Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tomei il thermostat eliminator or twin oil cooler setup?

Old Mar 15, 2007, 07:41 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reine
You could try a Laminova heat exchanger, expensive but they are proven to work in wrc!

I've got the one on the pictures but haven't installed it yet.
That is definitely something I have considered too. Setrab also makes a similar unit.

Where were you thinking of installing it? Is it designed to connect to the bottom or top of the radiator?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sparky
There is a thread(a couple of years old), although it may very well be on SOCALEVO.net, which includes install pics of Robi's(robispec) installation of a huge(way big!), Setrab oil cooler, which is considerably less expensive, than the HKS setup(if cost is an issue), and should cool your motor oil every bit as well, if not better. Robi's setup is proven to work on SoCal's uber-hot race tracks in the summer. You might wanna seach for it.
Yeah its cheaper and probably works BUT some of the big dogs on this forum dont like to share the specifics (i.e. sizes, hoses, brand etc.) so guys like me (the little guys) who need the same part or mod end up spending hundreds of dollars guessing and making mistakes.

Im not mad, though..I sometimes dont like to share too

So its easier to just buy from companies that already have the plug and play setups that are willing to share or sell.

Trust me I asked for some specs of his oil cooler setup about a year ago when my motor blew up.

Norris designs makes an upgraded oil cooler kit for the evo ( i cant attach the links from my computer at work)
On the UK forums alot of guys use and sell the Mocal setup
Two people on this forum tried to do group buy with the Setrab, but no real feedback
HKS, Greddy makes a single setup for about $800

For those of you who usually jump on the UK forums... there is a few good threads about upgraded oil coolers, pics,details of setups and problems some guys ran into when they made the changes...

I cant get to it from my work computer, to list it

Last edited by talentsearch301; Mar 15, 2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Ive been looking into getting a oil cooler still looking around i wonder where can you put a second oil cooler
Old Mar 15, 2007, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
Ive been looking into getting a oil cooler still looking around i wonder where can you put a second oil cooler
The second oil cooler is mounted on the other side, under the driver side headlight. Greddy and HKS make one thats an add on to your stock oil cooler.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

500whp.com sells the setrab in various sizes.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 04:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by MR 600
The second oil cooler is mounted on the other side, under the driver side headlight. Greddy and HKS make one thats an add on to your stock oil cooler.
Not sure how or even if that will work on a 05+ EVO as the ACD equipment is there. It either won't fit at all or won't get nearly the same amount of airflow as the passenger side oil cooler gets.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Here is the thread I was talking about http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...b&pagenumber=2

One of the members used a MOCAL oil cooler... this is what he had to say..

I've never had an issue water temperatures, its the oil temperatures that have been very high during track days for me, hence the larger oil cooler. Unfortunately i havent done a trackday since having the larger oil cooler fitted, so i cannot comment on how muchit has lowered temperatures, though as i say, temperatures on the road are now too low!

If i was using the car during winter then i would have experimented and have blanked off part of the oil cooler, and on the off chance i take the car out before spring, then i will blank off BOTH sides of the cooler with tape. (in effect this would mean no oil cooling and i would expect to see temperatures of around 80 dregrees cruising on the motorway).

Its all abit awkward because i was forced to make alot of changes at the same time, not only did i fit the bigger oil cooler, but i also had to move the position of the oil temperature sensor too, so i can no longer compare the new temperature figures to my old ones. I have heard though that a larger capacity radiator would reduce oil temperatures - as well as water temperatures.

I think he has an Evo 6 or 7

Last edited by talentsearch301; Mar 17, 2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Reine
You could try a Laminova heat exchanger, expensive but they are proven to work in wrc!

I've got the one on the pictures but haven't installed it yet.

Reine... where can I order one?

I dont think they sell them in the U.S
Old Mar 17, 2007, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by talentsearch301
Here is the thread I was talking about http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...b&pagenumber=2

One of the members used a MOCAL oil cooler... this is what he had to say..

I've never had an issue water temperatures, its the oil temperatures that have been very high during track days for me, hence the larger oil cooler. Unfortunately i havent done a trackday since having the larger oil cooler fitted, so i cannot comment on how muchit has lowered temperatures, though as i say, temperatures on the road are now too low!

If i was using the car during winter then i would have experimented and have blanked off part of the oil cooler, and on the off chance i take the car out before spring, then i will blank off BOTH sides of the cooler with tape. (in effect this would mean no oil cooling and i would expect to see temperatures of around 80 dregrees cruising on the motorway).

Its all abit awkward because i was forced to make alot of changes at the same time, not only did i fit the bigger oil cooler, but i also had to move the position of the oil temperature sensor too, so i can no longer compare the new temperature figures to my old ones. I have heard though that a larger capacity radiator would reduce oil temperatures - as well as water temperatures.

I think he has an Evo 6 or 7

He probably took out the oil thermostat. That would have prevented the oil temp from running too low.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What are the dimensions of the Laminova unit? And where is the ideal mounting location?
Old Mar 18, 2007, 06:22 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
here is a mocal i just did...

i still need to build the ducting

cb
Old Mar 18, 2007, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
what are you going to make the ducting out of?
Old Mar 18, 2007, 07:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by trinydex
what are you going to make the ducting out of?
aluminum.

ive thought about shaping it with foam, then having it done in carbon, but i dont have the time.

cb
Old Mar 19, 2007, 07:11 AM

We have been using the Tomei thermo killers in all road course EVO's. Since we are in FL it doesnt get cold enough to have to switch back to the stock themostat With the tomei thermo killer, it is very easy to install and does not allow the temps to get high like the factory one. When the stat opens at the lower temp, it is easier for the oil cooler to sustain a lower temp but with a better oil cooler like the Mocal, it will do the job better
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

What's the dimension of that Mocal oil cooler? Number of rows?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tomei il thermostat eliminator or twin oil cooler setup?