Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

bad boost controller???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad boost controller???

hi,

I need your help! My car (05 evo 8) when hits high rpm's doesnt accelerate smoothly like before, but instead it kinda stutters and goes as if i kept my foot on the gas and it cuts off for a second then goes and same thing over and aver... AND my boost gauge shows 30 psi when its supposed to stay at 21 psi. What i did is turn the boost all the way down and see if it keeps doing the cut offs during acceleration and now it doesnt. So do you guys think i have a bad boost controller or is the problem something else. It is the forge bc and its the silver one. I've had problems with it before when the boost just jumps on its own from 21 to 28,29, or 30 psi!!!

Please help me if you have any idea.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

im not 100% sure but it sounds like whats happening is your b.c is in fact sticking/not working and your boost is going through the roof and your ecu is reading an "over boost". is your check engine light on? usually it will throw a code when something like this happens, if it is on figure out with code it is and we will be able to help out furthur. again this is just my opinion so noone jump my a$$ lol
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:44 AM

no check engine light, right now thw boost is turned all the way down. im runnin like 11 psi and tested the car by fully accelerating and going around the same speed when the boost was up and nothing happens, the car drived just fine..no more cut offs at high rpms. i think its my bc but im not sure.

anymore advise would be appreciated.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

i believe the forge b/c is a ball and spring if it is then the ball could be sticking. take it apart and use vasiline to lube it up so it doesnt stick anymore. i had to do that to my turbo xs b/c. once you b/c is working again slowly turn the boost back up to your desired boost and let us know what happens. but if you dont have a cel the reason your car was jerking on/off could be from the bov blowing open due to the high psi and couldnt hold it anymore...but its hard to say...
Old Sep 26, 2008, 05:17 AM

ok i will try that.

thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

A lot of variables here:

Magyar86 is right on the money in the fact that the ball does get stuck a lot on the Forge Controllers, mine did as well.

Is your gauge completely accurate?

If your spark plugs are not gapped correctly, that could lead to the higher rpm sputter too.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by FQ-300
A lot of variables here:

Magyar86 is right on the money in the fact that the ball does get stuck a lot on the Forge Controllers, mine did as well.

Is your gauge completely accurate?

If your spark plugs are not gapped correctly, that could lead to the higher rpm sputter too.

Hope that helps.

I will have to check my plugs too.

thanks.