Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

gain for gsc s1 cams

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2007, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gain for gsc s1 cams

What is the opinion of gains on the above cams over the mr ones please,,,
Also these will be run in conjunction with pullys, retainers and up rated springs,,
cheers
paul
Old Sep 2, 2007, 02:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by paul North
What is the opinion of gains on the above cams over the mr ones please,,,

mr ones?

explain please
Old Sep 2, 2007, 02:48 AM
Evolving Member

well had mines installed about a month or so ago and i love them on my mr,but you also need a good tune and other good parts working with them to obtain the best hp and performance from them,i have no complaints.car feels likes its on crack
Old Sep 2, 2007, 02:54 AM

In the uk we got the evo 8 in 03, a year later a evo 8mr arrived, more aggressive cams, 10.5t hot side etc...... I think the mr cams alone made me around 20bhp over the less aggressive o/e ones,, do you guys think 10bhp over the mr ones sounds about right
Old Sep 2, 2007, 02:56 AM

sauce

It runs a 9 turbo,, 1.93 peak boost, in the uk i am hoping for around 330bhp atw, 430bhp atf,,
Old Sep 2, 2007, 03:25 AM
Evolving Member

yeah thats about right,man i know the car is expensive to drive there,right across the boundry from me,
Old Sep 2, 2007, 03:37 AM

sauce

Cheers mate, for example how much would a brand new gsr evo 9 cost in a mitsi showroom mate
Old Sep 2, 2007, 04:19 AM
Evolving Member

how u doing paul (evo8260gtr) from mlr here, you dont even wanna know how cheap they get 9s in the states lol
Old Sep 2, 2007, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Uprated springs and retainers are a waste, IMO, for the cams you are considering. Totally unnecessary. But, it's your money.

If your British Market VIII MR factory spec cams already are a 20 WHP improvement over the normal VIII cams, then I don't think that you will see much more power up on top with the S1 cams. Compare the spec sheets and some dyno graphs on the S1's vs. the British MR cams before swapping.

The S1 cams are big in the midrange but there won't be much more happening after 6000 RPM. For you this will be a horizontal move, not a vertical one. On the stock turbo, either the S1's or British MR cams should be fine. Or just keep your MR cams and stock valvetrain and upgrade to an EvoGreen turbo.

Last edited by sparky; Sep 2, 2007 at 07:05 AM.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Ive heard and read this a few times. The Best Motoring edition on the 8MR (which is the 058 and 8MR for the US) was claimed to have different cams. But the mitsu part number is the same from 03-05. But I suspect that there is a difference. For reference, I might have a freak car, but other 05s seem to be like mine - run like they have cams.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

evo 9

Originally Posted by paul North
Cheers mate, for example how much would a brand new gsr evo 9 cost in a mitsi showroom mate
well lets just say for the price u pay for one,we can get 2
Old Sep 2, 2007, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

I have GSC S1 cams in my car.

No cam gears, no valvetrain upgrades.

I havent even had them tuned yet, as I wrecked the car on the way home from installing them.

I got my car back on Thursday, and I absolutely love them. They pull extremely hard throughout the power band.

There is a huge difference from the stock ones.
I do not know about the 8MR ones in the UK though.

Have you seen dyno charts of the stock MR and GSR in England?
Old Sep 2, 2007, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Ive heard and read this a few times. The Best Motoring edition on the 8MR (which is the 058 and 8MR for the US) was claimed to have different cams. But the mitsu part number is the same from 03-05. But I suspect that there is a difference. For reference, I might have a freak car, but other 05s seem to be like mine - run like they have cams.
AFAIK, it's a fact that the British( and JDM?) VIII MR's were factory equipped with hotter camshafts than the USDM VIII MR's.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 09:24 AM

mr cams

The mr cams in the uk are very good,,
It needs the uprated springs as i have valve float between 6000rpm to 7000rpm,,,
Whilst i am doing it i thought may aswell give these gsc cams a whirl,,
I would of thought the mr uk spec and an mr us spec would be the same but i might be wrong,,#
I saw 40 bhp improvement when i changed from the 9.8t to a 10.5t hot side, plus the mr cams, so i amasuming that the cams gave around 20bhp and the hotside 20bhp,,
I have a feeling that these gsc cams may not do a great deal but will be doing back to back testing,,
I have looked into a green but still not convinced on its extra power, i drove 1 and its a lot laggier than the 9 turbo and only seemed a touch better at the top, I will be going for the gt3076r kit in the end,,
I never had valve float at 1.6 bar but at near 2.0 bar of boost this is happening, the o/e springs are not strong enough
Old Sep 2, 2007, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
AFAIK, it's a fact that the British( and JDM?) VIII MR's were factory equipped with hotter camshafts than the USDM VIII MR's.
Are we sure they didnt come over in our USDM spec cars? Didnt Clayton change cams and not gain power? Wondering if the 05s also were given this boost with better cams...?

Quick Reply: gain for gsc s1 cams