Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Redline shockproof Heavy in Tranny

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redline shockproof Heavy in Tranny

Was planning to run 2q heavy + 1q MTL in my evo and was curious what you guys think of this or running heavy at all in the tranny. I've read somewhere that it is GL-5 rated, but that was just one post here. As a gear oil, shockproof seems to have more protection and give the abilities to better lubricate like high weight oil, but also stay at a rated 75w90 friction factor at lower heats aka daily driving. MTL is 75w80 so the mix should put me slightly above the oe 75w85. I've heard of people running heavy, but I'm curious if my cocktail is a good idea for a double-duty street/race car.

Last edited by silex; Jan 3, 2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

i used to run the 75-90 shock proof redline in my tranny, and the same in my cusco front and rear diff, but after i tried the royal purple, i never looked at the red line again. The tranny shifts are so much smoother with the royal purple 75-90. Every shift was noticably better than with the redline oil. I would give it a try, i guarantee you will neve go back. Oh and if you do go with teh redline, make sure you dont use the 75-90NS. The ns stands for no slip addative, and this makes the tranny shift like it had 200,000 miles on it and i guarantee it will cause premature wear, i made that mistake once and removed it within 50 miles.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Were you running straight shockproof heavy in the tranny? That would be part of the probem of the notchiness under all conditions since it has the viscosity of syrup. After a bit more research it seems that shockproof light might be a but more compatible when mixing with MTL. Ultimately I'm going to mix it with MTL no matter what. Unless I can get a hold of MT-90 locally which I will run straight.

I really want to try running shockproof in the tranny since it has micro-bearings that help protect the gears and also since the front diff and tranny are one unit, you would think that shockrpoof would be a good alternative for straight tranny fluid.

Edit: Found this on the Aussie Redline site. Shockproof all around is what they recommend it seems.
http://www.redlineoil.com.au/oil-fin...ProductID=7591

Last edited by silex; Jan 3, 2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Just found this post from AMS. Granted it is over 2 years old now, but it offers a glimmer of hope for running shockproof in the tranny.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...3&postcount=34
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
HD Shockproof does NOT belong in the transmission... use the MT 90 if not using OEM (which is the best). Royal Purple=no good for our synchros.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

i used royal purple once...never again.it had a bad ticking sound for a while until the lifters filled up totally..went back to mobil 1
Old Jan 4, 2007, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Hard to reach a conclusion since I found AMS ran Redline SP Light as well as the Australian Redline site recommended SP Light or Heavy for the 'Manual Gearbox'. Unless Redline packages their products differently in other parts of the world, it appears that SP can be run in the tranny. Please keep in mind that the transaxle is the tranny combined with the front lsd diff. This might be why it is okay for an evo 7-9 to run shockproof whereas if you checked on the earlier evo 2-6, mt-90 is recommended. This is definitely news to me...
Old Jan 4, 2007, 12:13 AM
Evolved Member

I use the BG Synco mesh with one Lucus synthetic oil stablizer.....shift like butter. No notchy ness, goes in every gear without a hitch. 2005 with 35,500 miles.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

Shifts like butter because you're running 75w80 oil. It runs thin which leads to smoother shifts, but gives up the lubrication properties that a higher weight oil can provide.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 07:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
The problems with using Shockproof in the tranny are that it is not GL-4 (so it may cause corrosion of the synchros), and the EP additives may cause notchy shifting. Should be great for the gear teeth though.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

heavy shockproof is to thick royal purple is no good for the sycros mt90
Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

per AMS recomendation have for a year already. No problems . ALso have BGII.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Well guys I took the plunge! Purchased all mine from a local shop here in Costa Mesa, CA called Mesa Hoses. They took care of me and even discussed how they run straight sp heavy in their 3000hp drag car; make 20 passes and change it out. Must be tough stuff! So I thought let's step it down a notch for a street/track car that will see more abuse over a longer period of time so I chose to go sp light for the tranny. Plus the Aussie Redline site recommends to run what I chose. Hope this stuff holds out in the long haul.

Transaxle: Redline ShockProof Light
Center Diff: Redline ShockProof Heavy
Rear Diff: Redline ShockProof Light

This might not be what many others are running, but let me tell you guys...AMAZING. Whatever this stuff is...mirco bearing technology, it protects and sticks like a thick fluid should, but with the viscosity of a 75w90. Just took the car for a test drive and even cold it feels like it's shifting like a 75w80.

And yes, I heard that GL-5 could corrode the bronze synchros that us GSR owners have, but I got verification from Redline themselves that for one, the Shockproof has no GL rating so it technically can't be classified as anything and two that whatever additives they put in will NOT corrode brass AT ALL.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
That's interesting that you found that Aussie link, I found the same link a few months ago

Like I said in the other thread, I loved the heavyduty shockproof in my Nissan. It's a bit thicker than the MT-90 in cold (i.e. 30F) degree weather, but really not an issue at all and there was no noticable difference in warmer weather. One trick I learned though.... warm up the bottle of shockproof in a bucket of hot water to get it to pour faster!

I haven't looked over all the Redline info in a while, but I'll be going with either MT-90 or shockproof when I change out the fluids.

Glad to hear you like the results so far!
Old Jan 6, 2007, 12:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I use MT90 + 1/2qt of redline heavy in my 6spd.

Quick Reply: Redline shockproof Heavy in Tranny