Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

borg Warner

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyin EVO 2
Mike Reichen tested a S374 vs. the Garrett GT 4294r. The S 374 actually spooled faster than the smaller 42R. He used the S374 when he won the Hot Rod standing mile at Maxton. He went 210mph and lifted the throttle for 2 seconds because of a strong side wind. He was running 38 psi on plane jane HKS 272's. Also where the BW's shine is at high boost. There compressor maps are more efficent at higher pressure ratios vs. Garrett. Last, but not least Brent Rau runs low 7's with a Borg Warner S374. FP has the S374's in stock, and I think they can get other models if requested.
Nice to know. I know the guys that built my turbo in my sig manufacture alot of the BW units alot of the racers and dealers sell/use. Might want to contact them as well. I would like to see what Mike from AWD motorsports has to say about his back to back tests where he blew 3 of them back to back to back.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:43 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Flyin EVO 2
Mike Reichen tested a S374 vs. the Garrett GT 4294r. The S 374 actually spooled faster than the smaller 42R. He used the S374 when he won the Hot Rod standing mile at Maxton. He went 210mph and lifted the throttle for 2 seconds because of a strong side wind. He was running 38 psi on plane jane HKS 272's. Also where the BW's shine is at high boost. There compressor maps are more efficent at higher pressure ratios vs. Garrett. Last, but not least Brent Rau runs low 7's with a Borg Warner S374. FP has the S374's in stock, and I think they can get other models if requested.

I don't believe that...

I not knocking BW, they are good turbos...We just did a Hot Rod car with an S374. I've have seen more than a few cars switch from a GT4294R to a S372 and the S372 spools slower. I can't imagine the S374 spooling any faster. Im not saying its a bad thing, they are quite a bit bigger than the 4294's...It should be expected.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by SmokinU
Ask Mike that use to be with USP motorsports....he did some back to back testing on the GT versus the Borg Warner. I believe he blew up 3 of Bullseye's units on the dyno with just a handful of passes.
Well, I think I have heard wind of this... Do you know what his oil line setup was? I have heard (don't know if it was him or not... or who it was really) that someone toasted a good couple of them because they tried running the oil feed off of the head. The BWs need something like 60psi (at redline IIRC) - they need to be a -4 off of the oil filter housing or something with high enough pressure. Running them off of Evo heads will not provide them enough oil. Also, FWIW my cousin is putting a BW on his 9 now (as in.. it's mocked and they're working on the charge piping & o2), so I'm sure some in progress pictures will show up and such. The kid who put it together was mentioning possibly putting together some more kits (complete) for people if they wanted.