Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

boost test goes straight out exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2006, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boost test goes straight out exhaust

A friend and I tried last week to do a boost leak test on a tester that I've used in the past with no problems. This time I turned up the compressor to 20psi and my gauge only read around 6psi. Turned it up to 30, it read 8. Turned it up to 40 and almost to 10. He figured out that the pressure was going straight through and out the exhaust. We tried to crank it over to realign the valves over and over and over again, but same result.

Tried again today and same thing. Gauge reads 6 or so and air is coming out the exhaust. Tried cranking slightly for awhile and same thing.

Tester is hooked up to turbo, should I try to hook it up to the tb? Any suggestions?
Old Aug 23, 2006, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Your wastegate is broken. Last one I check that went out the exhaust the WG was toast.

Check it.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dubIX
A friend and I tried last week to do a boost leak test on a tester that I've used in the past with no problems. This time I turned up the compressor to 20psi and my gauge only read around 6psi. Turned it up to 30, it read 8. Turned it up to 40 and almost to 10. He figured out that the pressure was going straight through and out the exhaust. We tried to crank it over to realign the valves over and over and over again, but same result.

Tried again today and same thing. Gauge reads 6 or so and air is coming out the exhaust. Tried cranking slightly for awhile and same thing.

Tester is hooked up to turbo, should I try to hook it up to the tb? Any suggestions?

Was the motor warmed up and was it at TDC?
Old Aug 24, 2006, 07:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cajun Power
Your wastegate is broken. Last one I check that went out the exhaust the WG was toast.

Check it.
hahahahahaha... riiiiiight.
please ignore that comment dubIX, it has absolutely nothing to do with the wastegate.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by KevinD
hahahahahaha... riiiiiight.
please ignore that comment dubIX, it has absolutely nothing to do with the wastegate.

Yeah, ok. I thought I had a wastegate issue last week and changed it out to the high pressure one from BR. Still the same problem.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by matt55
Was the motor warmed up and was it at TDC?
The first time it happened last week, the motor was warm. This time no it was cold. Not sure if it was at tdc. How do I get it to tdc?
Old Aug 24, 2006, 07:40 AM

check your egr valve and make sure the hose didn't pop off.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dubIX
The first time it happened last week, the motor was warm. This time no it was cold. Not sure if it was at tdc. How do I get it to tdc?
On the harmanic-balancer(SP) there timming marks that line up with marks on the front of the motor , or there is marks on the cams gears/valve cover .

With the motor @ tdc at least the intake and/or the Ex valves should be closed , so the presurised air shouldnt be going out the tail pipe.

IMO the valves and rings seal up better when the motor is warmed up.

Good luck , btw WGA has nothing to do with the air being passed out the tail pipe
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by matt55
On the harmanic-balancer(SP) there timming marks that line up with marks on the front of the motor , or there is marks on the cams gears/valve cover .

With the motor @ tdc at least the intake and/or the Ex valves should be closed , so the presurised air shouldnt be going out the tail pipe.

IMO the valves and rings seal up better when the motor is warmed up.

Good luck , btw WGA has nothing to do with the air being passed out the tail pipe
Sounds good. I'm going out soon to line up the cam gears. And, I'll check the egr. Thanks for the info!
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

why dont you just cap off the intercooler pipe infront of the TB..? you want find leaking air through the system right?
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cap off the throttle body, all that blow through is not good for your seals...
Old Sep 21, 2006, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fas4dr
check your egr valve and make sure the hose didn't pop off.
This is the problem. I just did a boost leak test last night to make sure everything was copesthetic and all the air was going straight out of the exhaust.

Behind the throttle body there are two vaccume lines. One has yellow dots and the other has green dots. The line with the green dots goes onto a nipple which is on the back side of the TB. You cannot see this nipple, but it is there.

My question is what would make this line come off? I am going to put a zip tie on it later today but it is a stock line.....