Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shockproof + Amsoil cocktail in 6-speed gearbox

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2007, 03:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Shockproof + Amsoil cocktail in 6-speed gearbox

After enduring a year of notchy 2nd gear shifting in my 6-speed with straight Amsoil MTG 75W-90, I decided to try a 25% Shockproof Lightweight + 75% Amsoil MTG 75W-90 in the gearbox. I wanted to try Shockproof because of its claimed ability to help control stresses on gear teeth, but I actually thought that adding any Shockproof would worse shifts because Shockproof wasn't designed for syncro gearboxes. In the first 100 miles with this cocktail, so far, 2nd gear shifts are smoother.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This should be an interesting thread as time goes on.... GL with it and keep us posted. Normally lots of people (me included) would say "NO DONT DO THAT!!!" to this but hopefully you wont destroy anything.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

I mean...really, it isn't recommended for longevity.......BUT for smoother shifting, hell-it works.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 05:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Why would it hurt longevity? Shockproof is compatible with brass, and supposedly has better shear properties than other gear oils. Redline doesn't officially recommend it because they say Shockproof may decrease syncro performance. If I'm seeing improved syncro performance, then its all good. I'm just wondering if the improved syncro performance I'm seeing now will last.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well just a thought. Remember when everybody thought Syncromesh was the best their was because it shifted so smooth. Then all of a sudden everybodies tranny started failing with it because they found out it was too thin. I would reccomend mixing a small amount of that coctail together and make sure all the fluid stays mixed together and doesn't separate. I have heard some Redline does not mix well with other fluids. If it works though have at it...I dont have the ***** to take a chance though
Old Nov 27, 2007, 02:55 AM
EvoM Guru

I'm surprised that anyone runs Syncromech in their gearbox. Its basically 30 wt oil. I wouldn't put it in the 5-speed either. The 5-speed just happens to be strong enough to withstand it.

Where do you hear that Redline oils do not mix well? The WRX community has been using using mixtures of gear oils for years. Both oils are synthetics with bases that are fully compatible with each other.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually thats what I was referring too was a thread I read over at Nasioc...(I frequent over there just to see what the competition is up to ) But it was about using a non syntethic gear oil with I believe their shockproof or some other fluid. I dont think you will have the problem since you are using both synthetic gear oil. I believe it was a very rare occasion but just thought I would throw it out to make sure you know to test just for piece of mind if you wanted. One other thing to note is if you look at Amsoil, Motul, and the Castrol which seem to be the most popular three all the cold flow properties of the oil are good but they are optimized for high shear point and high temperature therefore making them shift somewhat stiff in the cold...which in some ways means its a good oil. Motul of all seems to have the best cold flowing properties and shear points (I am trying this on Thursday). GL with the coctail though.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

I have 2 qts of mitsu trans. fluid and 1 qt. shockproof in my trans. now....shifts great.

My next change im going to use MT90 and see how it works..
Old Nov 27, 2007, 01:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Nice

I have been using almost 1qt redline shockproof Heavy and the rest Redline MT-90 in my 6spd ever since my rebuild. Has never shifted better and my tranny temps went down a tad. 12k miles so far.
Old May 6, 2009, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Any updates guys?
Old May 6, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, for my normal driving, my gearbox is fine, not notchy or scratchy. But for the track, when flat shifted, I have a hard time not getting locked out here and there. I currently run MT-90 in the trans with a tiny bit of LSD additive.

What would you recommend I run if I wanted to change gear oil just for a trip to the track where not getting locked out is of upmost importance?
Old May 6, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Nice

I have been using almost 1qt redline shockproof Heavy and the rest Redline MT-90 in my 6spd ever since my rebuild. Has never shifted better and my tranny temps went down a tad. 12k miles so far.
I went to the 2 MT90 w/ 1 HSP and I have over 30k miles on this fluid mix with no issues at all. I have had HSP in my trans for 45k of the 55k miles on the odo, I live by the stuff and every change the magnet on the drain plug always looks good.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

mrfred, any update on this? how did this cocktail work? what are you running now?

-Jalal
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MJ23FE
mrfred, any update on this? how did this cocktail work? what are you running now?

-Jalal
I bailed on Shockproof in the gearbox due to the horror stories about parrafin wax clogging up in the oiling hole through the shaft (I forget whether it was the input or output shaft).
Old Jan 30, 2011, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
I bailed on Shockproof in the gearbox due to the horror stories about parrafin wax clogging up in the oiling hole through the shaft (I forget whether it was the input or output shaft).
Ah, ok. Good to know. What are you currently running now? I've been thinking about running the Redline MT-85. After reading a recent review on here, I want to give it a try. Especially due to its price.

-Jalal

Quick Reply: Shockproof + Amsoil cocktail in 6-speed gearbox