Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Idle Video of GSC S2 Cams / Vavle Springs Installed!

Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Idle Video of GSC S2 Cams / Vavle Springs Installed!

Well yesterday I went ahead and swapped out my HKS 264 cams with GSC S2 cams and GSC Single Spring / Chro-Molly Retainer.

The install took about 5 hours to complete start to finish. I followed the write up in the how-to forums on how to swap out the valve springs with the head still on the car and it was a breeze to do!

Link to How-To

Here are some pictures of the difference between the stock springs / retainers vs. the GSC’s.

I also made a video of the car starting up and the sound of the cams idleing. Keep in mind this is untuned yet for the cams this was simply a start up to test the functionality of them. Also the idle is around 1200 RPM! I can’t wait to drop that down and let the car warm up to 800 RPM to hear these babies loop!!!

Here is the video!

Another thing I want to point out! Greg at GSC is the man. I dealt with him from start to finish and had a great experience! I took his recommendation and did exactly what he said, he has so much experience with cams and different profiles that I knew he was the right man for the job. I posted up a couple weeks back and he was one of the only vendors to respond and HELP me choose what was best for MY car not best for GSC! He guided me in the right direction and I am very satisfied with the outcome.

I am going to do a before and after log with DataLogLab once I get the car back on the road again (didn’t want to drive it with all the salt). I just started it and made sure everything was good to go for when it does come out. When this happens I will be presenting the pure facts as numbers don’t like.

A Dyno here does me no good as I have no data before I put these cams in the car. However, I have tons of data with Mitsulogger/EvoScan and data plots in DataLogLab to plot out my baseline and show a before / after. In the end a horsepower number is nothing! A before and after representation is the best kind of data you can use, it will tell you if you are going faster, and that’s what matters!

Let me know what you guys think!

~Zach

Last edited by phenem; Feb 11, 2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:49 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idles too smooth.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

sounds great imo
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Greg,

What is the proper break in procedure for these cams?

I was told typically you hold revs at 2-3 grand for 20 mins (driving it) to scrub the cams in.

What do you recommend?

~Zach
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dan l
Idles too smooth.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
dork

nice

cb
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
sounds good! great job
Old Feb 11, 2007, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
dork

nice

cb

Get that DYNO ready, I will be bringing a thunderstorm of cars your way!

~Zach
Old Feb 11, 2007, 02:08 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
did ya see this?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=nicksevo.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...PICT1571-1.flv

336/316 on the ix... stock turbo...

cb
Old Feb 11, 2007, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
NICE! The dyno looks sweet!! I can't wait to come down and see it!

~Zach
Old Feb 11, 2007, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

sounds good...Itll sound even better once you get it tuned

Cant wait to see some results
Old Feb 13, 2007, 09:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the comments Zach, we try to make sure people get what they need, regardless if its our products or others. I can't wait to hear what you have to say once you get it out on the road and tune her. It's probably going to be something close to what happened this weekend i got a "oh **** thats way more boost than before" answer "well the log says 23psi which is the same it was",,, "no ****? , hell yeah!"
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GregGSC
Thanks for the comments Zach, we try to make sure people get what they need, regardless if its our products or others. I can't wait to hear what you have to say once you get it out on the road and tune her. It's probably going to be something close to what happened this weekend i got a "oh **** thats way more boost than before" answer "well the log says 23psi which is the same it was",,, "no ****? , hell yeah!"
dude... the first pull it seriously felt like the car was over boosting or something.... Im a gonna take the whip out for a lil drive after work today, its that fun to drive!

n
Old Feb 13, 2007, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nils
dude... the first pull it seriously felt like the car was over boosting or something.... Im a gonna take the whip out for a lil drive after work today, its that fun to drive!

n

Where did you buy your GSC S1 cams? Are they available now? How much whp did you gain? Are they that good?
Old Feb 13, 2007, 05:26 PM
Account Disabled

I wasn't quite aware of the lift the s2 cams have. I know ramp rates have a lot (possibly more) to do with how much valvespring you need but I'd say that I'm glad greg talked zach into the springs. The stock evo beehive springs IMO are a nice spring but probably not up to the task of those cam's lift even at the lowish rpm's of a stroker. It just makes me feel more warm and fuzzy inside when he gets his car out again this spring.

The HKS cams did keel over a bit on top so hopefully these alleviate most of this. You could see in if you watched the IPW or load. Also the GSC cams have a "thicker" core than the HKS cams. I'm sure its not a reliability issue in the HKS cams but anybody who has ever hand turned a cam knows how much stress a camshaft sees at high rpm. I like seeing a thick core because I remember a few cars back in the day that snapped cams, its ugly! These cams have tons of lift (compared to what I"m used to) which is what I like on turbo motors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idle Video of GSC S2 Cams / Vavle Springs Installed!