Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

loss power after cam install

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2007, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loss power after cam install

ok, so i installed cams (BC 272/272s) and dual valvesprings since they were so cheap (buschur spring set) and fidanza cam gears. after break in, i thought i should run the car untuned meanwhile my 20g-lt is on order and tune it afterwards. turns out, i lost half a second on the 1/4 mile. 12.7 with stock cams. only MBC and exhaust. after cam install, 13.3 1/4 mile. can somebody help me? i checked the cam sensor and it i did install it the right way. also checked valve timing and ignition timing. ignition timing was around 20 degrees advanced (i flashed the ecu to be at 15 degrees advance for vacuum purposes.......and base timing in the service manual is 5 degrees advanced....do those 2 add up to get 20 advanced? or am i a tooth off?). valve timing was good .....all marks were aligned...but..turns out the there was so much slack between the intake and exhaust cams when i put it to the TDC mark. i fixed that up.

new 255lph fuel pump
i also have 750cc RC injectors. scaling is set to 609cc and voltages are...

4.6875 3.312
7.03125 2.184
9.375 1.512
11.7188 1.032
14.0625 0.696
16.4062 0.432
18.6768 0.264

the car starts and runs good, idles good. i have a vacuum reading of about 16inhg. kinda stumbles on starts sometimes though. exhaust smell is real bad after the install. fuel trims are within 5% of 0.

..........now, my question is .........by losing half a second....does that mean that something is way off on my install? or is that typical with the car untuned? i thought about it and i don't think its typical with a car untuned....but i did think it could be due to my install ...so i need some input!

i also checked all sensors, cam, crank, etc.

p.s. i am going to get a tune after i recieve the 20g. thanks. just thought it would be interesting to run with a cam install untuned so i can tell what the difference is. i know it's not safe and all so i don't need input on that. just the effects of it down the track.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
BC's run 106* centerlines on the cams (WAY TOO TIGHT). Try setting your cam gears to -5/-5 and try again.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
BC's run 106* centerlines on the cams (WAY TOO TIGHT). Try setting your cam gears to -5/-5 and try again.
what do ya mean? what would that do?
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

I think you need to adopt my method... If I don't know what someone means when they give me instructions, I probably shouldn't be doing it.

Take it somewhere and get your cams installed right, preferably where you can watch and learn at the same time.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by s2kguy
I think you need to adopt my method... If I don't know what someone means when they give me instructions, I probably shouldn't be doing it.

Take it somewhere and get your cams installed right, preferably where you can watch and learn at the same time.
if you got about 500 bucks laying around for me to use, then i would, otherwise i think i'll learn by myself and by other people sharing their info. you really can't learn something without doing it, especially something like this.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

i know my car pre tune on cams ran like complete ***! it didnt hardly wanna get out of its own way. I imagine its probally just the tune
Old Jun 12, 2007, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Na, most cam installs will get power without a tune they just idle like crap.

Screwing with cam positions without knowing what your doing is a good way to have your valves meet and greet your pistons... Not a good thing, and certainly will cost more than $500 to fix.

Btw, mine cost $300 to install.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 08:47 AM

I never ran my car hard until I was tuned.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Its running pig rich is my guess. Get it tuned. Wait till after your 20g is fine, but I wouldnt be trying to run it at the track. What if it was running super lean, you would have blown your motor. Not very smart. Cams change the air fuel ratio quite a bit.

Last edited by 20psiMR; Jun 12, 2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 20psiMR
Its running pig rich is my guess. Get it tuned. Wait till after your 20g is fine, but I wouldnt be trying to run it at the track. What if it was running super lean, you would have blown your motor. Not very smart. Cams change the air fuel ratio quite a bit.
i suppose...maybe those injectors and fuel pump?
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

another question, i didn't read the manual on the adjustable cam gears (fidanza),

counterclockwise =?? (retard or advance)
clockwise =?? (retard or advance)
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

I would say its because it isnt tuned. Once i had cams installed on mine, it ran great for a little then started running sh*tty. Your ECU is trying to detect stock cams and is noticing the aftermarket so it runs bad. Tuning is the best thing you can do for your car. I got it tuned and reflashed a week after my cams were installed and it is running the best it ever has.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by V8eatr
I would say its because it isnt tuned. Once i had cams installed on mine, it ran great for a little then started running sh*tty. Your ECU is trying to detect stock cams and is noticing the aftermarket so it runs bad. Tuning is the best thing you can do for your car. I got it tuned and reflashed a week after my cams were installed and it is running the best it ever has.
hmmm. thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like your off a tooth. I had the same thing happen. Follow what evomoto.com says and zip tie your cam gears to the timing belt (thats how i messed up) and use some whiteout to make the TDC mark on the cam gears.

Put it back together and give it a shot. (Or you can just adjust your cam gears to where they are supposed to be at 0,0 at TDC and make sure that the tooth really was off in the first place)
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would guess tune.

Quick Reply: loss power after cam install