Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT clutch = ruined tranny

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2006, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACT clutch = ruined tranny

Well i have done alot of searches on this forum and found out alot about the ACT clutch and its weaknesess. So i figured i would share my horrible experince with my ACT clutch with you guys as another reason why not to get one.

So my stock clutch went out about 4 months after i bought my evo. (4 months of solid track time) It started slipping so i decided to go with the ACT street clutch. Me and my buddy did the install (it took all day) and the clutch seemed fine at first. About 2 months past and i noticed that from time to time when i would go into 5th gear fast it would make a slight grinding noise. If i shifted really slow it wouldnt do it. After a few weeks of hearing this i decided to change the fluid to BG snycro shift II. The first week was wonderful no grinding at all. Then I had this SRT-4 that wanted to run me on the highway and when we raced it grinded horribley going into 4th gear and 5th gear. About a week later i took it to the track to see what i was running now on my race gas map. First pass i couldnt even get the damn thing to go into 4th at all. It was like it was locked out. Second pass it went into 4th but grinded real bad. After those two passed i was done. I was really pissed that my transmission was acting up. Then to top the night off i got in car to leave the track and go to put in into reverse and gggggrrrrrrrr. I wont even go into reverse. I release the clutch and put the clutch back in and put in into gear first then try for reverse again. This time is doesnt grind but just wont go into reverse at all. Sometimes if you lift up on the clutch pedal when trying to go into reverse in my car it will slip right into reverse. Not this time i tried that and in started grinding. So now i have the delima what the hell is wrong. I am pretty convinced that it is my syncros and the ACT clutch is what messed them up. Im only hoping that the dealership will still cover my car under warranty. The car only has 17000 miles on it so its still under the waranty but i dont know if they will cover it because of all of my mods.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

I doubt that the dealer is gonna fix it. I would check other things out before u pull the tranny. Like the shifter bushings arnt torn or anything else that could effect shifting. Ive had an ACT before and didnt have any grinding problems with it but did wear it out in less then 16K. I have a Exedy Twin HD and love it best clutch Ive ever had for any of my cars.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just as a note you could have bent a fork too... it happened in my old boss's vette of all things
Old Oct 22, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Just as a note you could have bent a fork too... it happened in my old boss's vette of all things

Yeah i read about bending a fork too but from what i have read from experinces from people on this forum is that the ACT does bad things to syncros.

here are some quotes from DynoFlash.....

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
The bottom line is that the ACT street style clutch is way too heavy and has a terrible disnengagment. The puck style racing units they sell are much better shifting but IMHO the street style set up just wears the crap out of your syncros.

The japanese twin disc clutches are more money but they are vastly superior in shifft speed and feel.

Keep in mind for those who dont know Exedy makes the OEM clutch, supplies ACT with the clutch cover which it uses for its clutch which is a modified exedy pressure plate and makes a whole range of clutch offerings for the aftermarket.

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
The stock clutch has the same problem - its MASS (weight of the disk which is on the tranmission input shaft) and the design of the pressure plate and how it disengages when you shift.

This is why the carbon clutches shift so fast - almost like a dog box

I personally never liked the ACT heavy pedal feel and slow shifting action on the street units. A lot of the cars with ACT units I have driven have had weak syncros
Old Oct 22, 2006, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Odd your searching did not turn up the hundreds of threads describing the exact same problem with the OEM clutch from 03' to present. Not to defend ACT, but you skipped many important details in your post, like adjusting the pedal engagement for the new clutch, etc,etc.

**EDIT** Just saw your post above.

Last edited by wingless; Oct 22, 2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wingless
Odd your searching did not turn up the hundreds of threads describing the exact same problem with the OEM clutch from 03' to present. Not to defend ACT, but you skipped many important details in your post, like adjusting the pedal engagement for the new clutch, etc,etc.

**EDIT** Just saw your post above.
Trust me i did plenty of searcing even about the stock clutch.^^^

I adjusted pedal engagement and did a bleed and leak of the system.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Could just be you don't know how to drive. Not flaming, just throwing something out there.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

ACT street in my 04 for 2 1/2 years now, never grind any gears at all. Had ACT in my previous 2nd Gen DSM and works wonderful! are you sure u have it install right?
Old Oct 22, 2006, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Theibault
Could just be you don't know how to drive. Not flaming, just throwing something out there.

Yeah sure, well i guess seems like alot of other people dont either. This is just an informative post so keep you kiddy comments to yourself. This is my 4th project car and i have never had clutch/tranny problems like this before. Although they were not evo's.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4Gsixty3
ACT street in my 04 for 2 1/2 years now, never grind any gears at all. Had ACT in my previous 2nd Gen DSM and works wonderful! are you sure u have it install right?

Yeah my buddy that helped me is ase certified plus we had a step by step with pictures if we needed any help on anything. The evo clutch change is fairly easy just time consuming.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are tons of threads on the ACT lock-out issues, and how to remedy them, or get around them. I have gone thru a few clutches myself, Exedy triple carbon, and a Twin. I don't bad mouth them when they go bad, I was "hard on them". I knew about the "lockout" on the ACT's, but never had one. I don't know about the warranty stuff, I doubt it. Once they see the aftermarket clutch in there, I would guess they would say "Ahhhh NO." Good luck with your clutch, and I personally wouldn't put anything fluidwise in there but Stock. Good luck my friend, keep us posted.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had my act for 36k now. No grinding or any lock out. I've never heard of act ruining trannies...lol
Old Oct 22, 2006, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

SAME thing happened to me. I never adjusted the clutch pedal though. I had the same lock out in fourth and in reverse. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it under warranty. What were they going to tell me.. You were racing in reverse so we are going to deny the claim! I think ACT is a good clutch for the money. My next clutch is going to be n Exedy Twin disk HD.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
is this a twin disc?
Old Oct 22, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
have a ACT in my car since the 8k mark now i have 44k mile no problems and a few drag runs.

Quick Reply: ACT clutch = ruined tranny