Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Might be old news, but with the new talk about octane...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2003, 09:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might be old news, but with the new talk about octane...

http://www.easyperformance.com/Octan...d_Frameset.htm

I use Xylene... the calculator shows an octane rating of 94.71 with one gallon of Xylene added to 13 gallons of 93 pump gas. With this mixture I got 3-4 mpg better, and most importantly, the inconsistant power became consistant. Meaning, the car was less sensitive to the hot Texas weather.

Next I'm going to try 2 gallons of Xylene with 12 gallons of 93 octane for 96.43 per the calculator and see how it comes out.

I suggest those of you who know little about this matter research it well, as some of these additives can and will cause damage to your vehicle ...
Old Aug 18, 2003, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes there is a danger in using a high ratio of toulene or xylene, so be careful out there. Since i'm in Cali and we get no 93 gas, to obtain 93, i mix about 1.5 gallons of racing gas (100 octane) and about .6 gallons of xylene or toulene to reach 93
Old Aug 18, 2003, 10:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Main point was the calculator makes it easy for us mathematically challenged...
Old Aug 19, 2003, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

where do you pick up Xylene? and how much does it cost per gallon?
Old Aug 19, 2003, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

I think someone calculated it was cheaper to run race gas mixes than xylene/toulene mixes. When I lived in Cali, I ran about 3 gals of 104 with 10 gals of 91. Ran very nicely. Not a power gain, but a smoother curve. I am probably going to get the works brain to take advantage of 93 out here in VA now.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Here's a neat link to fuel reference guide put together by some Grand National guys. Interesting info for sure. I have a can of 100% pure (or so it says)xylene sitting in my garage ready to run some test mixing.

Living in the central midwest we have some major heat and humidity that really saps turbo engine power. I can only imagine what Texas and other southern states must have to deal with.

As far as cost goes, according to the tables, you don't need much toulene or xlyene to see some reasonable incremental octane rating improvements. Even a 10% mix of xylene with 93 octane (as opposed to 92 in the table) would more than likely net a solid 95 octane fuel rating which is more than likely enough for most peoples needs.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

N10S

Last edited by N10S; Aug 19, 2003 at 06:23 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Might be old news, but with the new talk about octane...

Originally posted by Zeus
http://www.easyperformance.com/Octan...d_Frameset.htm

I use Xylene... the calculator shows an octane rating of 94.71 with one gallon of Xylene added to 13 gallons of 93 pump gas. With this mixture I got 3-4 mpg better, and most importantly, the inconsistant power became consistant. Meaning, the car was less sensitive to the hot Texas weather.

Next I'm going to try 2 gallons of Xylene with 12 gallons of 93 octane for 96.43 per the calculator and see how it comes out.

I suggest those of you who know little about this matter research it well, as some of these additives can and will cause damage to your vehicle ...
BTW Zeus- That octane calculator is a really cool tool that takes all of the guess work out !! I was on the fly earlier, and should have taken the time to take a closer look...my apologies.

A keeper for the bookmarks for sure!

Thanks for the info!

N10S
Old Aug 20, 2003, 09:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by AbusiveWombat
where do you pick up Xylene? and how much does it cost per gallon?
$8 a gallon for 100% Xylene at Sherman Williams paint store...
Old Aug 20, 2003, 09:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Chris in HB
I think someone calculated it was cheaper to run race gas mixes than xylene/toulene mixes. When I lived in Cali, I ran about 3 gals of 104 with 10 gals of 91. Ran very nicely. Not a power gain, but a smoother curve. I am probably going to get the works brain to take advantage of 93 out here in VA now.
It's easy for me to drive to the track with a gallon of Xylene in the back. Get there and dump a gallon with a little less than a half tank of gas for a 96 octane brew.... or whatever you want to mix. I don't have to worry about what's really coming out of the tracks pumps... if you know what I mean.

BTW I get 93 pump gas for $1.50 a gallon here... sometimes a good amount less.

Last edited by Zeus; Aug 20, 2003 at 09:08 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 09:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Re: Re: Might be old news, but with the new talk about octane...

Originally posted by N10S

BTW Zeus- That octane calculator is a really cool tool that takes all of the guess work out !! I was on the fly earlier, and should have taken the time to take a closer look...my apologies.

A keeper for the bookmarks for sure!

Thanks for the info!

N10S
That was the real point of the post... I'll up my octane in the summer for your reasons in the last post. I'm really more impressed with pump gas numbers as they will tell you more how your going to fair on "any given" day of the week...
Old Aug 21, 2003, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Re: Re: Re: Might be old news, but with the new talk about octane...

Originally posted by Zeus

That was the real point of the post... I'll up my octane in the summer for your reasons in the last post. I'm really more impressed with pump gas numbers as they will tell you more how your going to fair on "any given" day of the week...
ok, not to steal your thunder, but i've got a calculator i like even better:

http://www.collectracecars.com/octcalc.htm

very cool.

i've been experimenting with xylene and toluene both for the last coupla months. pretty nice stuff. leaning towards toluene at the moment, goes for just over $7/gal at the local paint store.

also, as far as safe ratios, the general concensus seems to be "no more than 30%". i especially trust that figure coming from BP:

http://www.bp.com.au/products/fuelnews/faq.asp#2

i've seen no reason to go over 15%, even using the processed urine we get for gas here in CA. 2 gallons 114 love juice in 11 gallons 91 urine nets me 94.5 and i'm a happy boy. even 1 gallon toluene in a tank is enough to make a noticable difference.

have yet to try the race gas, but i'll get around to it. seems a bit awkward and expensive to me, since i have to go hunting for it, i have to use way more to get to the same octane level, and from all accounts it's usually about $6/gallon for unocal 100 around here.

but hey, i'll try anything once...
Old Aug 21, 2003, 08:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

No "thunder" to steel... I'm one of those true enthusiasts that posts and reads info on the net for the pure enjoyment of the subject matter. I think these poor people who try to prove how smart and great they are to complete strangers (who they will probably never meet or see) on the Internet should seriously seek some counseling and help with their general self esteem. Being "bested", or proven wrong is how I learn more about what I love to do with my time.

With that said, great link... added it to my favorites!

Thanks.