Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

oil was overfilled

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2007, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil was overfilled

I read a few posts regarding this but they seemed to be smaller overfills. We had our oil changed a couple weeks ago at a honda dealer b/c no mitsu dealers close. We give them a unopen case(6bottles) of oil and they usually use 5. This time we didnt realize right away we did not get the extra quart of oil back. When we did see, we figured someone pocketed it at the dealer. We didnt think anything of it until the father-in-law told us he had oil on his driveway. My wife drove the car home and later that night said there was a little bit of oil in our garage. I checked to see where the oil was leaking and it seems to be coming from the oil filter. I also noticed under the hood a hose (I believe its to recycle fumes from the crankcase) that connects a little below the BOV was disconnected and the tip was oily/dirty(maybe too much pressure d/t excessive oil??). I plugged that back in. I checked the oil level and its WAY above the top indentation. I am thinking that the Honda dealer put all 6 quarts in. We are taking it back to the Honda dealer tomorrow to get them to drain some out, but I was wondering what more knowledgeable people think I should do. We are driving to California (~500 miles) in 3 weeks. Should I have the vehicle inspected at a Mitsubishi dealer in Phoenix (its a 2.5 hr drive)? Should I have the Honda dealer that performed the oil change sign something saying that they overfilled it and they will pay for repairs if any damage results. I try and get everything in writing so as to not get screwed. Or, is the likelihood of damage low and not necessary for mitsubishi to check it out? We could get some fluids changed for the 30k mile so a trip down to phoenix wouldnt be completely useless. We just wanted to go after the Cali trip. What do you guys think I should do? Thanks again
Old Jan 28, 2007, 03:44 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never trust a hon-duh dealer to change the oil to an intricate rally machine. I would go back and have them sign paperwork stating that they overfilled it and if any damage should result they would be held responsible.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Okay, get everything in writing. Then get your hands dirty, get under that car and drain a little bit of the oil out of it. Your engines life is at stake for God's sake.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

The oil pan sits below the crankshaft. When the oil is overfilled, the rotating crankshaft slaps the oil in the overfilled oil pan (even though some oil is being circulated throughout the engine). This slapping of oil as the crankshaft rotates puts tremendous amounts of stress on the bearings. This is known to happen to 4G63 engines in dsms. I'm not sure if its the same with the newer Evo generation 4G63. Just a precaution, you should check the crankshaft bearings. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 03:52 PM

we already put 600+ miles on it since the oil change (phx and back and a some odd end driving). i will let the honda dealer drain it out since they screwed it up. I want them to see how high it is, too. What about having a mitsubishi dealer check it out this next weekend? Is that overkill?
Old Jan 28, 2007, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

If you've provided the oil, I'm sure you've also provided the oil filter as well. Why didn't you just do it yourself. It's very simple, you don't even have to jack the car up. This is why I never take my car in for oil changes. You know exactly what goes in when you do the work, and how much.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Take some oil out now!!!!!!!
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Evil_1
If you've provided the oil, I'm sure you've also provided the oil filter as well. Why didn't you just do it yourself. It's very simple, you don't even have to jack the car up. This is why I never take my car in for oil changes. You know exactly what goes in when you do the work, and how much.
Because he chose not to do it himself.

Anyway, tell them you want the car picked up by a tow truck and brought to the closest Mitsu dealer for inspection. Have Mitsu drain the oil and check the amount that was filled. Have everything documented.

The Honda dealer is liable for any damage done by overfilling the oil.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Illrunya
Take some oil out now!!!!!!!
NO! He needs it documented by the Mitsu dealer to hold the Honda dealer liable. Have it towed, End of story!
Old Jan 29, 2007, 08:15 AM

I called 2 separate mitsubishi dealers this morning and they said to make sure the Honda dealer drained the oil to the suggested level. I asked if they(mitsu dealer) should inspect it for damage and both said it was not necessary. I guess the guy who normally works @ the honda dealer & on our car there left. Too bad b/c they only change 11 bucks if we bring our own oil and filter. Thanks for the help everybody!!