Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cheap gas over 91 octane

Old May 25, 2003, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap gas over 91 octane

Found 100 octane on buyracegas.com for $50 for a 5 gallon drum.

Just wondering if anyone has found some nice price for any octane over 91 for those of us who are not lucky enough to be buy a 76 with race fuel; Wherever this may be. Post it up guys! Let everyone take advange!

Jay
Old May 25, 2003, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

I paid like $48 for a 5 gallon tub of VP Racing fuel 103 octane. Got it at a shop. Look around I'm sure you can find cheaper.
Old May 25, 2003, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html

Here is a link i copied here from another post. You can get toluene for about 5-7 $ a gallon. It also comes in 5 gallons.
Old May 25, 2003, 05:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I buy race gas for $35/5 gallons! ARD motorsports in Chula Vista, Ca. Website: ardmotorsports.com
Old May 25, 2003, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by mojo
http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html

Here is a link i copied here from another post. You can get toluene for about 5-7 $ a gallon. It also comes in 5 gallons.
Wow. I've never even heard of this before. I read the whole thing. I have to ask if anyone has tried using this stuff. At that price I would definitely like to switch to that. IF it's safe for my car. I'd like to hear some long term results.
Old May 25, 2003, 08:13 PM

Re: Cheap gas over 91 octane

Originally posted by FresnoKaliRacer
Found 100 octane on buyracegas.com for $50 for a 5 gallon drum.

Just wondering if anyone has found some nice price for any octane over 91 for those of us who are not lucky enough to be buy a 76 with race fuel; Wherever this may be. Post it up guys! Let everyone take advange!

Jay
Bryant 76 at 99/Chestnut(on the way to the street races). 100 octane @ $4.50/gal
Old May 26, 2003, 02:01 AM

Whao you serious!? Over there? I've never seen it *slaps forehead* I've even looked on the 76 station website.. didn't list it anywhere close to here! Thank God You know this forum!

Jay

Yeah I'd like to hear if anyone has taken advantage of that Toluene! Anyone experiemented yet? I rememver reading about this article before.. I don't know if it was once lancerforums.. or I-club... someone has to have by now...

BTW Thanks for the article MOJO!

Last edited by FresnoKaliRacer; May 26, 2003 at 02:39 AM.
Old May 27, 2003, 12:51 AM

Anyone on this Toulene additive?
Old May 27, 2003, 01:00 AM
Evolving Member

I've done a search online about it and apparently it's been used for a LONG time and in LOTS of stuff. It's in paint thinner, solvents, detergents, glue, plastics, octane booster, used to make airplane fuel, etc. It has been used for a long time to add octane to fuel.

From what I read it's safe in small doses. Basically mix it with your regular fuel to up the octane to maybe 94 or so. Especially with prolonged use. Toluene is actually used in our current gasoline just in very small amounts. In pure form it's 114 octane or 118. I've seen both numbers so don't know which is true. I think the biggest problem would be finding it. I'm going to check my local paint shops. ALSO there's the chemical warnings about the stuff. Don't inhale, over expose yourself to the fumes, etc. Too high a concentration can wear out the rubber in the fuel lines and what not. Mainly due to it's high toxicity and ability to act as a solvent.
It is still used in over the shelf octane boosters and in race fuel.

One thing I didn't know about bottled octane boosters is that they put small amounts of tranny fluid and detergent in there. I think just the ones that claim to clean and lubricate the engine or some crap like that.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 27, 2003, 01:20 PM

Alright Evilution thanks! Looks like I'll go out hunting today to see who carries it around here!

Jay
Old May 27, 2003, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

I've been doing some research into toluene, and its cousin xylene... My findings:

It's hard to find toluene, at least in my region. It's abused as an inhalant, and it's apparently used by some to make methamphetamine, and a lot of stores just don't carry it -- they don't want drug abusers and manufacturers' business.

You can find Xylene, which is very similar chemically. Toluene is methyl benzene, Xylene is di-methyl benzene. Twice the methyl, twice the fun.

Xylene is available at Home Depot in my area, for around $8 a gallon.

Xylene is virtually interchangeable with toluene as an octane booster. In either case, I wouldn't exceed a 1:3 ratio of toluene/xylene to gasoline, even though some will go as high as a 1:2 ratio. The reason is that toluene/xylene doesn't have any lubricants, detergents, or any of the other beneficial gasoline additives.

As far as the "warnings" about xylene's (or toluene's) toxicity, yes, it's toxic and can be dangerous if you're not careful. But it's almost certainly safer than gasoline in almost every way that matters -- less toxic, higher flashpoint (less likely to explode). Toluene and xylene break down into "less harmful" chemicals in sunlight. If you treat toluene/xylene with the respect that you treat gasoline, you'll have no problems.

One last thing -- during the turbo era of Formula 1 in the 1980s, most of the F-1 cars were running a fuel which was about 84% toluene. And they were extracting close to 1500 hp out of a 1.5 liter engine. Obviously, you won't see those results yourself, but give it a try.
Old May 27, 2003, 02:02 PM

Yea Reilly is right, theres a few other places in town you can get it to if im not mistaken.
Old May 27, 2003, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, great to hear that I can get the 100 Octane at 99 and Chestnut station.... long drive from Coarsegold, but can stop by there whenever in Fresno.

You guys know of any other stations in Fresno with it (near the Airport?). Or maybe in Madera ... thinking of the racetrack there.

Anyway, totally off topic, but how many Evo owners in Fresno? Was surprised to see you guys all pop up.... still haven't seen another EVo in valley or in Bay Area...., but heard all the rumors about the red one (FresnoKaliRacer... is that you with the busted clutch at 500 miles? Legend already!!). I'm just an old guy who's more into the cornering and handling than straight-line speed... but I hate that drop off when the timing retards over 5.5k rpm... california gas SUCKS!!

Anyway, I don''t ever race, just spend most my time driving fast enough on some sweet mountain roads up by my house, but would be cool to hook up with some other Fresno Evos sometime.. like to get a photo. BTW, got silver sunroof, bone stock with 4k miles, most likely to see me on HWY 41 in the mountains or around Olive and First at the Lao markets and restaurants.....

So what other stations in Fresno with 100 OCTANE??
Old May 27, 2003, 09:48 PM

The airport will have Av-gas, used to run it in a very fast 65 bug I used to have 13:1 cr needs it

I know the 76 station on 152 in Los Banos has 100 oct. also.

I do not have my EVO yet......soon, in the middle of refinancing my house, and selling my turbo Civic!

Getting together for photos sounds cool...after I get mine
Old May 27, 2003, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Reilly, I owe you my first born (I'll want to give it away anyway!!).

I drive through Los Banos EVERY Friday night and EVERY Sunday night on my way to and from this ****hole called San Francisco.... back to paradise in the Sierra foothills. (I work up here.. sucks!)

So, the 76 station, right in the middle of Los Banos, on the South side of the stree ... kinda near the 2 Chevron stations, right?

Will check it out Friday night, and if they have it, that is my new regular supply of gas. THANKS MAN!

here's to you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheap gas over 91 octane