Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Aftermarket Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2003, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Cruise Control

Anyone know of any good cruise control systems I could add to the EVO? It would make life much better on the freeway.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

I just ordered the autoloc system. when I do the install I will post pics and the price is 200 - 300. I tried to see who all wanted to get a group buy going. I thought is would get a good response and didnt.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 04:20 PM

Cool. Is there a website about their product? Please post install links after your'e done, along with a full write-up of how happy/not you are.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 08:27 PM

Did you go with the electronic version, or vaccum version? I think electronic is a better solution, if it'll work. What kind of control will you be installing?

I was thinking about the JC Whit 'keypad' cruise, but noticed it was vaccum controlled, and didnt know if/where the speed sensor was.

Doesnt the GSR Evo8 come with cruise? Couldn't we JDM the parts?

I need a system by mid july for a cross country trip!
Old Jun 12, 2003, 08:44 PM

EvoNick: After some googling, I found http://www.autoloc.com, not much info.
I think this is the same unit, though:
http://www.mnrelectronics.com/roscruiscon.html
It looks like you also have to buy a control lever, and the "universal" lever looked like a little stubby stalk you'd mount onto your steering column that has what look like little buttons on the top, end, and bottom. I'd prefer to have a clean stalk that actually moved like on an older BMW--I wonder how hard it would be to rig up something like that.

Maybe everyone is waiting for someone else to be the "guinea pig" and try it first... I admit I've had fears of toggle switches duct-taped to the dashboard and that kind of thing...

newevo8- good luck with the install, and let us scaredy-cats know how it went!
Old Jun 13, 2003, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Electrical is my choice. Dont worry. I do very good and clean work I will keep you posted when I receive and install this. with pics. I am installing my own type of switch. Just need to finalize my decision on where I will be mounting this. Might have some custom work done on the steering wheel.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 06:14 PM
Account Disabled

I just installed my Aftermarket Cruise Control, I have a commute every morning and I just need one so I made one pretty cheap, it is set at 75-80MPH and is wonderful.

I went to home depo and got an industrial broom stick and then wedged it against the back set and pushed down the gas pedal (while driving in fith on the highway, do not attempt this in your drive way, you will kill someone) and set the broom stick in place. It is so nice to not have to constantly monitor my speed, I painted teh stick red to match my car and may put some Greddy stickers on it. My commuts have never been so much easier.

Total Cost-$8.95
Old Jun 14, 2003, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by umiami80
I just installed my Aftermarket Cruise Control, I have a commute every morning and I just need one so I made one pretty cheap, it is set at 75-80MPH and is wonderful.

I went to home depo and got an industrial broom stick and then wedged it against the back set and pushed down the gas pedal (while driving in fith on the highway, do not attempt this in your drive way, you will kill someone) and set the broom stick in place. It is so nice to not have to constantly monitor my speed, I painted teh stick red to match my car and may put some Greddy stickers on it. My commuts have never been so much easier.

Total Cost-$8.95
Bwhahahahah. Oh, I love it. Good job man.

Old Jun 14, 2003, 07:57 PM

You used a broom? I've been reading everywhere you needed a vaccum! I couldn't find one that long. I didnt think about a 'manual' vaccum.

Originally posted by umiami80

Total Cost-$8.95
Old Jun 20, 2003, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Got one installed today

The lack of cruise control and the lack of side airbags are the only things I don't like about my new car. I almost turned around at the test drive because there was no cruise control available. I put 35K miles a year on average on my car so it's obvious I drive a lot and without cruise control I can say goodbye to my license not to mention the dent that would be put into my bank account.

I'm glad I didn't turn around, because I'm really loving this car. I haven't even had it for 48 hours, and I took it in a 9AM to Dr. Stereo in Scarborough, Maine, who the GM and EVO Tech at Pape Mitsu said is the only place they would trust putting one in the car. Well, it took them 6 hours of trial and error, but they never gave up and finally got it working...with the exception of the clutch disengagement, which they ordered a part and said they will do their best to fix it.

It's the Audiovox/Rostra Electronic Cruise Control, unfortunately they only had the old skool stalk, but i ordered the newer square version and they said they would do the reinstall for me. I'll post pics after this weekend, don't have my camera right now.

If anyone has tried, or is going to try, some of the problems they encountered where they had to use the wire going to the clutch for something on the brake wire. The tach wire must be grounded and even though the instructions say to set the settings on the control box to high for four cylinders, well it doesn't work in the EVO, make the settings to low and all will work well.

I searched and searched the internet last night trying to see if anyone else was successfull in installing cruise control and didn't see anything, so I applaud Dr. Stereo folks for doing such a good job.
Old Jun 20, 2003, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the update, please keep us posted with pictures too ;-)
Old Jun 20, 2003, 05:05 PM

Have you had a chance to do much driving with the cruise control? If so, does it seem to hold a speed properly, and otherwise feel like a factory cruise control in a premium car?

I'm missing having a cruise control, but a crappy cruise control would probably irritate me more than none at all...

Anyways, thanks for forging ahead with this while the rest of us cower in the shadows waiting for someone else to be the "first"...
Old Jun 23, 2003, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

OK, I put 500 miles on it this weekend and tried out the cruise control properly on many different types of roads. I didn't use it much after hitting the break-in mileage of 600, but I'm sure you understand.

The manual/instructions say that speeds will vary 1 to 1 1/2 mph plus or minus, and that's pretty much what it does when it gets or goes down a hill. It's not perfect, but some of the cruise controls in my past vehicles weren't either. So, no, I wouldn't consider it a premium factory cruise control, but I'm definetely glad I have it.

It's great at instantly setting the speed when you hit the button, but like I mentioned before going up or down a hill it will waiver a little bit, seems more like plus or minus 2 miles an hour. I live in Maine, so there is no such thing as a flat road. I've got a one way hour commute to work and I've learned just to set it at one mph or so less than I want it, and then I don't have to worry about it going over when going down a hill. The accel feature works fine, no complaints there, but I've always preferred just to use the gas and reset it manualy. Resume (accel) button works great and goes right back to where it should. With the auto resume (decel) the only time it didn't work is when it was set at 70 and I went over 100 to pass a few trucks it didn't go back to 70 it just kept dropping, but on a normal pass of going from 70 to 85 it works fine. Coast works exactly like you'd expect to and no hesitation about resetting itself at that speed.

My only real complaint, which I will see if it can be changed, is that your have to do more than tap on the brakes to get it to disengage, so you're actually applying the brakes, which I've never had to do in any past cars (NX2000, Civic Si, 2.5RS, SVT Focus, or the Ranger FX4 L2).

I guess to sum it up, yeah, I much would of preferred that the car came with it from the factory, but I'm glad I was able to get one installed, it's worth the 375 bucks it cost me. I'll be happier when the new stalk comes in, the current one just doesn't feel right to me.

I know I promised pics, hopefully I can remember to take and post them tomorrow.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 08:10 PM

JDM cruise control

I don't think there are any JDM sports cars with cruise control. I know the evo doesn't have it. They don't really have a need for cruise control. Not a whole lot of open stretch of road here. I have a friend with a evo 7 and he doesn't have it, nor does my evo III. SKylines don't have it, as i used to have one. I dunno
Old Jun 25, 2003, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Here's the pics

Pics are hosted on imagestation,

Rostra Cruise Control Pics

Last edited by emulous; Apr 17, 2005 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Cruise Control