Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tranny noise under deceleration

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tranny noise under deceleration

When my 04 RS is in 5th gear and decelerating (coasting), there is a loud humming, whining noise. Its sounds like a ring gear grinding type noise. Is this coming from my Tranny or Transfer case? Does anyone else experience this? The drivetrain has always been loud but thats just the Evo. Now the noise is definetly more pronounced. When I seperate the tranny by pushing the clutch in or taking it out of gear it goes away. When free wheeling or coasting in 5th and sometimes 4th gear, it almost sounds like pre-mature wear. Whats happening here? please help
thanks
Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had a humming sound on decel on mine, noticed it got louder as my tire pressure was low on one of my tires in the rear, also noise pretty much went away when I switched my fluid from the redline shockproof back to the mitsu diaqueen in the rear diff
Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:25 AM

Also, I changed out my fluids about 5K ago. Mobil 1 in the tranny and Mitsu Diaqueen in the Transfer Case and Rear Diff. Plus my tires are at correct pressure. The noise is defenitly coming from up front, not sure if transfer case or tranny or lsd in tranny.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi, got same noise on evo 8 (comes aboout on 60mil/h ), it start doing after i got my new clutch fitted in. now its gone feally loud. it goes away when i push clutch down or take gear out.

It took them 3 days to fit clutch cose they did it first time,

Last edited by artur; Jan 2, 2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anthonypazsd
When my 04 RS is in 5th gear and decelerating (coasting), there is a loud humming, whining noise. Its sounds like a ring gear grinding type noise. Is this coming from my Tranny or Transfer case? Does anyone else experience this? The drivetrain has always been loud but thats just the Evo. Now the noise is definetly more pronounced. When I seperate the tranny by pushing the clutch in or taking it out of gear it goes away. When free wheeling or coasting in 5th and sometimes 4th gear, it almost sounds like pre-mature wear. Whats happening here? please help
thanks
it's your input shaft bearing for sure. maybe take a look at the output shaft too. i got the same problem and i read a tsb on it.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by RedLanEVO
it's your input shaft bearing for sure. maybe take a look at the output shaft too. i got the same problem and i read a tsb on it.

Sorry for my ignorance, what is a TSB?
Old Jan 3, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

It equates to a problem that has been identified through the manufacturer and may or may not be covered under warranty.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

yes, the tsb says that when the car is not moving and clutch engaged in neutral, the "grinding,rattling" sound it makes is the input shaft bearing. now for the cruising noise....it is the output bearing. the input bearing always has torque applied to it when the engine is running under load, the output bearing carries just carries the torque through but under coasting, (foot off accelerator at crusing speeds) you are letting the wheels turn the engine instead of the engine turning the wheels thereby applying torque to the output shaft bearing. there is no problem with that but if your output bearing is shot like it is, it will make noise. i still havent gotten mine fixed yet. this is a tapered roller bearing so if you do decide to take it apart, make sure you get the proper clearances after re-installation. btw i saw this tsb through AllData Online, a huge service provider of online manufacturer service manuals.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by RedLanEVO
yes, the tsb says that when the car is not moving and clutch engaged in neutral, the "grinding,rattling" sound it makes is the input shaft bearing. now for the cruising noise....it is the output bearing. the input bearing always has torque applied to it when the engine is running under load, the output bearing carries just carries the torque through but under coasting, (foot off accelerator at crusing speeds) you are letting the wheels turn the engine instead of the engine turning the wheels thereby applying torque to the output shaft bearing. there is no problem with that but if your output bearing is shot like it is, it will make noise. i still havent gotten mine fixed yet. this is a tapered roller bearing so if you do decide to take it apart, make sure you get the proper clearances after re-installation. btw i saw this tsb through AllData Online, a huge service provider of online manufacturer service manuals.

What are the repercussions of continuing to drive your car with a shot output bearing? Should it be replaced in a timely manner?
This is strange because i tend to baby my EVO, do all services accordingly, and i never launch it off the line. Could this be a warranty issue with Mitsu?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by anthonypazsd
thanks
I have same problem only my shift knob moves I need help