Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch?FlyWheel Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch?FlyWheel Questions

Okay i put my car for warranty work and they are working on the 5th gear syncros 's... he said while the car is down and you have 33k on stock clutch it might be a smart idea to change out the clutch....

my mods are in my signature and wanna be at 400ish... or under... i like more of autox...

I was wondering should i go ahead and replace the flywheel as well? (he said it was fine, doesn't even need to be resurfaced) but i was just thinking of upgrading it.. lighter better? i really haven't had time to read up on this sorry for the newbi questions but he needs an answer in like two hours...

what am i looking for in a clutch and flywheel combo... weight... driveablity? pedal weight and price?

and while i'm searching everyone is recommending exedy any common problems? with the clutch?

and will this clutch last me as long as the stock one or longer? i think i still had a good 10k left in the stock one... its just he is charging me 112 to install the clutch which is a hell of a deal.. i think

and how much do you think i would looking at with the clutch and flywheel... or either or thanks

Last edited by BlackonBlack2; Jul 1, 2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

a lightened flywheel can definitely make a turbo car more fun to drive... but if yours is in good shape, it may not be worth the added cost of finding a LW FW

most quality aftermarket clutches will last as long as or longer than a stock one, but it all comes down to the power you are making and how you drive. clutchnet makes a lot of nice discs for all kinds of different power levels/types of driving.

for the $112 you're going to get charged for the new clutch install, I would definitely do it with something mild... keep the stock FW and maybe look into a new PP.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by derekste
a lightened flywheel can definitely make a turbo car more fun to drive... but if yours is in good shape, it may not be worth the added cost of finding a LW FW

most quality aftermarket clutches will last as long as or longer than a stock one, but it all comes down to the power you are making and how you drive. clutchnet makes a lot of nice discs for all kinds of different power levels/types of driving.

for the $112 you're going to get charged for the new clutch install, I would definitely do it with something mild... keep the stock FW and maybe look into a new PP.
thanks... i was just looking into a clutch kit which would include the PP i'm assuming... ? its just i can't choose b\t act and exedy now...
Old Jul 1, 2008, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

I would go exedy with fly wheel so you dont have to worry about it later.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

I would go to the amazing search button on the top of this page....
Old Jul 1, 2008, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JJsEvo8
thanks that was the most helpful post ever rock on dude
Old Jul 1, 2008, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JJsEvo8
Haven't you ever asked for help on here before? Have you ever used the search tool for something as generic as a clutch question? Have you seen the number of results you have to fish through to find good information because Cocky dip****s like yourself fill threads with useless banter and try to make others look bad? Have you read some of your own replies to other peoples threads? You provide very little help and rarely contribute anything to this community! When you do have something good to say it gets lost in sarcastic bull**** attitude! Last time you needed help you got a lot of good answers. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=350981)

The OP actually prefaced his question with the fact that he needed quick answers and realized it was probably asked before but because of his unique situation, would like some help.

To the OP if they are only going to charge you $112 for the labor then yes replace your clutch. If money is no object then have them install a twin carbon clutch. If you are worried about your warranty then have them replace it with a stock unit. You seem to have gotten good miles out of the stock clutch, however with more power and torque that will be greatly reduced. I put a Cusco twin in mine at about 20k miles and I couldn't be happier (now at 47K and over 300WHP). I would definately look into a lightened flywheel if you are going with a single disc clutch. If you go with a twin it better include a flywheel!

Hope this helps.

Josh

Last edited by jmelocik; Jul 1, 2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jmelocik
Haven't you ever asked for help on here before? Have you ever used the search tool for something as generic as a clutch question? Have you seen the number of results you have to fish through to find good information because Cocky dip****s like yourself fill threads with useless banter and try to make others look bad? Have you read some of your own replies to other peoples threads? You provide very little help and rarely contribute anything to this community! When you do have something good to say it gets lost in sarcastic bull**** attitude! Last time you needed help you got a lot of good answers. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=350981)

The OP actually prefaced his question with the fact that he needed quick answers and realized it was probably asked before but because of his unique situation, would like some help.

To the OP if they are only going to charge you $112 for the labor then yes replace your clutch. If money is no object then have them install a twin carbon clutch. If you are worried about your warranty then have them replace it with a stock unit. You seem to have gotten good miles out of the stock clutch, however with more power and torque that will be greatly reduced. I put a Cusco twin in mine at about 20k miles and I couldn't be happier (now at 47K and over 300WHP). I would definately look into a lightened flywheel if you are going with a single disc clutch. If you go with a twin it better include a flywheel!

Hope this helps.

Josh
thanks a lot i kinda want to stay under 1000 for a clutch without install costs... i haven't looked into the cusco's but the twin carbon carbon is a little to price for me and they said the aftermarket clutch don't void the warranty because they are doing the install.. plus i'm pretty mod'ed as is and they didn't void warranty but looking into the cusco's right now thanks again
Old Jul 1, 2008, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackonBlack2
thanks a lot i kinda want to stay under 1000 for a clutch without install costs... i haven't looked into the cusco's but the twin carbon carbon is a little to price for me and they said the aftermarket clutch don't void the warranty because they are doing the install.. plus i'm pretty mod'ed as is and they didn't void warranty but looking into the cusco's right now thanks again
Well the Cusco's are a little cheaper than the Exedy but they are the same parts but the pressure plate is blue instead of purple. It still isn't below your $1000 price point though so that may not be an option for you. Exedy has some good single disc clutches if you check them out then contact Chris@nolimitmotorsports on here he can probably hook you up with a good price. I've been buying almost all of my stuff through him and he has always taken care of me.

Josh
Old Jul 1, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jmelocik
Well the Cusco's are a little cheaper than the Exedy but they are the same parts but the pressure plate is blue instead of purple. It still isn't below your $1000 price point though so that may not be an option for you. Exedy has some good single disc clutches if you check them out then contact Chris@nolimitmotorsports on here he can probably hook you up with a good price. I've been buying almost all of my stuff through him and he has always taken care of me.

Josh
yeah i just saw that with a quick search :-P but someone on here is selling a exedy twin disc hd clutch and flywheel etc.. for 1200 so i'm seeing if i can get the extra money
Old Jul 1, 2008, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

definately go for it! The rebuild kit for the exedy's is pretty reasonable so when and if you do finally wear it out, it will be a great deal less expensive to rebuild then to buy a new one! Good luck and I hope everything works out well for you. Let me know if I can be any assistance to you. PM if you have questions.

Josh
Old Jul 13, 2008, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

All you people keep telling people to use the search. I'm looking for a clutch after the ACT HDSS with aluminum flywheel shot my 5th gear synchro on my rebuilt tranny. Ask TRE or SHEP about ACT clutches. I digress though, I got over 250 pages of threads about clutches so give the new guys a break when they ask about what clutch is best!