Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I wanted to show you guys something I've been working on.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2009, 03:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanted to show you guys something I've been working on.

The Diff Eliminator will be available late next week from Wilson Manifolds more info to follow

Most members know 9sec9 has been on quest to find the limits of his 06 RS in drag race trim. Last year we broke the rear diff. Since then we have been working on a way to eliminate that issue. In typical 9sec9 style he wanted the solution to be simple, lite, and bulletproof.

What we came up with was a component that had all of those features. We eliminated the diff, spider gears, and axles and replaced them with two drive plates and one floating sleeve thus turning the carrier into a spool. This is a drag race component only and was not intended to be used on the street.

The install was easy, remove the carrier, remove the ring gear, disassemble the diff, install the diff eliminator, and reassemble. This does not change any of the ring and pinion setup.

9sec9 has protected the IP of this component as you never know what might happen later down the road.

9sec9 does not wait for someone to do something, he makes it happen. We have been working in our spare time to design and build our own parts to stay ahead of the curve for this year. I think many will be suprised by what is coming. I would like to thank him for his friendship and trust with these projects . Indy
Attached Thumbnails I wanted to show you guys something I've been working on.-01-31-09_1530.jpg   I wanted to show you guys something I've been working on.-01-31-09_1532.jpg   I wanted to show you guys something I've been working on.-01-31-09_1533.jpg   I wanted to show you guys something I've been working on.-01-31-09_1537.jpg  

Last edited by Indy Evo; Feb 6, 2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Very nice. It's been a work in progress on this one and you did a great job on it! I'd expect nothing less. Looking forward to having them on the shelf and in the cars!

Thank you Indy and 9sec9.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Pretty cool - didn't want to be ghetto jeep style and just weld the diff together eh It will be interesting to see where the next weak point is, now that the diff is soild.

Just wondering how the IP is protected? I can't imagine you guys would bother with patents - seems like nobody in the aftermarket auto parts market ever does...

Last edited by jid2; Jan 31, 2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

nice work Indy
Old Jan 31, 2009, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Its great to have such talented people in the Evo community. Makes owning this car even more enjoyable
Old Jan 31, 2009, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a very nice solution to a significant problem.

Where else would it have come from than Indy and Tom?

Keep moving up the bar, guys
Old Jan 31, 2009, 04:29 PM
Former Sponsor

This is what it replaces and the unit assembled. Thanks guys, but it was 9sec9 who made it happen.
Attached Thumbnails I wanted to show you guys something I've been working on.-01-31-09_1527.jpg   I wanted to show you guys something I've been working on.-01-31-09_1536.jpg  
Old Jan 31, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Indy Evo
I need to make it clear that these are not for sale at this time and were custom built for 9sec9.

He has protected the IP of this component as you never know what might happen later down the road.
That's how you protect the IP Only make one
Old Jan 31, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got around to reading this Indy. I sincerely appreciate you and your friendship. You've brought not only your own talents, but also those of some very high end shops to the Evo table. These pieces would not have become reallity without your own immeasurable talents. Your contacts in the 'REAL RACING WORLD' are beyond, beyond. I dare say that your contacts are the finest of the finest and this diff eliminator is only the beginning of what may come.

CO_VR4, unfortunately, as you WELL know, it's cheaper on a per unit basis to build several. It's a matter of twice-three times the price, or build 10 and get the unit cost down, but the total price being much higher than I personally needed. The engineer (yes, I said engineer) and builder of these parts has a reputation in the racing world that speaks for it's self. I've enjoyed being a part of this project and fully expect more to come in the near future. If we experience any further 'weak links' we'll address those as they come up.

Indy, thanks again for your time, effort and results. On a side note, the new airbox is looking good. If I had only spent today working on the car, instead of trimming and painting Tony and Elizabeth's master bedroom and bath, I would have had some logs to look at tonight. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Good work on that. Congrats 9sec9
Old Jan 31, 2009, 06:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9sec9
Just got around to reading this Indy. I sincerely appreciate you and your friendship. You've brought not only your own talents, but also those of some very high end shops to the Evo table. These pieces would not have become reallity without your own immeasurable talents. Your contacts in the 'REAL RACING WORLD' are beyond, beyond. I dare say that your contacts are the finest of the finest and this diff eliminator is only the beginning of what may come.

CO_VR4, unfortunately, as you WELL know, it's cheaper on a per unit basis to build several. It's a matter of twice-three times the price, or build 10 and get the unit cost down, but the total price being much higher than I personally needed. The engineer (yes, I said engineer) and builder of these parts has a reputation in the racing world that speaks for it's self. I've enjoyed being a part of this project and fully expect more to come in the near future. If we experience any further 'weak links' we'll address those as they come up.

Indy, thanks again for your time, effort and results. On a side note, the new airbox is looking good. If I had only spent today working on the car, instead of trimming and painting Tony and Elizabeth's master bedroom and bath, I would have had some logs to look at tonight. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.
Nice work Indy.. Good luck with this Tom.. I have really come to appreciate the drive you have to get parts developed in the weak areas of the Evo...
Old Jan 31, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Me like... but dont need
Old Jan 31, 2009, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

very nice... Always finding ways to make me spend money LOL... Seriously, what a great idea for us drag racers.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Pretty slick

I just hope you don't break an axle as things get real crazy real fast with a spool.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 03:48 AM
Former Sponsor

03 thanks, We could have built a complete spool, we have one drawn and ready to go, but the cost involved building just a few was too high to have them built with the material and at the quality level we wanted. The diff eliminator proved to be our best option to provide a strong, lite, and easy to install component.

As with any form of racing there is always the risk of a weak link somewhere. I believe a rear axle failure with an AWD car with a spool would be more forgiving to control than a two wheel drive vehicle with a spool. It just might give you those few precious seconds to gather it up again. This is just my personal opinion.

I have driven 8 and 9 second cars with spools, with floating and standard axles without any issues. Not to say it could not happen and at some point probably will as we make more power. As 9sec9 said, we will address those issues as they come. My only at the wheel experience with an axle failure was while testing an oval track car that required a locked diff. This was under full power exiting a turn, as I felt the axle break, I pushed in the clutch and coasted back to the pits. As you know in racing with driving or designing it always pays to be prepared for anything.

Last edited by Indy Evo; Feb 1, 2009 at 06:03 AM.

Quick Reply: I wanted to show you guys something I've been working on.