Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

something's not right...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2007, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
something's not right...

so here's the situation:
my motor blew about 2 1/2 months ago (reference: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=290346) and i had just put in a brand spanking new motor from the factory this past weekend....all the harnesses, electricals, cables, blah blah were put together the same way i had took them off. so then i start the car. it cranks fine, fuel is flowing, nothing ticking or binding or anything....BUT, the car won't start.

so then, i asked my friend if i can borrow his code puller to see if i was pulling any codes. and wut do you know, i pulled the 2 infamous and most common codes: P0340 and P0335, Camshaft and Crankshaft positioning sensor circuit Sensor 'A'

so, i diagnosed both problems, voltages were fine going to both sensors, but the camshaft position sensor was bad...so i bought a new one. tried to start the car again and still not start....i had then found out that it wasnt sparking...so i checked the voltages coming from the harnesses to the ignition coils and they were fine...checked continuity in both igntion coils and cables and they were fine...

the problem:
i then went to see what codes were set still...well, i eliminated P0340 but still had P0335...i checked voltages from the harness connector to the Crankshaft position sensor and it's working fine....

that's where i came with the conclusion of either my sensor went bad or it must be a relay somewhere...BUT the thing is, during my engine assembly, i had to purchase a new CPS because the old one was eaten up bad. so now, i'm thinking a bad relay/fuse....

can someone out there point me in the right direction as to why it's pulling that damn code when the CPS is brand spanking new? more so, is there a way i can read if the sensor itself is sending back signals WITHOUT using an oscilloscope?

i would like to find out if that new sensor is faulty or went bad....

if you need more info, please be specific about the info you're looking for to further help each other out. thanks

oh, and i have disconnected the battery at least 5 times to reset the ECU but the code keeps pulling up

Last edited by EVOclub4; Nov 13, 2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

did you put the sensor in right, and not backwards??
Old Nov 13, 2007, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i did....it can only go on one way
Old Nov 13, 2007, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

anyone? any electrical circuit gurus out there that know of this?
Old Nov 13, 2007, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

You'll need a friend to help with this. Back-probe the output wire with a multimeter or test light while having a friend crank the car. If it is good you'll notice a spike or dip in the output voltage on the multimeter, or a brightening or dimming of the test light. Make sure to remove the fuel pump relay before doing this. And don't crank the engine over for more than 15-20 secs per test cycle or damage can occur to the starter.