Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Power and MPG DOWN. Help Greatly Appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power and MPG DOWN. Help Greatly Appreciated!

I just want to start off by saying that yes, I have searched, and read through many many posts regarding the "syptoms" that my IX is showing. Unfortunately for me and my EVO, it has so far just kept me looking harder and harder. So Im hoping that I can get more ideas and help.

PROBLEM:

My EVO IX has 3800+ miles on her right now. The car is still COMPLETELY bone stock(due in large part to what is going on...lol). I broke the car for the first 500 miles, and took it easy for the most part with the occasional WOT as the miles started to rack up. After breaking her in, my lead foot was present now and then, although I didn't drive her to the point where I feel like I was abusing her.

Stock, I was impressed with the power, espescially since I was coming from an VIII, and I had an idea of how my VIII felt stock compared to my IX. I caught the occasional highway pulls, and was pleased with the stock performance. My younger bro has a bone stock Mazdaspeed 3, and we used to go at it, with me putting about 2 or so cars on him from a 2nd gear to 4th gear pull. My gas mileage was also very impressive compared to my VIII. On my very first tank I hit 290 miles to a tank compared to 220 to a tank on my flashed VIII.

Everything seemed to be going well, and I was looking forward to ordering parts, getting a tune, and gunning for 11s. Then one night, me and my bro was cruising around and decided to do some pulls(even though we had done it many times already). We did about 5 or so and the outcome was the same for the most part. All of a sudden, after that(6th+) pull, I noticed that it seemed as though I was losing power up top in 4th and he would end up pulling back to dead even. At the time, I figured it was heat soak, or something insignificant due to the back to back pulls.

I did a visual on the IC pipes(from what was exposed since I just pulled into a gas station shortly after), and vacuum lines, and everything seemed fine. Car drove fine under normal driving conditions, but it was only at WOT that it seemed as though power was lacking a bit up top. I also noticed that my gas mileage started to drop significantly. At this point I was getting about 210-220. BTW, on just the last tank which I finished last night, I was only able to get 187 miles to the tank. Now it IS freezing here in NY, but that is pretty damn low considering that I was getting over 100 more miles not too long ago.

I know that people are going to suggest to do a boost leak test. I have bought the parts to put the tester together, but between the cold winter weather, the recent snow, and work, I have not had the time. I did take off the plastics on the bottom and do a visual on the lower IC pipes. Everything looked good. I then brought my car to a friend's auto shop in hopes that we could look for leaks in a warm garage. He told me to come early before he had to start working on customer's cars so he could check mine out. He hooked up a leak tester using smoke to a vacuum line, but we could not visually see any smoke arising from a leak. He then scanned the OBD reader, and said that according to fuel trim results, it looked as though my car was dumping fuel(which makes sense considering my drop in MPG). He suggested that since my car was bone stock and pretty much brand new I should take it to my local dealer's service dept. Well, we all know where that went...lol. The dealer blamed my issues on a bad tank of gas even though I mentioned that this had been going on for the past 2-3 tanks of gas already. They said that nothing came up from their test.

I did find the Warrtalon post about the "snorkel" issue. I then ran outside hoping that I was missing a plastic clip/screw. But again, my car is bone stock and those clips were right there. The snorkel seemed to be firmly held in place. I also recently installed a DEFI boost guage, and the boost is showing a 20 psi spike in 3rd gear WOT which drops to 14 psi by redline. It seems low, but according to searches, its within limits I guess, although I would think that with the colder weather, it may be a bit higher(its 10 degrees).

At this point, I just need help. Im a bit frustrated with the whole situation, and the fact that its so freakin cold out that I can't even work on the car the way I would like since this is more of a "search".

Im hoping anyone can help with their own experiences, and advice to get this issue resolved ASAP.

TIA!

Last edited by spoolinEVO8; Feb 16, 2007 at 02:15 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:08 AM

Mods, please delete this thread. I just realized that I posted this in the General forum when I meant to post it in the Turbo/Drivetrain forum.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pull your plugs and inspect them.

Do the boost leak test

reset your ecu (my car seems to run better when I do but I might be stupid, or nuts, or both)

report your findings.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it your hiting 20psi there no reason it shuld be slow. your not reallying boost so i dont think its a boost leak. maybe you just got use to the power
Old Feb 16, 2007, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by riceball777
it your hiting 20psi there no reason it shuld be slow. your not reallying boost so i dont think its a boost leak. maybe you just got use to the power
well...the problem isnt really that I "feel" that its slower. The problem is more along the lines of the fact that it IS slower and my mpg took a crapper ever since my car got slower.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by 4TUN8
pull your plugs and inspect them.

Do the boost leak test

reset your ecu (my car seems to run better when I do but I might be stupid, or nuts, or both)

report your findings.
Im gonna try and pull the plugs first thing in the morning. The boost leak test I don't think will happen tomorrow though considering how cold its gonna be.

Ill also do a reset on the ECU and see if that does anything.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 01:39 AM
Evolving Member

well on my first tank of gas i got around 280-290 aslo, but that's because i was breaking the car in and i wasn't boosting at all, as i got close to 1000 miles i started boosting for 3k-4.5k rpm and i got 240 on a tank of gas...i barely have 2 weeks with the car so i don't know what's the average miles you get on a tank of gas...anyone?
Old Feb 16, 2007, 02:15 AM

240 while boosting and getting on the gas sounds about right.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

What about fuel pump? That might be a reason too.

Definately should take care of that!!!! Man, o man, I'm tired of 's warranty crap
Old Feb 16, 2007, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

240 on a tank for a stock car is very normal.
Before I had a tune I was getting around 240-260 miles on a tank.
It's slightly better after a cutom flash...I get around 280 miles a tank now.

But...for some reason this very cold weather makes my car eat gas a bit more.
Now I average about 240 on a tank again.
I am assuming it's because I was using a lot more heat , thus causing the car
to use slightly more fuel.

I would really recommend a leakdown test and also a compression check.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 06:22 PM

man....I miss getting that type of MPG. After not even hitting 200 on my last tank, Im just the more frustrated that the moment. I did not have time today to check the plugs. Im hoping to get it checked out and probably take some pics of it as well this weekend.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Evolution[OH]
What about fuel pump? That might be a reason too.

Definately should take care of that!!!! Man, o man, I'm tired of 's warranty crap
Has other people been having issues with the stock fuel pump? Ill do a quick search, but I dont remember hearing or reading about people having those kind of issues.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 19psi
240 on a tank for a stock car is very normal.
Before I had a tune I was getting around 240-260 miles on a tank.
It's slightly better after a cutom flash...I get around 280 miles a tank now.

But...for some reason this very cold weather makes my car eat gas a bit more.
Now I average about 240 on a tank again.
I am assuming it's because I was using a lot more heat , thus causing the car
to use slightly more fuel.

I would really recommend a leakdown test and also a compression check.
280 would be nice, did you get those kind of numbers with mods on you car? if so would mind telling me what you have....
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

I just have a TBE (witha high flow cat) and a MBC followed by a AMS custom flash.

Everything else is bone stock.
BTW, I also have a stock airbox.

My car put down 307whp/310tq @ AMS dyno.

On a side note: I get 280miles on a tank with mixed driving. 30% street/70% highway.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Change your primary O2 sensor and see if your gas mileage improves. Sometimes these narrowband sensors fail and this affect gas mileage.