Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

how to Confirm Clutch wear/replacement

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
how to Confirm Clutch wear/replacement

I am experiencing what feels like clutch slip while logging WOT. Or trying to. There are potentially lots of little issues with this 9MR that I got used. The clutch wasn't slipping when I bought it, but since then I have upped the power a bit.

Is there a visual way to confirm clutch wear or the need for replacement by removing the inspection place. What do I look for or measure? Its a stock clutch, so is it expected to slip since I am logging boost spikes of 25 psi?

Or should a non worn stock clutch hold that without slipping?

I measured the pedal tolerances and they all seemed inline with Mitsu specs. Could an incorrectly set pedal even result in slippage? or can it not work that way around. I don't experience any issue shifting (disengaging the clutch disc).

Any ideas before I set out to purchase and replace the clutch to make sure that is what is needed, is appreciated.

Thanks M
Old Aug 29, 2008, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cant give you any other way to diagnose a slipping clutch except pulling it off and visually inspecting it. If you're starting to feel it then get your self rdy for a new clutch. My guy's evo8 started to slip a little bit about 3 months ago and know the clutch is completely fried.

U got ur self a modified evo so expect the clutch to work 2x as hard.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your boost will dip at high RPM in a high gear as your engine load increases, it will then shoot back to normal and grip and go.

Shortly after you will be on an on ramp one day rev in third gear the revs will shoot up and you will go nowhere and it will be time for a new clutch.

If you feel the clutch is slipping, it probably is and is a good idea to change it anyway.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I can specifically induce it by flooring it in 3rd and up. Even after a bunch of slipping (while logging) I can complete the clutch test of putting on the hand brake and it will stall every time.

I have read zillions of posts, some real old, about clutches. Any current recommendations you guys would make (or what you would buy), for enough strength to handle stock turbo with mods (no more than 300WHP), and light track use. No drag racing. I have a bum left knee so I always like the slightly softer pedal if possible as well. The evo stock pressure was caddy like compared to my WRX. I suspect I will lose lots of that going with a stronger clamping force.

M