Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Which boost controller do you recommend?
Greddy Profec B Spec II
44.12%
AEM TruBoost
55.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Which EBC? AEM TruBoost or Greddy Profec B Spec II?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which EBC? AEM TruBoost or Greddy Profec B Spec II?

What are your experiences with the above mentioned boost controllers and which do you recommend and why?

Thanks

edit: I made this thread in 2 sections, I hope the other thread gets deleted and not this one.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are boosting over 28lbs the greddy sucks. AEM is very accurate and the gauge fits right next to others. Much cleaner install and will never break on you like the greddy.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Does the AEM solenoid make noise? I remember my Profec Type S, which has the same solenoid as the profec b spec II, made tons of ticking noise
Old Jun 7, 2008, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

I have the Truboost and love it, easy to use and works very well. Also, I believe we have them on sale right now
Old Jun 7, 2008, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

I got the AEM since I heard it was really accurate and others on here loved it. I'll be installing it within the next couple days then I'll let you know how it is.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome, please do!
Old Jun 7, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

How much is the AEM Truboost?
Old Jun 7, 2008, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Inprogress
Does the AEM solenoid make noise? I remember my Profec Type S, which has the same solenoid as the profec b spec II, made tons of ticking noise
It does if you hard mount it. I wire tied mine to a loom that was close and you can't hear it.

I have the truboost. I use my solenoid un-married to the truboost gauge and control it with the ECU. The truboost controller is ok but it had pretty gnarly boost spikes that were difficult to control without reducing spool time.

the truboost has 2 boost profiles and off. A, B, OFF

It has a duty cycle setting for A and B

It has a single wastegate spring value that determines when the solenoid starts bleeding air. Higher value bigger spike, lower value slower spool.

It also has a scramble boost feature but you have to wire a switch to activate it.

It has a real nice peak hold feature.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Jun 7, 2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm, but isn't the boost spike issue something that comes with the territory of EBC's? I've read many of your posts Mr. EVO IX, they're very informative!
Old Jun 7, 2008, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Bumpski for more opinions.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slicedbreadno2
How much is the AEM Truboost?
I paid $265 shipped for mine. Every vendor wanted about $290. PM me if you want more info.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:36 PM
Former Sponsor

The on board MAP sensor of the Profec reads higher than the AEM unit which in turn allows it to control boost at higher levels. You can however; run an external MAP on the AEM for super high boost (sold separately). The boost control solenoids are virtually the same for both units. Both units are difficult to operate and have fairly complicated ways to set boost. The instructions for the Profec operation are incorrect in a couple areas. Both do a decent job of controlling boost if set up correctly. In the end, I chose the Profec B Spec II for my own car. I like the ability to turn a knob and adjust the boost. I also use the steering wheel mounted remote to go from low to high boost.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

But once the units are set up, they both hold boost the same and have the same taper characteristics right? I won't be running more then 23-24psi since I'm only on pump 93 on the stock turbo and even if I do race gas the most i'll run is 28-29 which the AEM can handle if I'm not mistaken.

I can get either unit, but the AEM can act as a gauge too you know so I can sell off my boost gauge and regain some of the funds.

I really appreciate everyone's input!
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9sec240
The on board MAP sensor of the Profec reads higher than the AEM unit which in turn allows it to control boost at higher levels. You can however; run an external MAP on the AEM for super high boost (sold separately). The boost control solenoids are virtually the same for both units. Both units are difficult to operate and have fairly complicated ways to set boost. The instructions for the Profec operation are incorrect in a couple areas. Both do a decent job of controlling boost if set up correctly. In the end, I chose the Profec B Spec II for my own car. I like the ability to turn a knob and adjust the boost. I also use the steering wheel mounted remote to go from low to high boost.

i have been using the Greddy unit for the past 18 months and am pretty happy with it...its been working flawlessly...

Ivan...how can i set the greddy up to improve quicker spool...?
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:47 AM
Evolved Member

profec

Quick Reply: Which EBC? AEM TruBoost or Greddy Profec B Spec II?