Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mobil 1 to Royal purple

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mobil 1 to Royal purple

i am currently running mobil 1 FS 10w-30 and want to switch to royal purple FS 10w-30..its fine if i just switch over right? i always use oem filter as all the veterans say there the best, but m i correct on that? i heard mobil is switching over to some lower grade oils but they will still be sold the same as they are now. many of my friends work at dealerships and own autobody and repair shops.. they said stop using the mobil 1 and goto royal purpe because it is the best since mobil has done that(he says royal purple is the best even before).but i want your guys info..thanks
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:28 PM

I heard Royal Purple is pretty good. I have a friend who has switched to 20w-50 on his Jag. Heard somewhere that the oil actually does add HP (minimal) but because of its viscosity adds better compression... Only thing is you need to warm up the oil before running it. Others more experienced may have a say whether to switch or not though.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

there are alot of members running royal purple. search "royal purple." if its true about mobile 1 i will start using amsoil
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LoKiMR
I heard Royal Purple is pretty good. I have a friend who has switched to 20w-50 on his Jag. Heard somewhere that the oil actually does add HP (minimal) but because of its viscosity adds better compression... Only thing is you need to warm up the oil before running it. Others more experienced may have a say whether to switch or not though.
i dont understand what you mean by that i have to warm up the oil before running it. and remember i am running 10w-30 i do not understand about the 20w-50 that cant be motor oil. that is like diesel oil.i dont understand what your talking about..others please chime in..wheres warr when i need him.lol.thanks
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo150
there are alot of members running royal purple. search "royal purple." if its true about mobile 1 i will start using amsoil
what is good about amsoil? i have never heard of anyone running that. AND yes,what i was saying about mobil 1 is true. they might not admitt it but my 2 friends did tests against the mobil 1 that was produced about 6-8 months ago and the lubricants are diffrent and the formula's were different as well. therefore we should all be switching..but still is it ok to make that change so sudden.. using an oem oil filter is still the best right?thanks again guys for your time
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mobil 1 is great oil. I dont understand why people freak out because a few members say its no longer fully synthetic? Thats so stupid. Im not saying thats your reason for switching, so dont take it the wrong way.

Yes run OEM filter, one of the best, if not the best filter for the evo.

You can change to a different brand sythetic oil every oil change if you want, nothing will happen to your engine.

Ive ran Amsoil, royal purple and redline in my G35 coupe, and ran the car hard. I could not tell the smallest diff. between them, so i settled on the cheapest and reputable Mobil 1. Yes its a NA V6, and an evo is a boosted I4, so maybe you will feel something, let us know. Im very curious. take care.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

i use royal purple it seem doing good , i need to warm it up a good 10min b4 i drive it , and after that i drive for a good 10min I put it to the limit with my gt37 full race kit 550 whp ...
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRevolutionRed
what is good about amsoil? i have never heard of anyone running that. AND yes,what i was saying about mobil 1 is true. they might not admitt it but my 2 friends did tests against the mobil 1 that was produced about 6-8 months ago and the lubricants are diffrent and the formula's were different as well. therefore we should all be switching..but still is it ok to make that change so sudden.. using an oem oil filter is still the best right?thanks again guys for your time
members have said mobil 1 is switching from a group 4 to a group 3 oil which is the same as pennzoil platinum and castrol syntec. Group 3 oils are not fully synthetic but highly refined conventional oil. royal purple and Amsoil is still using group 4 full synthetic oils.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo150
members have said mobil 1 is switching from a group 4 to a group 3 oil which is the same as pennzoil platinum and castrol syntec. Group 3 oils are not fully synthetic but highly refined conventional oil. royal purple and Amsoil is still using group 4 full synthetic oils.
which would mean that the royal purple and amsoil are the best right?im going from what you are saying.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do not you put the best group V oil? (pure ester)

Warm up the oil? better compression? more hp with a more viscous oil?

Time to learn more about engine oils
Old Feb 20, 2007, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

Oil debates are always so much fun! So much rampant speculation and "angels dancing on pin heads."
Most people who don't road race (meaning those who don't change oil every weekend or two,) will not experience any difference of any kind by switching to something other than the recommended M-1. For most of us (who take care of our cars religiously), the stuff doesn't even stay in long enough to be much of a factor in engine longevity. Here's a personal anecdote: when I had a Vette C5, it had an oil change monitor built into the computer. I ran normal for 4K miles, and couldn't get the oil down below 70 per cent "used up." At that rate, it would have run for around 10K before the computer said "change it."
How many of you even run your oil for 6K?
Most of us are just wasting oil...
Old Feb 20, 2007, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

switching from one brand of synthetic oil to the next wont effect your motor but if you switch from synthetic to conventional and then back again, thats bad...I run royal purple cause it has detergents in the oil which help keep your motor clean plus it "frees" up power that your motor is losing with other oils, so Ive been told...lol

PS - there is a 20w-50 motor oil...when its used all depends on the motor and application
Old Feb 20, 2007, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

I did the switch from Mobil to Purple 9k miles ago.
Just did the switch for peace of mind having a group 4 oil and not going backwards to a group 3.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mobil 1 technically is not fully synthetic, however it is still a very good "synthetic" oil, and in my opinion it is better than Royal purple (Royal purple non racing oil isn't that good). In all the tests conducted, Amsoil seemed to perform a little better than Mobil 1 (did way better than Royal Purple by far). I also noticed when using Royal Purple that I consumed oil *much* faster than when I used Mobil 1 or Amsoil (perhaps the flashpoint of Royal Purple is a little lower?). AMSOIL 10w30 turbo formulation FTW.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

It really doesnt matter... you wont feel the difference in power(if theres any)... both oils are synthetic and both are good.. the only difference i think is that royal purple is a lil more expensive and its actually purple too... other than that it doesnt matter which one u use....

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 to Royal purple