Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Twin need rebuild?

Old Jun 12, 2015, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exedy Twin need rebuild?

I just picked up my new to me Evo last night. I thought it needed a clutch adjustment as it is grabbing at the top, but after driving it a little more tonight I'm not sure. It seems to be dragging when you let up on the clutch about an inch, then at the top it grabs hard. It does not slip under load at all.

I'm new to Evo's and multi disk setups so bare with me. Is it possible that a plate is warped? It was rebuilt about 15k miles ago and street driven since. I'm going to be pulling the trans either way as the flywheel has a couple broken teeth on it and needs to be replaced.

To be clear, it does not drag with the clutch to the floor.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by justin_l_; Jun 12, 2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:36 PM

Try adjusting the pedal height (engagement). The clutch pedal has a threaded rod with jam nut for adjusting. Lengthen rod to raise pedal and engagement. Shortening the rod will lower pedal engagement. I like to have engagement in the first 1/3 of pedal travel off the floor. As the clutch plates wear the engagement will get higher off the floor. You can chase the wear with the pedal adjustment until time for rebuild. BTW I have an Exedy twin SD, 25K 400HP launches still holding strong. Cutch life depends on how you abuse it and proper pedal adjustment.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:46 PM

If I adjust it like you say, just to lower the pedal engagement the clutch will drag constantly at it drags about an inch off the floor. Lowering the engagement point would eliminate the little window I have where the clutch is fully disengaged.

To be clear, about one inch off the floor you can feel the clutch drag, not enough to take off but enough it would probably inch forward if you brought it up on the 2 step. This does not change till several inches off the floor where the clutch actually grabs like normal.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 09:20 AM

i am also interested in a response to this thread, i also run an exedy twin and my clutch stays slightly engaged even with the pedal at the bottom of its travel. my adjustment is maxed out, has anyone had luck replacing just the discs? or do i need to order a pressure plate as well (basically a whole clutch kit)
Old Jun 15, 2015, 07:45 PM

Is the answer to this that obvious, or does nobody know?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 07:34 PM

Anybody?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:03 PM

I emailed exedy and got some info on tolerances, when I pull the trans I'm going to check everything and see what's going on. This is the email from exedy for future reference:

Justin,

Thank you for your interest in EXEDY products.

The discs new are 4.0mm and discard thickness is 3.0mm.

Total allowable warpage for the entire clutch assembly is 0.5mm. This includes the combined measufement of flywheel face, both sides of the intermediate plate, and top plate ( pressure plate).

The post height should be 32.00 mm +/-0.10mm.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me.

Steve Kaminski
Technical Coordinator
www.EXEDYUSA.com
734-612-8172 (Cell)
734-397-6608 (Desk)