Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Modification Math (stock turbo)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2008, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Modification Math (stock turbo)

Thought it would be interesting to take the typical mods we do on a stock Evo and see how they add up. Let's take an Evo VIII for example. This car comes with basically about 280 hp (engine power).

Now let's say we use a Mustang chassis dyno for example as well. This stock Evo VIII would dyno at around 210 hp atw and stock boost is around 19 psi? Correct me where I'm wrong here guys.

Now let's think of maxing out this stock Evo with the usual bolt ons. Assume after every part added a remap was done and boost was raised if it could be safely. Assume 93 octane for everything.

hp atw gain -> modification
--------------------------------------
30 hp -> raised boost and remap
20 hp -> 3" exhaust and downpipe and turbo elbow
20 hp -> intercooler and hard pipes
20 hp -> nice camshaft
20 hp -> ported exhaust mani, intake mani and throttle body

110 hp total atw gain

So this means the car is now up to 320 atw. Is this typical for fully modded stock turbo Evo 8? Are some Evo 8's making a lot more than this with stock turbos? Where is my modification math off then to make that extra power atw?
Old Apr 13, 2008, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You should throw in adding a new DV on your first mod level, the stock plastic piece won't cooperate as well, I made that mistake.

I was at 325 dynojet with cams, TBE and o2 housing, boost at 21 with your math and taking the mustang dyno into account (325x0.85 is about 280HP) , that might be close. I'd love to think when I put on a FMIC and pipes I'll gain 20

If we take that and add your 20 for the TB and porting, we get right to that 320 number you put out there
Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would say your pretty close to spot on. The MD that I use stock 8s see about 190-200 and cammed 8s usually see about 290-300s. So your 20 or so for the ported stuff and theres your 320. But YOU and ME are talking about unmolested factory calibrated MD

Last edited by kreionic; Apr 13, 2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's really close, i made 301 with out the cams and the ported stuff
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

You are a little off. First off a bolt on evo is not going to have a ported intake manifold. The gains for bolt ons is not worth the labor. You missed out on an 02 housing. One such as megan is going to make a lot more power than a ported stocker which makes absolutely no power when ported. Basically a waste of time. I have seen 10whp alone off a ported manifold and another 15whp on an SS 02 housing. Now you cant really put a number on a tune because not all tunes are created equal. Some are more aggressive and some are conservatively. Lets say 20whp on a conservative one and 40whp on an aggressive one. Also camshafts have a big variance too. Some gain 50-60whp on cams. These are also dynojet numbers so you do the math. Hard for us to look at mustang dyno numbers considering most people dyno their car for bragging rights and thats how most companies rate their staged kits. This is going to be a tuff thread. You are gonna have to calculate the parts with ranges.

Intake= 5-10whp
Exhaust=15-25whp
Tune=20-40whp
Cams=30-60whp
Intercooler kit=20-40whp
Old Apr 14, 2008, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just made 297whp @20lbs of boost on CBRD's MustangDyno with a K&N drop-in, 3" TBE, HKS 264's, Hallman MBC, and a Walbro. So I think your close with your math.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for your input all. RevMoto I did put in o2 housing but just called it a turbo elbow. But from what you wrote I left out an intake. Probably not a big deal since this is really just broad generalizations.

Another final question is... how much more hp atw would you make going to race fuel or meth?

One way to look at it, is I think 9sec9 (OKIX's car) made 443 atw. This is what many consider the absolute max on the Green. 120+ octane oxygentated race fuel + meth! Built head, motor, etc... So we know the stock tubby ain't gonna hit that number

But then how close can it get?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
I just made 297whp @20lbs of boost on CBRD's MustangDyno with a K&N drop-in, 3" TBE, HKS 264's, Hallman MBC, and a Walbro. So I think your close with your math.
Nice #'s

Are you running a turbo elbow? IC piping? Intercooler? If not you are a bit ahead on the math which means your car is running nice.

What's your next mod? Maybe do the porting stuff?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
Nice #'s

Are you running a turbo elbow? IC piping? Intercooler? If not you are a bit ahead on the math which means your car is running nice.

What's your next mod? Maybe do the porting stuff?
I don't have any plans for future mods... My pocket still hurts from the last round. I listed all my mods in my post. Chad was impressed with my cars #'s, neither one of use expected it to make that much power.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for your input all. RevMoto I did put in o2 housing but just called it a turbo elbow. But from what you wrote I left out an intake. Probably not a big deal since this is really just broad generalizations.

Another final question is... how much more hp atw would you make going to race fuel or meth?

One way to look at it, is I think 9sec9 (OKIX's car) made 443 atw. This is what many consider the absolute max on the Green. 120+ octane oxygentated race fuel + meth! Built head, motor, etc... So we know the stock tubby ain't gonna hit that number

But then how close can it get?
A stock turbo can......well IX. But again I use dynojets here and not mustang dynos. 4WS made 438whp on his car with on intake, dump, intercooler piping and intercooler, and meth. I am putting meth on in a couple of weeks so I am hoping to come close to the 450whp mark. That should be more along the lines of 400-415whp. I do have my hands on a mustang dyno but never use it. I might have to.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 01:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Here is some data to add to this thread that I have seen here in California on beautiful 91 octane.

First one is a 03 Evo 8.

base run is 100% stock with 30,000 something miles on it. This is the highest base run we have ever seen from a 03 Evo 8 so the after gains aren't huge. We usually see stock 03 Evo 8's do 190-210whp on our dyno.

So, base run is 100% stock, test run where with these mods:

1. TBE (tanabe 2.75" DP, Perrin HFC, Greddy Evo2 catback)
2. Blitz drop-in filter
3. Ecu boost assembly (upgraded pill) 21psi
4. Fuel Pump
5. Dyno tune

Of course peak numbers aren't always the name of the game, you will notice from the overlay, a large gain in spool and area under the curve, espically 5,000 to 5800rpm.

-----------------------------

2006 Evo 9

Base run = 100% stock
Test run = Custom dyno tune + boost assembly (ecu-boost control @ 21.5psi peak)

+32whp / +33wtq peak

2006 Evo 9

Base run = 100% stock
Test run =
1. Boost assembly (ecu-controlled boost @ 22psi peak)
2. Blitz drop-in air filter
3. TBE (Tanabe 2.75" DP, Perrin HFC, Greddy Ti-C cat-back)
4. Fuel Pump
5. Custom dyno tune

+48whp / +49wtq

And of course the large gain in spool and area under the curve, espically way up top where the stock evo takes a nose dive.

2006 Evo 9

base run = 100% stock
Test run =
1. GM 3port Boost solenoid
2. Open air filter
3. TBE (Tanabe 2.75" DP, Test pipe, Greddy Ti-C cat-back)
4. Fuel Pump
5. RC 750cc injectors
6. Custom dyno tune

+76whp / +65wtq (Almost 100whp increase at 7200rpm and almost 90wtq gain at 3400 rpm)

I have a bunch more if people are curious.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
A stock turbo can......well IX. But again I use dynojets here and not mustang dynos. 4WS made 438whp on his car with on intake, dump, intercooler piping and intercooler, and meth. I am putting meth on in a couple of weeks so I am hoping to come close to the 450whp mark. That should be more along the lines of 400-415whp. I do have my hands on a mustang dyno but never use it. I might have to.
Good info but I'm thinking we should probably leave out Dynojet numbers because it get's confusing and to call Dynojet numbers "at the wheels" is playing things a bit fast and loose.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Good info but I'm thinking we should probably leave out Dynojet numbers because it get's confusing and to call Dynojet numbers "at the wheels" is playing things a bit fast and loose.
True but most people end up dynoing the car on a dynojet and all vendors use dynojet numbers to sell products. Just dynoed a IX with cobb tbe, intake, custom tune and made 286whp (mustang dyno). I just installed one of my ported manifolds on it and an 02 housing. Waiting on an intercooler then we are throwing it back on the dyno.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Nice info Razorlab!

To summarize:

#1: bone stock evo 8 ---> tune, exhaust, filter, more boost = 34 hp

#2: bone stock evo 9 ---> tune, more boost = 32 hp

#3: bone stock evo 9 ---> tune, more boost, filter, exhaust = 76 hp

How come you think the #3 example was such a beast?

By the way that is real professional how you do the baselines like that. Very impressive stuff.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
Just dynoed a IX with cobb tbe, intake, custom tune and made 286whp (mustang dyno).
Good stuff. Sounds like things are working well for an intake, exhaust and tune.

Quick Reply: Modification Math (stock turbo)