Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FUSE repeating problem

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2008, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FUSE repeating problem

Hey all,

I wanna explain my situation and see what everyone thinks about it. First off it's a 06 Evo IX with about 15k for miles on it. About a month ago, I ended up purchasing an ACT Clutch/Prolite flywheel combo and had a local Mitsu dealership install it. Upon the breaking period of about 600miles, I started to hear a slight rattle underneath my car. Didnt think nothing of it till it had become louder.

With in that 600 mile period, more closer to the 500 mark, one day after parking my car at a store, going in and then comming out, the problem started. After turning the car on and backing out of the spot, the car stalls. At this point, I didnt know what it was nor how to fix it, it would start at all. It would crank, just not turn over. To make thispart shorter, I ended up doing roadside and towing it to the dealership. All they ended up doing was replacing the ECM fuse underneath the hood. That was it, no diag no nothing. So i thought it was just that simple.

Well to update you all, its happened over 10 times(fuses blown) even after being in another local Mitsu dealership for the same issue. It's the same fuse over and over. Just within the past week, the car was towed to the dealership AGAIN.
After being there 2 days, they couldnt replicate the problem, until the 3rd day, it happened while just idling. I picked it up yesterday, they said they replaced a "RELAY" since nothing was found to the be the problem, then guess what happens later on that night. POP FUSE again!!!!!!! (ECM fuse)

What I'm trying to ask is, since my car will be in service AGAIN for the 3rd time, has anyone ran into this problem after a clutch replacement or basically at ALL??? I've searched about it and someone said it had to do with the starter wire, but they checked all that and it was fine.

Basically, i dont think they even checked under the car for anything they didnt secure but once again, its a Mitsu dealership that has no answers for me.

Fuses popped at different times during different driving situations too.
1st backing out of a parking spot
2nd waiting to do a U-turn across from my work
3rd at a traffic light idling
4th leaving a store again
and upon trying to restart vehicle after putting new fuses in, they would pop over and over, unless I let the car sit for like 5-10 mins.

I hope someone can enlighten me and or helping me explain to the dealership what needs to be done,since they dont have a clue.

Thanks
-Mark
Old Jun 1, 2008, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

As I forgot to state, it never happens when I'm gear driving or anything like that. It seems to happen when i'm idling and or using reverse from time to time. Never really in motion.

Just so odd, could it be a transmission sensor? or gear sensor?
Old Jun 1, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

sigh ...
Old Jun 1, 2008, 09:31 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Tadah! I'm here to help

I have *heard* that this can be caused by two reasons.
1) your rear o2 sensor. Consider deleting it w/ w/ help from the EcuFlash section on this forum.
2) water damage shorting out wiring behind the driver's kick panel. Pull it off and feel for moisture.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

It's funny that you say that Scheides

Since i'm catless, that CEL pops up and it tends to happen when that's on... buttttt I've had that light for a while and never had this problem with it till after the clutch install. It's odd but i'm not sure.

I checked within the vehicle before it was shipped to mitsu and didnt feel anything or see moisture.

It's in the dealerships hands at the moment, so i guess I will keep you posted as what they say.

Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2008, 05:51 PM

I would make sure your rear oxygen sensor is not rubbing on the underbody of the car. This will cause the engine fuse to blow.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fishing_ndw
I would make sure your rear oxygen sensor is not rubbing on the underbody of the car. This will cause the engine fuse to blow.
with the previous members post, and JUST now reading yours, that was the problem. I had Mitsu install my clutch, and when the put the cat delete section back on, the had it 180'd the wrong way!!!!

Since they didn't care to put it on correctly and NOT SEE that the o2 wires were about 1mm away from it I gotta pay for a new o2 since it's "aftermarket cat delete"

That pisses me off so much since it was there "mishap" after the clutch install. I should fight it, but they'll come back to it since it's a "Aftermarket item"

Blah

Thanks for everyone's help!!!