Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

titanium gear replacement for MR 4th gear problem?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2007, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb titanium gear replacement for MR 4th gear problem?

Ok- so I have been concerned the last few days after reading some other threads where MR owners (for the most part auto-X racers with modded MRs) have reported destroying their 4th gear... the problem seems like it is partly due to heat, but even more due to 4th and 5th gear in the 6 speed being not as wide (I think 2mm narrower) than in the 5speed Evo gear box... reason being they have to stuff a 6 speed tranny in the same amount of space as the 5 speed fits in basically, and the way they did this is by making gears 4, 5, and 6 narrow... A lot of Auto-X racers especially blow this gear up because they have to stay in 4th gear alot... It seems that there is no way of replacing 4th with a wider (stronger) gear that can stand up to the repeated abuse and a lot of these people end up replacing the 6 speed with a 5 speed!

Well.... so here is what I was thinking... is there anybody out there that can make a 4th (or any gear for that matter) that is made out of a stronger more heat resistant material such as titanium? I would hate to have to switch to a 5 speed if I blew up one of my gears, but I would hate even more to have a rebuild and blow one up a second time, u know????? So is there anybody who makes such a thing or any other solution? My car as is will not likely encounter such a problem, but down the road when I add a stroker I will be a bit more worried! Any thoughts anyone?
Old Jan 29, 2007, 04:37 PM
Account Disabled

a side note, autox is not done in 4th, your are talking about road racing...as for the titanium gears, i haven't heard of any...
Old Jan 29, 2007, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

nobody makes ti gears because they wouldn't be any stronger, just lighter. ti is only stronger per unit mass, not per unit volume. and since the gears are a fixed size, you can't take advantage of the trade-off.

just get a new stock gearset from sheptrans and get it REM treated and Cryo'd.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, we're losing 4th while road racing. Huge difference from auto-x, which is done in parking lot with cones. Never heard of titanium gears, and the two main Evo trans builders don't have a solution for putting in a different gear right now.

Since you don't know what auto-x and road racing are, then I would guess you don't do either of them. Therefore, you should have no worry about losing 4th gear...
Old Jan 30, 2007, 03:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll knock on wood and say don't beat on your car for more than 25-30 minutes at a time (normally get the tires greasy by that point, as i'm pushing for more).

AND run STOCK fluid.

28 events. No,no,no. 28 HARD events. no issues.

thx.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Yeah, we're losing 4th while road racing. Huge difference from auto-x, which is done in parking lot with cones. Never heard of titanium gears, and the two main Evo trans builders don't have a solution for putting in a different gear right now.

Since you don't know what auto-x and road racing are, then I would guess you don't do either of them. Therefore, you should have no worry about losing 4th gear...

thanks for the responses, its impressive how many knowledgable people are on this forum! Oh, and Warr u are right- I thought auto-x and road racing were the same thing.. obviously I dont do either one... my bad on that! So does anyone on here know if people have lost a gear just from running too much power (not road racing)? Just wondering if a 2.3/gt35 setup (strictly street driven, fluids OEM and changed often) would kill a gear eventually?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe inconel gears? That would be way stronger than Ti. Like said before though, if the 2 top tranny builders dont have a option for 4,5,6 then we are pretty SOL for right now.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What everyone said .... not to mention the cost involve in making titanium gear would be so great that it would most likely be cheaper to just swap in a 5 speed tranny. If there was a viable solution, I'm sure Jon@TRE or John Sheppard would have already implemented it. I believe Voidhawk busted his 6 speed twice during regular street driving ... So we're pretty much SOL.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

like someone said earlier.. if your super worried about busting it, get the gear cryo'd. it will be a ton stronger than stock, but im not making any problems that you wont break it.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shep said the cryo treatment won't make a big difference, because the teeth are still just too tiny and weak. He likened the 4-6 gears in the 6spd to a 100hp Civic transmission...