Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo9 fuel pump vs Walboro 255 data inside!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2007, 09:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Kevin 0
Me +1

I win
uh huh.... make your case and i'd be glad to admit defeat, but you have shown me nothing
Old Mar 18, 2007, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

nice write up!
Old Mar 18, 2007, 09:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
only in the case if the regulator is choking the system. which would be when you add a much larger pump (or two pumps)... but if your going to do that, you should do it right and add bigger return lines, and a bigger regulator.
I know that you want to believe that back pressure regulators perform ideally, but they often do not. I work with them on a daily basis, and with the back pressure regulators that I use ($800/ea), a 10% increase in flow will cause a 5% rise in system pressure.

Now I suppose its possible that the fuel pressure regulator on the Evo has been specially tuned to be absolutely independent of flow, but I doubt it. The question in my mind is how sensitive is pressure to the flow rate.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 09:58 PM
EvoM Guru

none. it was a direct swap. stock tune on stock pump, then stock tune on walboro. then i tuned it after taking data from the direct swap, and still didn't see much of a difference on the 9. the 8 made a big difference though.
ok. I was just a bit confused about showing the IDC values. I got the impression you were showing the IDC values as if changing a fuel pump alone will cause the IDC values to change.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 04:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrfred
ok. I was just a bit confused about showing the IDC values. I got the impression you were showing the IDC values as if changing a fuel pump alone will cause the IDC values to change.

no, the idc was shown to demonstrate that the tune was identical, thus IDC from the stock pump, and with the walboro before the tune should be the same (or really close to). after the tune, it should change only slightly.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 04:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Now I suppose its possible that the fuel pressure regulator on the Evo has been specially tuned to be absolutely independent of flow, but I doubt it. The question in my mind is how sensitive is pressure to the flow rate.

i'm going to get a pressure sensor and drill out my fuel rail for it tonight or sometime this week. i'll log it on the zeitronix and show the results. fortunately right now i have the stock 8 pump in my car and i have a few walboros sitting on the shelf as well.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 05:01 AM
Former Sponsor

I know that you want to believe that back pressure regulators perform ideally, but they often do not. I work with them on a daily basis, and with the back pressure regulators that I use ($800/ea), a 10% increase in flow will cause a 5% rise in system pressure.

although fuel pressure doesn't have as big of an effect on the amount of injected fuel as duty cycle does, if we were to see a increase in fuel pressure at idle and lower loads, we would see an across the board decrease in duty cycles as well, which just from looking at my plots from the 9, that is not the case. i will investigate further though.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 07:00 AM
EvoM Guru

although fuel pressure doesn't have as big of an effect on the amount of injected fuel as duty cycle does, if we were to see a increase in fuel pressure at idle and lower loads, we would see an across the board decrease in duty cycles as well, which just from looking at my plots from the 9, that is not the case. i will investigate further though.
Yep, its not as sensitive. Flow through the injectors goes roughly has the square root of the fuel pressure drop across the injector, while flow through an injector is linearly proportional to IDC.

Hooking up a pressure sensor would be great. Its better than trying to figure it out based on the results of tuning on IDC.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Yep, its not as sensitive. Flow through the injectors goes roughly has the square root of the fuel pressure drop across the injector, while flow through an injector is linearly proportional to IDC.

Hooking up a pressure sensor would be great. Its better than trying to figure it out based on the results of tuning on IDC.
Has anyone really hooked up a pressure sensor to see if the fuel pressure rises with the addition of the Walbro 255 (or any other higher flowing pump) vs. Stock?

I bought a pump becasue a lot of threads say its a good idea (I have a nine) but I am debating putting it in and if I do and it's true you need to lean the mixture due to more pressure then I would need to remap right?

If someone logged before and Walbro install and the A/F ratio changed wouldn't this mean the regulator is not maintaining absolute pressure and is of a design that is relative or proportional to the amount of input it is given?

I'll cut to My chase. I would like to know if I install my Walbro 255 if I will need to remap solely due to the higher output of the pump or will the regulator maintain consistent or same pressure as stock pump? I have heard that it does and does not increase fuel delivery to the engine so someone please set me straight.

I plan on turning up the boost but want to know how this new fuel pump could affect fueling Prior to turning up the boost. I would imagine Mits. engineers designed the fuel system to provide sufficient fuel up to or near 100% IDC so should I just stay stock until I get near maxing the stock injectors?

TIA for any thought and responses to my questions

I found this thread while searching for the answer so I figured I'd jump on this rather than start a new(b) one

thanks for helping a newb to the world of Evo tuning

Last edited by oldevodude; Apr 29, 2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
From what AMS has told me, the Fuel pump is perfect with their stage three cars, it works fine unless you go bigger turbo, SWEET!!
Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I suggest walbro fuel pumps in all evos running modified boost levels

This goes for 8 and IX evos

Al

Of course you do.....

but I think AMS is a better source of information and I believe they have tested the IX pump as well so who are you and what do you have to back up your "suggestion"......(besides the obvious response "i have tuned over 1 gazzillion evos bro)

ams fuel pump test: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=ams+fuel+pump

Last edited by travman; Jul 17, 2007 at 07:05 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for linking to the AMS test.

I like the walbro but it is rediculously noisey and would gladly consider an alternative.

Last edited by Evol.ved; Jul 17, 2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I also feel that it gives you an overly rich condition while putting around town. If you can retain the OEM fuel pump I feel it is better, less back fires and fireballs and better tune IMHO. Adding a fuel pump is not needed even with CAMS on the IX, I love that.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evol.ved
Thanks for linking to the AMS test.

I like the walbro but it is rediculously noisey and would gladly consider an alternative.
I love that sound
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
This is what I was looking for so for around 330 - 350 whp pm a IX a fuel pump is so so needed

Quick Reply: Evo9 fuel pump vs Walboro 255 data inside!