Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

P0171=help!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2008, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0171=help!

Long story short, my car has been running like complete *** since it was tuned+cold weather. My idle dips way too low about 300 where it's about to stall (has stalled twice before but usually doesn't), my car is throwing a P0171 code (o2 sensor bank 1, too lean), and now MY CAR WON'T START! The funny thing about all of this I've already gone back an hour away with this problem and I was sent on my way with it a little "better". SO can anybody tell me what the hell is going on with my car, it only has 10,000 miles on it, and it's running way rich since I can practically smell gas coming out my exhaust (and black residue all over my rear bumper). Every time I try to start the car it cranks it smells like raw gasoline coming out the exhaust, and then it makes a slight pop as I stop cranking. I'm thinking spark plugs may be fouled, but it's too dark out to check right now (would make sense with how rich my car is running). BUT WHY DOES MY CAR RUN LIKE ***, what's with the P0171, and it was there when I got tuned and was not told about it, just said it was from the testpipe (which is o2 sensor bank 2). Me being an idiot I believed it until today I scanned the car, and saw this code. It's all starting to make sense why it's been running so bad. Someone please help !

Last edited by SRT-TO-EVO; Dec 16, 2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 03:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I must suck!! Please contact me if we tuned it so we can get you squared away before we shut down for the holidays.

Sean
Old Dec 16, 2008, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sean@Iveytune
I must suck!! Please contact me if we tuned it so we can get you squared away before we shut down for the holidays.

Sean
Thank you so much, but the only problem is now I have to see why the car isn't starting. I hope it's the plugs right now but I really have no idea. Once again thanks for being able to give my car another look, but hopefully I can even get it there.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 03:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Put fresh plugs in. Who is this by the way so I can recall what is going on with the car.Oh and now that I know which car this is, your testpipe was causing a P0420 for Cat efficiency was not a PO171.
The last time I looked at the car there was no check engine light and the car was driving ok.

Perhaps something popped off? A hose?

Sean

Last edited by Sean@Iveytune; Dec 16, 2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

I'm the one that stopped by again like 3 weeks ago with the white MR. I told you I just got a RED and was saving up for cams to installed and retuned by you. We tried relearning the idle on my car but that didn't work but did make it slightly better. I was with my friend Al, but you said you couldn't spend too much time on my car since you were real busy.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:05 PM
Former Sponsor

So now the car has a PO171 and the car will not start? Something else has to be going on.

I don't think we did any of the mods on your car.

Perhaps you should have the car checked out?

Sean

Last edited by Sean@Iveytune; Dec 16, 2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Anyway if you need our help to sort it out call in tommorow and try and stop by outside of that there isnt much that can be done.

Sean
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

So now the car has a PO171 and the car will not start? Something else has to be going on.

Perhaps you should have the car checked out?

Sean
I'm pretty sure it's the plugs but I'll find that out tomorrow. The code has been there for a while now (since I was tuned) just always thought it was for the exhaust until I found out today . What should I have it checked for?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:14 PM
Former Sponsor

That code was not there when you brought the car to me, remember I checked it and took it for a drive, there was NO P0171.
Car needs to be checked out bring it in.

Sean
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Good to see Ivey respond so fast, I was just with srt-to-evo trying to figure the issue out. We first thought the idle issue may have been caused by the ETS intake, we then Hooked my laptop to the Evo and used Generic Scan tech to check the codes and P0171 popped up along with another lean on Bank 1 o2 sensor code.

Also the car will not start what so ever, while chris was cranking it over I stood behind the car and all I smelt was raw fuel and heard a pop as soon as he finished cranking
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Put fresh plugs in. Who is this by the way so I can recall what is going on with the car.Oh and now that I know which car this is, your testpipe was causing a P0420 for Cat efficiency was not a PO171.
The last time I looked at the car there was no check engine light and the car was driving ok.

Perhaps something popped off? A hose?

Sean
It's not throwing a cat efficiency now which is odd. I will check everything tomorrow to see what's up. Any certain hoses in particular I should be aware of? When you drove it around because of the idle the CEL was there, and it idled horribly. It hasn't gone away since the parts were installed.....ever.

I'm assuming the p0171 was always there because I searched and deadbeatrec was having the same issue as me when it popped up. Serious driveability issues with idle dip as soon as clutch was pressed.

Last edited by SRT-TO-EVO; Dec 16, 2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Who installed all the parts?

Sean
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Who installed all the parts?

Sean
Me.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

ANYONE know what's going on with my car?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 05:21 PM
Account Disabled

Did you blow off an IC pipe? or maybe a huge vacuum leak

Quick Reply: P0171=help!