Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Please help. What could it be???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2007, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil in my turbo??? Why???

I was fine tuning by MBC, setting it to about 21psi. I would do some 1st to 3rd gear runs to to check my settings. I noticed that I was having a real hard time finding an even setting. Would spike to about 25psi in 1st and then in second it would go to about 17psi drop to 12psi and then start climbing again and then would do the same in 3rd??? It scared the hell out of me when I looked in the rear view mirror and came to a stop. I was enveloped by a cloud of light blue smoke. I set the boost down to about 12 psi just to be safe and tried tried it again. Same thing but now it the boost does stick at about 12 psi. The wierd thing is if I do just a 3rd gear roll on to 12 psi no smoke??? It seems like it only does it when I shift through the gears. My thought is the clutch maybe since it only does it when I shift. But once I stop the smoke stops right away. Also maybe the the turbo shaft has some play in it. I was having some trouble before with by BOV sticking, I was getting alot of compressor surge as a result. Maybe the surge during the shift is causing the oil to leak in the turbo. I have a catch can so it can't be that. Any Suggestions?

Just the basic MODs

Last edited by Twitch; May 1, 2007 at 09:09 AM. Reason: narrowing down for better assistance...
Old May 1, 2007, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

first, go back to ur stock DV

u may have the boost set too high and have a boost leak at the same time

g.luck
Old May 1, 2007, 08:42 AM

OK, I took off the intake pipe and found oil on the front side of the turbo. Considering that I am using a catch can the oil has to be coming from the turbo. I checked the turbine wheel and there is a little bit off play in the wheel. I am assuming that is my problem. Should the turbo wheel have any play in it at all? I am not using a turbo timer and I bet that while I was having BOV trouble the heavy compressor surge maybe caused the play in the turbine wheel. It does not give off blue smoke all the time only when I boost through the gears. Does that sound like what is causing my blue smoke issue???

Please reply guys.
Old May 1, 2007, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

You can hit 25 psi in 1st gear?
Old May 1, 2007, 08:50 AM

Not on purpose. It would spike and then drop to about 20 psi...
Old May 1, 2007, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
I think you figured out the cause of your problems.....sounds like a blown turbo due to compressor surge.

If you are running a catch can and still have oil around the turbo that sounds like a definite possibility. See if there is oil in your tailpipe.
Old May 1, 2007, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When comes to setting up your boost do it only in 3rd gear pull, set it at 21psi.
IT might drop like a 1 psi by the red line, its normal. set it at 21psi do it from 3,000 roll.
but before doing that, #1 put your stock BOV on. you need air compressor for boost leak test.
(search the forum how to do it) if not, check all the clamps / vacum lines. Test your boost gauge, just apply lets say 21psi thru the vaucm line and see if autometer stays at 21 might be a leak where vacum connects to your gauge. I've had 2 autometer gauges in my life time that were really off (broken i guess) (autometer phanotm seems a bit more acurate) btw, are you tuned? after installing that fuel pump? And yes alot of blue smoke coming from exhaust on any gear means blown turbo. (But personally i dont think your turbo is blown) GL man.

Last edited by tweakdsm; May 1, 2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old May 1, 2007, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shaft play...

Try to help us out by telling us how much shaft play. A tiny bit is normal however. Is it up and down, is it back and forth? Can you see all the blades? Haev you checked your oil level in the car itself to see how much you've burned? If you're getting alot of smoke it has to be exiting the exhaust and there are only a few ways it can get in there.
Old May 1, 2007, 09:31 AM

The play in the wheel is up and down and back and forth, just slight though. When I took the intake off I had a little puddle of oil sitting in the intake pipe as well as right before the wheel. I have a catch can so I can't see any other way the oil could be getting in there unless through some type of seal inside the turbo. All the blades are still there as well. I checked my oil level and it was mid full so I am burning it somewhere. I topped it off. My intake smells just the same as the smoke I am getting. I am tuned and it was running fine until I had the BOV trouble and the heavy compressor surge.
Old May 2, 2007, 06:32 AM

I solved the problem!!!!! I had a plugged valve cover vent. Not sure how it happened but the line running to my catch can was plugged. Pressure was causing oil to push into the exahust side of the turbo. It would burn off there and cause the blue smoke... Cost to repair $0...
Old May 2, 2007, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A bit of up and down, or play perpendicular to the shaft axis is o.k. The badboy is axial play, or back and forth play. If the seals are bad, then it will tend to smoke when you let off of the throttle after accelerating.