin carbon, ats twin carbon, cusco twin carbon. are all similiar to what you are using and have been well tested on this board. Sorry but they dont hold up to power that well. They are smooth but they are best left to 450-500whp setups. Even at that power level they can be destroyed with one over exubant track visit.

Last the life of your car? LOL. Really fast cars (2000hp) change the clutch after every pass. Stock cars (200hp)get about 20,000 miles . Find your car on the scale of horsepower and have a realistic view of how long your clutch will last. You will sleep better at night.
    Old Aug 5, 2006, 10:19 AM
    Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63Rules
    So much misinformation it hurts.
    First the tilton. Don't know which tilton clutch you are talking about, but if its the C/C all I have to say is you got to be kidding. There is not a clutch on the market that compares to the tilton C/C. I own one and have first hand experience of how well it works and how long it lasts. Just reread the second post in your thread. It speaks knowledge.

The carbonetics. While I can appreciate your enthusiasm for your new clutch dont get too excited. The the exedy twin carbon, ats twin carbon, cusco twin carbon. are all similiar to what you are using and have been well tested on this board. Sorry but they dont hold up to power that well. They are smooth but they are best left to 450-500whp setups. Even at that power level they can be destroyed with one over exubant track visit.

Last the life of your car? LOL. Really fast cars (2000hp) change the clutch after every pass. Stock cars (200hp)get about 20,000 miles . Find your car on the scale of horsepower and have a realistic view of how long your clutch will last. You will sleep better at night.
    let me know when your tilton goes out and I will let you know sometime in the next decade when mine goes out. I am telling you I speak from my mechanic who say's he has never seen such a design and build quality in a clutch. He has been replacing hi performance clutches for 15 years...now correct me if I am wrong, but that is just about how long Japanese cars have been popular in the U.S. This is an ATS clutch that has doubled the thickness of their carbon clutch plates.(this speaks volumes) It is a totally new design, and a new name. I think in the coming months these will be installed in many cars and will be touted just the same as all the others on the market. With one exception...the clutch life!

When I wanted a clutch he was testing the tilton hybrid...what a pos he said. He has showed me about 3-4 tilton hybrid clutches totally ruined on the organic plate. I then ordered the twin cerametalic. Tilton was out of stock and out of the material to make the clutch, for a month my car sat. My mechanic then found out about this new release. He got it looked it over compared it to every other clutch he has installed. Then he installed and tested it. Now has decicded to recommend this to all who are looking for a new performance clutch. It is not a total race like a tilton but I consider that a plus. I think there is many more street and sometime track cars out there, than all out race cars. This is all I can say...but I think it says allot. BTW my mechanic said it would last the life of MY car, because he knows my driving style and how much I drive the car. It won't last the life of a race car. my car 400+whp and 360+ tq(waiting for the official results)
    Old Aug 5, 2006, 10:25 AM
    Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scott yo
    the tilton carbon clutch is at the top nothing touches it for holding power\torque
    Great if you have a race car...good for you! Try to have a conversation with the clutch engaged! This twin holds about 50 less torque than the tilton...but the triple carbonetic holds much more than the twin tilton. Check the site.
    Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:57 PM
    Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
    You and your mechanic seem to have no knowledge on the tilton C/C. It is a full carbon carbon clutch. no metal plates. flywheel is is not a friction surface. the friction is carbon to carbon only. highest grab with the least amount of wear.

litest plates on the market, and small in diameter 7.25 for unmatched quick shifting. shifts at 9000 like it shifts at 3000.
    smooth engagement, easy on the drivetrain, no noise at all from the clutch. some driveshaft noise that every twin plate will have (solid center, spring center will be quiet but is weak)
    clutch life ends after .225 of material has worn from the plates.
    my 550whp car has the equivalent of 400 passes on it. .012-.014 wear so far
    tested at factory to hold 900ft lbs torque cold on the clutch dyno. holds more when broke in. holds more when heated. the list goes on.

the carbonetics sounds good. carbon discs impregnated with steel should be more durable than carbon only discs running on steel surfaces. but your 400hp car is hardly gonna be helpful of how good it is. when someone with 600+ goes to the track with one let us know.
    Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:19 AM
    Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    cnevo8, you're obviously going to have a difficult time convincing anybody that your clutch is on par with a tilton CC. Good luck with all that....

But, way OT I know, But I have to comment on this....

That 'rock' (scirocco, for those not in the know) is the

[hotsauce]

Seriously, 10K is a steal, if I was in the market for a 183 hp FW ~monster~ I'd snap that sum***** up in a second.
    Old Aug 6, 2006, 09:33 AM
    Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
    You and your mechanic seem to have no knowledge on the tilton C/C. It is a full carbon carbon clutch. no metal plates. flywheel is is not a friction surface. the friction is carbon to carbon only. highest grab with the least amount of wear.

the carbonetics sounds good. carbon discs impregnated with steel should be more durable than carbon only discs running on steel surfaces. but your 400hp car is hardly gonna be helpful of how good it is. when someone with 600+ goes to the track with one let us know.
    I am just letting people know that their may be an alternative that is not as harsh as a tilton puck style clutch. The clutch says it will hold close to the tilton as far as power. It comes with a lightened flywheel, and the whole package weight is a couple of lbs. heavier than the tilton. It remains to be seen what the clutch will do with lot's of power. like I said, I ordered the tilton, that is what I was talked into by evolutionm and by my mechanic to order. The carbonetic is now in and my mechanic is impressed. (and so am I for the time being.)
    FYI my mechanic has installed several twin carbon tilton's and they are on the track right now. For him to put this clutch in that class he must be impressed!

I am willing to bet that one of the 570+hp cars he tunes will have this clutch or the triple carbonetic to try out. Possibly this one http://videos.streetfire.net/categor...c902781b1e.htm I will let the people know. ?

Last edited by cnoevo8; Aug 6, 2006 at 10:08 AM.
    Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:30 AM
    Evolving Member

Last edited by cnoevo8; Sep 9, 2006 at 05:54 PM.
    Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:08 PM
    Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    woops

Last edited by gaijin; Aug 7, 2006 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Logged in on friend's user name by accident, sorry.

Quick Reply: new clutch to give many a run for their money