Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Proper break-in for EXEDY HD TWIN clutch? Need input on procedures/methods

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2006, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proper break-in for EXEDY HD TWIN clutch? Need input on procedures/methods

What is the proper break-in procedure for an Exedy Twin HD or any other performance twin disk for that matter?

I have 50k on the car and the stock clutch is FRIED (surprised i got 50k outta it!), so i bought an Exedy HD twin clutch with exedy flywheel, factory throw-out bearing, and stainless steel clutch line.

I am going to have the clutch installed this weekend and i am wondering what other Exedy clutch-equipped evo owners did for the breakin? I have done a search and found out some info for breaking in the stock clutch and breaking in an engine, but none for exedy clutches

Should i stay below 3500 rpms? Off of boost? Do a lot of city and traffic driving? Heard the stop and go is what is really needed, and that i cant just do 500 miles of highway driving because the clutch needs a lot of engagement and disengagement.

SO what are the break-in procedures others used for aftermarket clutches?
HOW many miles should i allow for the break-in?

This is what exedy shows, 750 miles:
http://exedyusa.com/multimedia/specs...structions.pdf
Old Dec 20, 2006, 01:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Break in will be the same as any other clutch. No launching or banging gears for atleast 500 miles.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Glamor shots, hahahaha:

Cluuuuuuuuuuutch

Crazy packaging!

TOB
Old Dec 21, 2006, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

So do i need to stay below 3000 rpms? Is it necessary?

Stay off of boost?
Old Dec 21, 2006, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RED DEMON
So do i need to stay below 3000 rpms? Is it necessary?

Stay off of boost?

Stay out of boost, but you don't have to keep the RPMs down. Revving to 4000 or 4500 at light throttle without boost will load the clutch less than short shifting at 3000 with a bit more throttle input.

-Paul
Old Dec 21, 2006, 01:23 PM
Former Sponsor

I have broken in clutches two ways:

1. 500-750 miles of moderate driving, little WOT, no downshifting, etc

2. Drive 20 miles around town, then go on the highway and do some 5th gear pulls to around 130, then coast back down to 60 or so and do it again.

The second method has not lost me any clutch life as I got over 30k miles from an ACT with hard racing this way.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

dont foreget to remove the res. pill from the slave cylinder when you do your ss line.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

is that cerametallic?
Old Dec 22, 2006, 08:13 AM

1. Be prepaired for some clutch noise and a calf like a football player hahah. Most the twin discs ive seen on evos or installed have chatter when you rev it wile pressing the clutch pedal down.
2. The method i like to use on single or twin discs is the drive it no longer then 15 mins at a time in city streets and stuff and no longer then 30 mins on highway. Also no down shifting as this will give some what of shock on the clutch if you dont do it slow or easy enough. Dont take it wide open throttle or shift hard. And when youa re getting used to it and it chatters dont press the gas more and slip it more so it is smooth. THats a big no no. Dont slip it slowly because it feels like its going to die out. Just depress the clutch and try again. A lot of people have premature clutch failure on twin discs because they try to stop the chatter by slipping it longer and adding gas but that just kills the clutch.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

You need to stay of of boost keep it under 3000 rpm for 1500 miles waiting the extra 1000miles is worth it. It will last longer.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ctracer911
And when youa re getting used to it and it chatters dont press the gas more and slip it more so it is smooth. THats a big no no. Dont slip it slowly because it feels like its going to die out. Just depress the clutch and try again. A lot of people have premature clutch failure on twin discs because they try to stop the chatter by slipping it longer and adding gas but that just kills the clutch.
Is that only during the break-in period, or throughout the life of the clutch?
Old Dec 22, 2006, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

breakin procedures you guys are describing are for organic discs... cerametallic material is different. What the material on the clutch?
Old Dec 22, 2006, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

just drive the car nice and easy for 5-700 miles.NO launching or slipping take offs. You can go into boost but not over 15psi while accelerating thru the gears. You can downshift all you want as long as its under say around 4k. After 700 miles you can start to get on the car a lot harder but not crazy until about 1k miles just to play safe. After that let it rip all you want. Thats the way i broke in my exedy twin in my 03 and never had a problem with it. The only annoying noise you should hear is the decel noise which is normal and the trade off for the extra performance. Its the nature of the beast.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 08:18 PM
Account Disabled

you dont need to stay out of boost, just no unnecessary load. the clutch is good for over 500 lbs of tq dont forget, it can handle boost on a stock turbo no problem. The only thing you dont want is the clutch slipping too much and the discs getting glazed. you can drive normal, take it up to 7k WOT and go through all the gears. Just dont launch it, dont SLAM gears, and dont go into 5th gear at 30 mph and floor it. Even that last thing probably wouldnt make it slip if you had more then 2 miles on it.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joeymia
breakin procedures you guys are describing are for organic discs... cerametallic material is different. What the material on the clutch?
Yes, it is CERAMETALLIC

Quick Reply: Proper break-in for EXEDY HD TWIN clutch? Need input on procedures/methods