Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Timing belt help (tension)

Old May 10, 2008, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing belt help (tension)

I'm doing my timing belt and I wanted to know how much tension I should put on the belt initially before I pull the pin out of the hydraulic tensioner. Right now, I have enough tension on the so that when I pull the pin out, the tensioner doesn't move, and I can put it back. Is this correct?
Old May 10, 2008, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been a while and I only helped do mine....but there was a tensioner for the accessory belt that you had to put a pin in to get the belt off, but I don't remember being anything like that for the timing belt........the way you got that one off was with the threaded tool or a home made m8 rod with 2 bolts locked on it..........
Old May 10, 2008, 01:38 PM

Right, I understand that. What I'm referring to is once I put the new TIMING belt on, and readjust the tension pulley. I'm trying to figure out hoe much pressure should I put on the belt (by rotating the pulley) before I release the pin on the hydraulic tensioner.
Old May 10, 2008, 03:32 PM

Anyone?
Old May 10, 2008, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

i dont think u have to set any initial tension. just put the tensioner in and pull the pin.
Old May 10, 2008, 06:39 PM

The tensioner pulley puts tension on the belt depending on how you pivot it. I'm just trying to find out how much people pivot it. Can I do it by hand, or should I get the mitsu pulley adjuster tool?
Old May 10, 2008, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Just did mine on a 4g64 and while reading the manual and getting help from another forum.

I was told that as long as you can remove the pin in and out of the tensioner, then that is enough tension.

They also said to rotate the engine manually about 8 times and check the tensioner again. ( i didn;t do this part but haven't had any problems...)
Old May 10, 2008, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nevonate
The tensioner pulley puts tension on the belt depending on how you pivot it. I'm just trying to find out how much people pivot it. Can I do it by hand, or should I get the mitsu pulley adjuster tool?
the hydraulic tensioner put tension on the belt by pushing the arm on the tensioner pully assembly. all u have to do is install the hydraulic tensioner and pull the pin out and the hydraulic tensioner will set the tension. afterward u should turn it a few turns and make sure it stay tight.
Old May 10, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

If you can pull the pin, spin the engine and the pin back in that would be correct tension.
Old May 10, 2008, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Stupid me for not watching closely enough as my friend did this.
Old May 11, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitsutech56
If you can pull the pin, spin the engine and the pin back in that would be correct tension.
yup.... thas right... spin engine, go drink a beer for 10-20 minutes then come back.. if pin slides easily in you're good.

n
Old May 16, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Bringing this back with a question on a Timing Belt job that was done on my IX. It's a complete Kit, (Both belts,both tensioners,both Idlers, water pump, cam seals and crank seal). All marks line up and has been verified three times, in other words, we've done the job three time now. It fires up fine and drives up in down the RPM's really strong from vacuum to boost, pulls hard. The problem is when crusing at 3000 rpm, 3100 rpm, 3200 rpm, intermittenly, it will pull timing really bad and lose power, almost like the balancer or balancer tensioner vibrates and the knock sensor picks it up. Or the MIVEC timing at cruising is off, not sure at this point. It sounds like a muffled tommey gun but as you let off the gas, it goes back to normal until you reach 3000rpm again. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Crank sensor was check as well, and one more thing. The Ex. Cam did rotate clock wise (facing cam gears) maybe 20deg, but was moved back. Shop is checking timing today as a possibility.

Last edited by mdsevo06; May 16, 2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old May 16, 2008, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

bump for some experienced help.
Old May 16, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Compression check and a leak down test was performed with great results, motor is good. The IX ran good before timing job, it had the noisey bearing from the tensioner, which has been seen on other IX's. This is related to the timing area. I guess no one has run it to this problem.
Old May 16, 2008, 11:02 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the tensions will change a little with what belt you use.... i always set them, as said, so the pin slides nice and loose... turn the motor over by hand about 10 times.... then let it sit... we start them initially with the side cover off (hence no water pump, so dont let it run long)... and then check them again.

cheers

cb

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing belt help (tension)