Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MR won't shift into 6th gear?!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbpwjm
Having what appears to be the exact same issue with an 06 MR. Dealer says they'll have to tear the transmission down and might not be covered under warranty.

This is an original owner car with ~9100 miles on it. Meticulously maintained.

Any course of action if the dealer doesn't provide coverage under warranty?

Have to love the "stealerships"...

Thanks and regards,
Scott
You can complain and see if that does anything. Of course you can also try the attorney general and bbb. Good luck with you trans. Since it looks like Mitsu is going to try at all cost to find some blame I'm probably just going to pay less and get it rebuilt. I don't want to risk them opening it up and not covering it since they said they car had different bolts on the exhaust and looks to have been modified.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

It happened to my evo a lot of times. Sometimes it depends if your evo is all warmed up, say for example in the morning you crank your evo and didn't run the engine for a little while and drive it immediately there's a possibility that the tranny is not warm enough to slip in 6th gear. My evo is only 6000 miles. But I dont see any problems with it.

Try to warm the engine first before you drive it. Just my 2 cents!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:18 AM

i just had something similar happen to me last night, il post here and hope for help instead of starting a new topic. i was driving hard last night against a rustang, and had wheel spin through my shift into 4th, i dropped it into 5th with a slight grind which is normal in high rpm shifting into 5th, and when i went into 6th the car just started revving like in neutral and was nto in gear, when i stopped at the light the car smelled of burning clutch, but it was not coming from the clutch, it was coming from where the trans is. last night my car would not go into 6th. this morning i started it up and started driving, now my car goes through gear 1,2,3,4 really easy and smooth not nearly as hard as it was to shift before last night, 5th seems a little clunky, and 6th does no engage as smooth as it used to and the catch point for the gear seems like i need to pull the shifter further, but it works. also, after i pulled out of 6th one time, my car seems liek it was locked in neutral and would not go into any gears. im a little confused as what could be going on casue all my gears work and go in?? and help? :/
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hub/slider is burred, synchro is chewed up, but not so bad its just not there like has happened to some of the rest of us MR owners. Start saving for a 5 speed swap.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:23 AM

so is it bad if i keep driving on it like it is?? or should i get it checked out and fixed whatever the problem might be. all gears engage and work, trans just doesnt feel as good as it did before. anyoone have any ideas what it would cost to get it running back into good shape again based on what i described?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Hub/slider is burred, synchro is chewed up, but not so bad its just not there like has happened to some of the rest of us MR owners. Start saving for a 5 speed swap.
This problem is caused by crashing 5th gear. There is a classic design flaw with this syncro assembly. There is insufficient clearance between the syncro slider and the syncro hub. Even only slight burring on one side of the slider will inhibit sliding in the other diection. It may not be serious enough a problem for a recall, but Mitsubishi should at least make available a revised part to stop a reccurance.

Parts list.

5th Gear.
5th Gear Syncro Ring.
5th/6th Syncro Slider.
5th/6th Energiser Springs and Keys.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 03:18 AM

What to do?

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
So what do you guys think, I've got mine at the dealer now trying to approve warranty work for this problem. I don't think they're going to give in. What's the vote if the bill is on me... repair the 6 speed, or do a 5 speed swap?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5 speed swap will cost $2500. It will be cheaper to rebuild the 6 speed, but not at the dealer. You'll end up spending more than anywhere.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mattytuck411
So what do you guys think, I've got mine at the dealer now trying to approve warranty work for this problem. I don't think they're going to give in. What's the vote if the bill is on me... repair the 6 speed, or do a 5 speed swap?
get the dealer to fix ur stuff and sell it and get a 5 spdr
Old Feb 24, 2010, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr Gears
This problem is caused by crashing 5th gear. There is a classic design flaw with this syncro assembly. There is insufficient clearance between the syncro slider and the syncro hub. Even only slight burring on one side of the slider will inhibit sliding in the other diection. It may not be serious enough a problem for a recall, but Mitsubishi should at least make available a revised part to stop a reccurance.

Parts list.

5th Gear.
5th Gear Syncro Ring.
5th/6th Syncro Slider.
5th/6th Energiser Springs and Keys.
Originally Posted by JohnBradley View Post

These two things would be good to open up a case with Mitsubishi. Even if they do nothing about it. I'm up for doing so if others are just get something going.

Here are the contacts numbers I found:
For general inquiries,
write to us at:
Mitsubishi Motors North America Inc.
PO Box 6400
Cypress, CA 90630

at 1-888-MITSU2010
(1-888-648-7820)

I don't really care about it being covered. I'd be fine with revised/improved parts to reduce this problem.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

They told me to pound sand and tried getting my VIN to void the rest of my warranty. At least the dealership I had gone to went out of business and the district rep got fired but thats another story for another time

Mitsu will continue to do jack squat about the transmissions claiming that everyone abuses/abused them and thats not their problem. They refuse to admit their outsourced transmission (Aisin) is junk. They know its enough of an issue that some of the EDM are reputed to have a Getrag 6 speed.

Pricing should be something like-

Used 04+ 5 speed- 1500
Cables and shifter base- 150

Labor-

R&R- 600
Modify console and reverse wiring- 150

Least thats what we charge for this type of deal.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 08:51 AM

My 06 MR is having the same issue. Shifts into 6th, but you gotta really force it in there..it takes a couple seconds to get into the gear. Also, it's a real pain in the *** trying to get it out of the 6th gear as well.

I gotta fix this ****. It's not the fluid, guys. I changed it less than a year ago, and I've put maybe 5,000 miles on it since then.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:51 PM

same probelm..what to do..
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:54 AM

I developed the same issue last Sunday night. Did a pretty hard start, shifted to second but then going for third i think it crashed between the 3rd and 5th position which caused a bit of grinding; I quickly slammed the clutch in and cruised to a stop.
When I took off again, 1 2 3 4 5 is good but going to 6th takes a lot of effort; no grinding but just very notchy. From 6 back to 5 is the same thing but then 5-4-3-2-1 is like normal.
What is the consensus, slider spring?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Same thing mine did, its burred and will eventually leave you with no 6th.

Quick Reply: MR won't shift into 6th gear?!