Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anyone seen this malfunction before?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2006, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone seen this malfunction before?

Yesterday I was doing a little showboating for someone. At around 80mph I had to kick in the clutch and get on the brake to slow down for a yield sign and the engine started stumbling. All the indicator lights came on and my oil pressure gauge dropped off to zero. So I immediately shut the car off and coasted it into a parking lot. I tried to re-start the engine but all it would do was crank. Luckily I was near a Pep-Boys so I finally bought the OBD scanner I've been meaning to get. And here were my codes:

Camshaft position sensor malfunction
Crankshaft position sensor malfunction

So apparantly my timing skipped a beat, the ECU saw this and cut fuel and finally Mitsubishi has done something for a car that would save it! My question is, does anyone know why this could have happened? I am running GSC power cams and Fidanza cam gears with the stock timing belt. The belt has 35K miles on it, no broken teeth that I can find, and no tears or cracks.

Any input would be appreciated. The car runs fine after clearing the codes, I would just like to have some insight into this in case it happens again.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

I have gsc cams and fidanza cam gears as well. My car stalls out every once in a while. I dont know what it's from ive just learned to deal with it until I get a flash.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

holy crap not another one. I have been seeing a few posts on a similar issue with the same sensors recently, or its prob just because I was having the same issues and I have been looking for posts with these symptoms.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

bad crank sesnors will cause the car not to start. Not sure what the ohm reading is supposed to be.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct em if I'm wrong but didn't DSMs have a similar problem in which crankwalk would damage the crankshaft position sensor? the problem could be remedied for a limited time be replacing this sensor until the replacement was eaten eventually. I know this recent version of the 4g63 is much better than the old ones of DSMs past but it might be something to look into if there's multiple instances of this happening. Not to freak anyone out or anything. but just an idea I had.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Exact same thing happened to me on a hot day when I had the AC running and the car was idling for a few minutes....I went to take off and the car stuttered and stalled out.

Went to pep boys and had the code pulled, same ones you have. Never happened again, and this was about a week before I had my cams installed.

I'd say it's a little burp, don't sweat it yet.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

check your cams to see if it did jump time, my car did and it did run ok but I had to fix it with a new belt and a crank sensor
Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

I drove the car again today about 25+ miles with no problems and no SES light. Idle all the way up to about 5K rpm was fine. I haven't hammered on it since yesterday as I'm a little hesitant to repeat the symptoms. I have to make a pre-36K warranty run to the dealer this week so I'll ask for their imput. I don't care if they know I have mods, I just want to hear what they think before I start replacing parts.

And forgive my ignorance, but how will I know if my cams jumped timing? My gears are still set at zero (haven't had time to find a dyno and set my timing).
Old Feb 13, 2006, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

bump....anyone else?
Old Feb 13, 2006, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
I drove the car again today about 25+ miles with no problems and no SES light. Idle all the way up to about 5K rpm was fine. I haven't hammered on it since yesterday as I'm a little hesitant to repeat the symptoms. I have to make a pre-36K warranty run to the dealer this week so I'll ask for their imput. I don't care if they know I have mods, I just want to hear what they think before I start replacing parts.

And forgive my ignorance, but how will I know if my cams jumped timing? My gears are still set at zero (haven't had time to find a dyno and set my timing).
The last thing I would do is go to the dealer..they dont know anything. If they do they play dumb anyways. Someone just made a post about spun bearings and went to the dealer and said it was his the fact he had no cat which caused his spun bearing.. What kind of shyt is that. Anyways just my opinion...Do as you must.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Well like I said, I really don't care that the dealer knows I have mods. I pay to play, but if they can give me any insight as to the cause, I'm all down for the knowledge. The local dealer told me he'd call Mitsubishi and see what they have to say and get back with me. And I'm not afraid to call B.S. when I see it so if they try to give me the runaround I'll give them a piece of my mind.

The only warranty work I've ever claimed was a bad sending unit in my gas tank and my steering wheel leather cracking.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

I know what you are saying, but you are missing what I am saying. I am just merely stating that they dont know anything so how can they give you insight.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

By "they" I'm guessing you mean ALL Mitsubishi dealers across the entire world? Because apparantly you've visited them all and know what they do or don't.

Do me a favor, if you don't have anything constructive to add, please comment in someone else's thread who isn't seeking help.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
By "they" I'm guessing you mean ALL Mitsubishi dealers across the entire world? Because apparantly you've visited them all and know what they do or don't.

Do me a favor, if you don't have anything constructive to add, please comment in someone else's thread who isn't seeking help.
Well the reason I say it is because from the information gathered on this forum you see everyone pissed at dealerships and calling them stealerships..90% of posts on this forum about dealerships are negative. So you then come to the conclusion that they suck. But go for what you know, and as constructive how bout this, "Good Luck"

Last edited by mchuang; Feb 13, 2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

i've had this happen to me as well..except my car didnt crank when i tried to start it back up.
but it ended up being the crank angle sensor
changed it and after that the car started back with no problems...never had the problem since

up to this day i dont know how that sensor went bad..