Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Why pay $80.00+ for a manual boost controller?

Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why pay $80.00+ for a manual boost controller?

Ok another thread for EVO owners looking to modify their cars. For a very long time I had this drilled and stuck in my head that the Forge UNOS manual boost controller is the best, but it seems like overboosting has been an issue, has a large minority of EVO owners had such an issue with the Forge UNOS manual boost controller? Also is it truly the best, what sets it apart from the others such as Hallman and Perrin? But here is the real question, should EVO owners really have to pay $80.00+ for a manual boost controller when there are many that cost much less of that price. I found a couple of examples-

#1- Innovative Performance Voodoo High Performance Manual Boost Controller ($50.00)

#2- TurboLogic Manual Boost Controller ($56.00)
TurboLogic PerformanceTM Manual Boost Controllers are made exclusively for BoostController.com LLC. While TurboLogic PerformanceTM is a new brand name, these exact manual boost controller units were previously manufactured and marketed by one of the nation's largest and most trusted manual boost controller manufacturers, and were proclaimed as "one of the best manual boost controllers available on the market" by a national automobile enthusiast's magazine.

Through a special agreement with this same manufacturer, BoostController.com LLC is able to make this bullet-proof, high quality MBC available to you.

Honestly though, how can some companies justify $80.00 or more for a boost controller, when there are many that cost much less? Is there really a huge difference between Forge UNOS Manual Boost Controller ($80.00+), Hallman Manual Boost Controller ($80.00+), and Perrin Manual Boost Controller ($80.00+), compared to the two examples I provided. Before somebody says, 3000ways stop being cheap, and pay the extra $30 to $50 for a higher quality product, REALLY, then why do some people have issues with these so called high end MBC? And we are not talking about minor issues here, the issues I speak of can be potentialy lethal to an engine/turbo. A $100+ MBC should have none of these issues what so ever, right? I mean some would even argue that a MBC isn't even really needed with a boost controlling flash.

Here's my point, are us EVO owners being fooled into buying products for a higher price that really are no better than the cheaper products? If there is truly a huge difference between the high end products and the cheaper ones, please explain?

I'm not attacking anybodies products, I am no boost whiz, just wondering what really is the differences between the so called best and the less expensive rest?
Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Its probably because of the quality and performance of the UNOS. More people have used it and have had experience. I mean look at Warrtalon, I think he's using the UNOS and no problems for him. The higher the price doesn't necessarily mean the product is better, but in this case it is better.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go make your own, you can find the instructions on the internet..
Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

The UNOS is worth every penny of what it costs. It is a very nice looking and performing unit. Very few people have had overboosting issues and it is not related to the MBC if you read up on the few cases that were reported. It also features a ratchet type knob so setting your boost level is as simple as it can get with a MBC. So I am not sure what your point is with this thread but it certainly does not belong in this forum, it would belong in the Vendors for Sale section.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:40 AM

I Had A Joe P Mbc And It Worked Fine On My Mazdaspeed
Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joeracer321
The UNOS is worth every penny of what it costs. It is a very nice looking and performing unit. Very few people have had overboosting issues and it is not related to the MBC if you read up on the few cases that were reported. It also features a ratchet type knob so setting your boost level is as simple as it can get with a MBC. So I am not sure what your point is with this thread but it certainly does not belong in this forum, it would belong in the Vendors for Sale section.
Why does this belong in this section, it is thread pertaining to manual boost controllers. I am not looking to sale a boost controller.

Still have not answered my question, what makes one boost controller really that much better than the other. The Turbo Logic boost controller seems like a very good unit itself, is it not worth every penny and then some, the Joe P manual Boost controller seems like a good unit itself and it costs around $40.00. I have nothing to gain from posting this except having questions in my head answered, if you really can't explain why one is better than the others, then maybe your already providing the answer right there.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

I've got the turbosmart single stage. The knob clicks when you turn up the boost. 3 or 4 clicks = about 1psi for me. I spent 90 on mine.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Also many MBC have easy to use adjustment knobs, the days of having to use a stupid wrench are over, I so hated do that with my 3000GT VR4, it was such a pain in the ***.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

I've used an UNOS on two cars... my Evo and my buddy's SRT-4. Worked great for low/normal boost applications. On my Evo, it held 23psi rock solid and worked great. On the SRT-4, it held 14~16psi and worked decent.

However, when I turned up the boost to my normal 30psi, it would hit it just fine... but IMMEDIATELY taper down to 23psi or so in a matter of 500~1000rpms later. Nothing I could do would help this issue and I thought maybe it just didn't like my car... well... we try high boost on the SRT-4 next. Crank it to 21psi and again, IMMEDIATELY tapers down to about 14psi in about 500rpm.

Who knows... maybe I had a bad unit... switched back to the TurboXS HP MBC and it worked excellent.

We've also tested a GFB MBC on both cars and it could never hit the high boost levels we desired nor would it hold boost well either.

On another note... a home-depot mbc which costs less than $10 to build has been pruven to work rock solid and hold boost *very* well as long as you build it for your application.

Currently now... I use the AEM to control boost... works better than anything else I've tried.

I guess what I'm getting at is yes, it seems like every boost controller is different... whether price is directly proportional to the quality is questionable... but I definitely wouldn't label all boost controllers to perform the same.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

The forge unit does have issues. It does cause overboosting and it's 100% definately related directly to the boost controller itself. I'd go with a hallman. Never had any problems with that. The one good feature of the forge is that it clicks, so you know exactly where you are as far as number of turns go.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 09:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Dejon Tool sells a MBC for $50. I've been using it for years and years on many cars with no problems.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

most of them work under the same principle, just some look better than others. Oh and some have a rachet like clicking noise.

Last edited by 95GSXtoEVO8; Mar 12, 2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:10 AM
Account Disabled

I love it - buy a $30,000 car and try to save $30 by buying some cheap *** mbc made from hardwear store part

Trying to be responsible here

The more expensive Forge and Hallman units are CNC machines from solid hunks of metal and anodized or polished to look good

Also - both require no wrench to adjust using click aqdjusters

They do cost a bit more but work much better in my experience

Also - the minor problems which the Forge units expereinced were becuse bits of polsihing compound were clogging the bleed hole - this has since been corrected

Every unit I sell of Forge is pre checked and tested

It is the best working MBC on evos - period

You get what you pay for

Last edited by DynoFlash; Mar 12, 2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I love it - buy a $30,000 car and try to save $30 by buying some cheap *** mbc made from hardwear store part

Trying to be responsible here

The more expensive Forge and Hallman units are CNC machines from solid hunks of metal and anodized or polished to look good
The $50 Dejon MBC is machined from aluminum, it is not a "cheap-*** hardware store part"

Also - both require no wrench to adjust using click aqdjusters
The Dejon MBC doesn't require a wrench to adjust, it is adjusted via a knurled thumb adjuster that also can lock

They do cost a bit more but work much better in my experience
They are all MBC's, it's a glorified bleeder, I have seen no performance difference between the $50 MBC's and the $100+ MBC's, other then bling factor, which of course, matters to some people.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:10 AM

I run a Hallman in my car for three reasons:

- It looks great.
- It works great.
- It is purpose built and not pieced together from crappy parts.

If I wanted to save money on an MBC, I'd just drop a few bucks at my local hardware store and make one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why pay $80.00+ for a manual boost controller?