Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

car whines when slowing down??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question car whines when slowing down??

Hey guys i just noticed last nite that my car started whining. It actually whines more when i am in 3rd or 4th gear and put it in nuetral. And it whines all the way til i stop. Even in nuetral just coasting it whines. when i break and about to stop it whines even more. Is it my axel or transfercase. I dont really know.

Please help.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Hopefully your transfercase or tranny aren't going. When was your last fluid change? You might want to change that first to see if that will fix the problem. If you are the type that beats on your car a lot then I recommend changing fluids every 10k miles.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have never heard the death whine, but the way you describe it sounds just like how everyone else describes it. I would change your fluid in you transfer case and take note if any metal flacks come out.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

for reference. THE DEATH WHINE- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXbisxnAW-s
Old Mar 15, 2008, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Whining on decel is fairly normal. The drivetrains of the Evo are very noisy, so after a couple thousand miles it may start happening. Are you the 1st owner of the car? How many miles?
Old Mar 15, 2008, 05:54 PM
Account Disabled

if its real real loud it may be a big issue, if its not that loud i wouldn't worry about it too much...either way it sounds like a tcase...
Old Mar 16, 2008, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

There are alot of mixed opinions about transfer case whine. When it sounds like it does in that video, something is DEFIANTLY wrong. I can hear mine whining at times, but it's fairly faint, but then again I have a catless Buschur exhaust

I'm going to take it to the dealer just for peace of mind, and have all my drivetrain fluids changed while I'm there. I have 70k miles. Last I changed them was 62k miles.

I swear I can hear mine whine more and more. It may just be in my head as I haven't even had this car for a year and I'm still learning all the goofy sounds it makes. But from what I've read it doesn't get slightly louder day by day, it's a sudden change, so who knows. I'm kind of paranoid, but alot of people say some whine is normal, and some drivetrains will whine more then others, it's just how they are. Mine defiantly doesn't sound like the video. First and second gears are striahgt cut, so other then those, I can hear the transfer case whine in third, and sometimes forth (at low speeds as high as 40mph). Freaks me out sometimes. As I go faster, I can't hear the whine as loud. It's like the opposite of all the other whine complaints. The whine is very prominent at low speeds, and start to go away above 40mph (no matter what gear).
Old Mar 16, 2008, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

I just got a oil change from the dealer not even like a week ago. and now my car whines. it just started whining 2 days ago. i am worried. i hope they put the right oil in TC. i got all my fluids changed. TC, Tranny, and differential.

It actually whines more in 3 and 4th gear even in 5th i can hear it. I can hear it when i speed up or slow down.

THIS SUCKS.

What should i do? I dont even have enough money to buy a new one. Im gonna go back to the dealer$hit and be a 6itch to them. F**k this!!!
Old Mar 16, 2008, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mpevo8
for reference. THE DEATH WHINE- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXbisxnAW-s
It sounds exactly like that video. but a little quieter. Just wondering is it okay to drive the car like this. i know i probably shouldnt race or launch, right?

Last edited by Boostin4g63; Mar 16, 2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boostin4g63
It sounds exactly like that video. but a little quieter. Just wondering is it okay to drive the car like this. i know i probably should race or launch, right?
It starts noticeable but not extraordinarily loud. You can try changing the fluid again with the correct fluid and see if it fixes the problem but if it sounds like it does in the video your pretty much done. You can also check out my thread where I also posted the way a tcase whine sounds https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=261079 . In my videos it was when it got really bad.

Last edited by rcheung; Mar 16, 2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Question

Originally Posted by rcheung
It starts noticeable but not extraordinarily loud. You can try changing the fluid again with the correct fluid and see if it fixes the problem but if it sounds like it does in the video your pretty much done. You can also check out my thread where I also posted the way a tcase whine sounds https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=261079 . In my videos it was when it got really bad.
How much did ur shep transfer case cost with the ralliart LSD?

what kinda oil do i need for my TC? is it the lsd somethin oil??

How much longer does the TC usually last when u can hear it whine?

Just trying to have an idea so i can start saving up for a shep TC.

thanks everyone for ur replies
Old Mar 16, 2008, 03:23 PM

Change your trans fluid
Old Mar 16, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

I just got a oil change from the dealer not even like a week ago. and now my car whines. it just started whining 2 days ago. i am worried. i hope they put the right oil in TC. i got all my fluids changed. TC, Tranny, and differential.

It actually whines more in 3 and 4th gear even in 5th i can hear it. I can hear it when i speed up or slow down.

THIS SUCKS.

What should i do? I dont even have enough money to buy a new one. Im gonna go back to the dealer$hit and be a 6itch to them. F**k this!!!
Good Luck! First you need to find out if they put non OEM fluids in your car.

I called the local dealership and asked them if they had any diagqueen transmission fluid and they didnt know what it was. I then asked what fluid they used when they did driveline changes and they responded that any lube that meets the spec is good and that they used castrol or something? LOLz.. and they wonder why I dont service my Evo at their shop.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

How much did ur shep transfer case cost with the ralliart LSD?

what kinda oil do i need for my TC? is it the lsd somethin oil??

How much longer does the TC usually last when u can hear it whine?

Just trying to have an idea so i can start saving up for a shep TC.

thanks everyone for ur replies
If I remember correctly, it was 2775 plus 75 shipping. Make sure you only use mitsubishi diaqueen fluid which was also recommended by shep.