Evo Engine / Turbo / DrivetrainEverything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
Sponsored by: World Racing
Welcome to EvolutionM.net!
Welcome to EvolutionM.net.
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!
High Pitch Noise or Squeal coming from my car. (not brakes related)
I am starting to hear a high pitch noise coming from my car. The problem is I can't tell where its coming from. At first, I thought it was gear whine and posted on the gear whine thread, but I really don't know what it is now.
This is what I know so far:
*When driving, I hear a high pitch noise as I accelerate. The Noise starts coming in at around 2,000 rpms and get's louder. As I rev higher, my engine makes a roar that overshadows the pitch. I hear it pretty well during 3K to 4K when I am about do my shift. You hear it pitch up. clutch in..the pitch slowly gets quieter while my revs drop.
I went for a drive. observing the sound. Earlier that day, I accidently dumped my clutch being in the wrong gear at the wrong speed. (Something was on my mind, I shifted out of 2nd but mid way. I hesitated like I had brain freeze. But it pack into 2nd, but my rpms dropped and my speed didn't and....yeah sucks). but I thought the sound got louder. So I was examining my driving.
Here are some experiments I ran:
1) If I blip the throttle, so 0 to 3K. I don't hear the pitch.
2) if I keep a constant rpm while going X speed. let's say 3,000K. The sound is definitely there. The engine somewhat overshadows the sound, but if you hear carefully its there.
3) I thought it was my turbo....if turbo's squel like that but I didn't hear my turbo spooling up. I can tell if I am on boost.
So I thought it was maybe something linked to driveline or gears or flywheel or something where the car is in gear. Ran Next experiment
4) Drive at 50 mph or even 60mphs. Clutch in to Neutral. And slowly throttle to hold a constant rpm but having nothing connected...I can hear the pitch.
Do I need my wheels moving to hear the sound?
5) I head back home and let the car just idle. I can hear a light pitch sound as well. I dunno if its the same one, but I hear it. The sound, I thought was coming from right under my car. Could it be the exhaust? or the pipes. Maybe a air circulation is causing a pitch sound?
any suggestion guys. I'm not a super car die so I really don't know. Plus this is my first standard, maybe it's something I induced from learning.