Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Redline lightweight shockproof ok for tranny ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2006, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VR4orceCJ
May I point your attention to a similar thread we've been having on this topic in the motorsports area:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...1&page=1&pp=15

BTW with a Gear oil cooler setup I run: Tranny - 1 3/4qts Heavyweight, 2 qts MT-90, Transfercase and Rear Diff - 50/50 Heavyweight and 75/90 GL-5 This is with VERY regular changes...as often as after each race weekend based on percieved abuse.
Yes, I told others to try it since the MR tranny is weak and it might cure their troubles. But I have not read of anyone else recommending it until this thread.

Your choice of fluids is also rare :-)
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Naji, I posted up on page 5 of that thread about what the Redline Oils Australia website recommends. I'm thinking of calling Redline to see what the compatablity of Shockproof is with GL4. Do you remember what our SE-R trannies asked for? I ran MT-90 for about 100k (50k with the turbo) and Heavyduty Shockproof for ~30k.

I might just go with MT-90 (which is GL4 according to the website) in the tranny, and heavyduty shockproof in the x-case, and lightweight in the rear.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Yeah.. I know my choice is a little different than most, but I've been experimenting for a while at the cost of several built trannies on my GVR4 . The mixture in the tranny itself is based upon having a good base of GL-4 oil that isn't thick as mud before it warms up, yet having the mud (heavyweight) to pickup the slack when things get warm in there

I've used a lot of different gear oils, for example, NEO RHD, which as the tranny worked up to high temps would foam up and cause all kinds of trouble. I'm not blaming this on the Neo, but even with no other changes but substituting one quart of Heavyweight, it dropped before cooler temps to below 250F (maxed out gauge 250F+ previously) so it must be doing something right in there. I've since updated the gear oil cooler design and added a spray nozzle over the 3/4 hub/slider/gearset and with the heavyweight/MT-90 mix can run an entire 30-40min race in hot temps and come off the track with tranny temps after the cooler of <210F.

Not endorsing or bashing any products or recommending anything to anyone, just providing my experiences for you to make your own judgement based upon your car and its intended use. I continue to adjust as needed and likely will up the % of redline Heavyweight in the TC next time based upon some of the input here and previous expereince with running full Heavyweight in my GVR4 TC. I guess thats why we all like the Evo...for the Evolution
Old Sep 21, 2006, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
called shep and he likes redline, im using rp maxgear. Its real cold here in the winter,and i want something real thin.