Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mitsubishi PN# for a timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2007, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi PN# for a timing belt change

So after downloading the mitsu caps program i find that these are the required part numbers for a timing belt change..... correct me if im wrong...

03620-MR984778 Belt,balancer Timing
03616-MD352473 Tensioner,balance
03152-MD156604 Pulley,timing Belt
03110-MD326059 Belt,valve Timing
03178-MR984375 Adjuster,timing Belt
03158-MD369999 Pulley,timing Belt

Attached Thumbnails Mitsubishi PN# for a timing belt change-timing-belt.jpg   Mitsubishi PN# for a timing belt change-timing-belt-tensioner.jpg   Mitsubishi PN# for a timing belt change-balance-belt-tensioner.jpg  
Old Jan 5, 2007, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

bump anything im missing here?
Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Just FYI,... I just had mine done at dealer (not that mechanically inclined to tackle this one) and the Evo mechanic said it is standard procecdure NOT to replace belt tensioner, the balencer belt or the water pump at the 60k interval.
In fact they had to order it if I wanted it. I "know" the mechanic as he has worked on my car since I've owned it (2003) and he said that they replace both the tensioner and the water pump at the second replacement interval (120,000 miles).
But he said he always replaces the balencer belt (even though I requested it) on every timing belt change although he is not required by Mitsubishi procedures.

Also I told him I was going to buy one of those kevlar "super strong" belts, and he said he had installed two of them on seperate customers Evo's and one had to be put back to stock because it was getting chewed up by the cam gears because they are so tight and have so much rigidity and not enough flex. In fact he had the belt on his work area and showed me first hand and pretty much sold me on the stock belt, and that he has never seen a stock belt fail (under normal conditions and mileage). I only say this because I brought these questions up to him. Just FYI. I obviously dont know your situation or installation plans.

Last edited by BUCKNAKED; Jan 5, 2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

so your refering to the auto tensioner....? actual roller items? yeah im doing the install myself since i got screwed on my car during a clutch install i have done all my own work and been fine since... I was unsure about replacing the auto tensioner though wonder if anyone else would chime in on this.... or perhaps ill just make another topic.....
Old Jan 7, 2007, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

how much was parts and labor? And are you guys running on aftermarket cams/gears?
Old Jan 7, 2007, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

@ mitsubishiparts.net your looking @ 227.42 before shipping as far as labor i have no idea ill be doing the job myself....
Old Jan 7, 2007, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

I did quite a bit of searching before I did mine at 60K. I decided to do the balance belt, main timing belt and auto tensioner. Appearantly, the auto tensioner had a history of going out prematurely on the previous generation 4G63 (ie. before the Evo), but I couldn't find anything about them going out on Evo's. Better safe than sorry, so I did the auto tensioner. It's hydraulic, and if a seal goes, it's toast immediately with no warning. At least a pulley will usually make some noise (grind or squeal) before it totally goes, giving you a warning you need to do something before it locks up. I plan on doing this again plus all the pulleys and water pump at 120K if the motor lasts that long.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BaLListic_EVO
so your refering to the auto tensioner....? actual roller items? yeah im doing the install myself since i got screwed on my car during a clutch install i have done all my own work and been fine since... I was unsure about replacing the auto tensioner though wonder if anyone else would chime in on this.... or perhaps ill just make another topic.....
\

Yes I was refering to the auto tensioner. What Doubleugly01 said about it having a "reputation of premature failure"ONLY WITH OLDER ENGINES NOT THE EVO
is exactly what the mechanic told me. He must have really noticed is was concerned about not replacing it because when I pick it up he said specifically that he checked it and it had no signs of premature wear etc. and has not seen one fail before 120k when Mitsubishi recommends replacement.

The unfortunate thing about these forms is along with solid factual info, there is also opinions, SOME lead to a falce concensus about a certain mechanical issue or product failure etc. I as well as most others, make it a habbit to search anything I need answers about first and decern the overall concensus about it and then go to the dealer (if I can't do the work myself) and talk to the mechanic who is going to work on my car to get the "Ideal" answer. They are not like the service reps who push unneeded service add ons or scare you that if you don't take action then and there or your car is going to fall apart .

On a side note something I diden't know was Mitsubishi dealerships only have a select few mechanics who are qualified to work on Evo's. I only know this because I tried to make an appointment one day and they say both their Evo mechanics were not available and to come in on a different day. This is why I have had the same mechanic for over 2years and knows when I come in I ask a lot of questions and is happy to stop what he is doing to answer them. Biggers Mitsubishi of Elgin IL