Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Vacuum restrictor size at turbo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacuum restrictor size at turbo

I did a search but couldn't find a definitive answer. Is there a vacuum restictor at one of the vacuum lines? The reason I asked this is after I took out my boost controller, greddy profect b 2, I am not getting 19-16psi but rather around 10-12 psi. I lost the vacuum line that joins wastegate to the Tee therefore I can't check if there is one.

If there is one, what size is it? Thanks in advance.

-Kenneth
Old Jul 18, 2003, 07:04 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know about any others, but there is one in the line 2" from the OE BS in the line to the turbo... removal in my car caused boost spike to 21 psi settling to 19. Free mod, do at your own risk people...
Old Jul 18, 2003, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you get exhaust though, and test pipe, youll be going PAST 1.5 bar.. I hit fuel cut several times in 4th from this....
Old Jul 18, 2003, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

That restrictor should actually be in the BCS port itself not the line. I took mine out of my eclipse and gained a little but as said before it can cause some spikes on some cars. My knowledge of this is only on the 2g's tho. Not sure if it the same on the EVO. It is a popular "free" mod with the DSM's. Some get crazy spikes while others don't.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Zeus
Don't know about any others, but there is one in the line 2" from the OE BS in the line to the turbo... removal in my car caused boost spike to 21 psi settling to 19. Free mod, do at your own risk people...
Could you please elaborate??? The Evo runs quite rich from the factory, so a little more boost wouldn't really hurt...where exactly is this thing I need to remove for more power???
Old Jul 18, 2003, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Look inside the BCS itself not the line. If it IS the same as the 2g's you will notice a little extra piece of plastic, decreasing the nipple size. Take a drywall or some other coarse thread type of screw and screw it in there. turn the srew so it "bites" the plastic restrictor and pull out.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 10:32 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by mobius97
Look inside the BCS itself not the line. If it IS the same as the 2g's you will notice a little extra piece of plastic, decreasing the nipple size. Take a drywall or some other coarse thread type of screw and screw it in there. turn the srew so it "bites" the plastic restrictor and pull out.

We are talking about Evo VIII's here and not the Eclipse... you will find it where I stated it wouuld be on the Evo VIII... Refer to forum title above if I seem a little sharp...
Old Jul 18, 2003, 10:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Ps ...never spiked over 1.46bar... and the complete line set between the turbo, wastegate, and BS costs $17 from Mitsubishi. That is if you are lazy and cut/replace the section of line to remove the restrictor vs trying to pull it out of the hose.

Last edited by Zeus; Jul 18, 2003 at 10:40 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

We are talking about Evo VIII's here and not the Eclipse... you will find it where I stated it wouuld be on the Evo VIII... Refer to forum title above if I seem a little sharp...
Yeah whatever blah blah blah, guy as I said before, quote "My knowledge of this is only on 2g's tho". Not sure if it is the same on the EVO. " To go further please read the 2nd setence in the post before i made this one, notice I emphasized on " IS".....for my own knowledge where is it located for the EVO, got pics just curious?

Last edited by mobius97; Jul 18, 2003 at 10:48 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 11:42 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by mobius97
Yeah whatever blah blah blah, guy as I said before, quote "My knowledge of this is only on 2g's tho". Not sure if it is the same on the EVO. " To go further please read the 2nd setence in the post before i made this one, notice I emphasized on " IS".....for my own knowledge where is it located for the EVO, got pics just curious?
I took offense to your statement "That restrictor should actually be in the BCS port itself not the line ". Regardless of what you posted after that point. Especially when one Evo owner was relaying experience to another and is cut off by someone who doesn't know what is not where... old men are snippy that way...

A quick post in a thread...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ght=restrictor ...last quarter of page
Old Jul 19, 2003, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

I took offense to your statement "That restrictor should actually be in the BCS port itself not the line ". Regardless of what you posted after that point. Especially when one Evo owner was relaying experience to another and is cut off by someone who doesn't know what is not where... old men are snippy that way...

A quick post in a thread...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ght=restrictor ...last quarter of page
You take things out of context worse than TV Christian Evangelist, Benny Hinn. I was just chiming and and giving him advice from MY expeirence with this engine and at the same time letting him know that my knowledge isnt of this version of the '63. Are you some kind of 4g63 wizard or is this the first one you have ever owned? Looks like to me you jumped off the honda boat and swam on over by looking at your old cars. Not to say I am extremely profeciant in this engine but I have been dealing, upgrading and tinkering with it for the past few years. So when I do see someone asking a question that I might be able to help with of course I am going to make a comment that is what these forums are for..sharing info. At the same time I will clearly state my lack of knowledge with this newer version. Everyone is learning about it not just me..look at all the tuners, hell they are still playing around with it. The car just came out this year. Also notice when I replied to your "sharp" answer as you put it...I was still wanting to learn where it is located on the EVO for future reference. Hey I even asked for pics and info on it. You need to calm down guy do you operate like this in the real world? Also the comment "One EVO owner to another" Give me a break buddy, sorry we can't all be as lucky as you.

Edit: If it is in the hose as you say, is it just a smaller diameter hose inside the other? See I'm still picking your brain here for my own info.

Last edited by mobius97; Jul 19, 2003 at 09:13 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 10:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Lets cut the ****... chaulk it up to a cranky old man, late at night, off his meds, tired of people jumping into people's business while their fingernails are clean and grease free. I don't know you, or your business... I've worked with Mitsu's since the mid 90's, mostly VR4's though... Best one I had a hand in missed a cool 1000hp by a little over 50.

As far as the restrictor, I cut the hose and replaced it with a 2" vac line and a straight tee. I sits in my tool box... I'll cut it open tomorrow. My camera took a **** on me so I have no pictures at this time... I've since replaced the cut line with an OE one to move on to "better" things. The link to the thread above has Silver Surfer refering to it as "brass". On my car, the boost seemed to follow the OE curve only about 2 psi higher. I never peaked over 1.46 bar.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Well thanks for the answer I appreciate it...yeah I think we killed this thread with our useless bickering back and forth. Like the comment about the old man. . I myself am 28 but thats besides the point and my hands are far from grease free. Like you said you don't know me and I don't know you so lets leave it at that. I am always willing to learn something new however and will confess my ingnorance on such matters so that I can learn more thanks for the info on this situation with the restrictor. Got pics of the VR-4? Would love to see them.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 11:37 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

...the cars were customers and the person I was working for at the time... I'll see if I can find any of the pictures on the old computer I've given to my kids. I'm sure my 11 year old kept the pictures as he's a car nut like his dad...

Last edited by Zeus; Jul 19, 2003 at 11:39 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, question. I went looking for the vacuum hose with the restrictor in it, that you guys were talking about. Keep in mind, this is my first turbo, and I'm not sure what I'm looking at. The BS is the gold dashpot just to the driver's side of the turbo, right? I see Two lines on it. One is a rubber line that goes into a 3 way T, and the other is a metal line going to the exhaust side of the turbo. Am I looking at the right thing? If I am, which hose is the restrictor in? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Vacuum restrictor size at turbo