Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Terrible starter noise!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2005, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Terrible starter noise!!

Over the weekend i put a clutch in my evo, lemme tell yah...what a job that was!! but anyways, the first time i started it up it made a terrible screeching/griding noise. i didn't think anything of it except it happens every time i start my car. This noise only happens when i turn it over, and it only happens for the split second the car is firing up...but nonethe less its really really bothering me. Do i have the starter in wrong? is the starter damaged? is my flywheel damaged? im goin crazy trying to figure out what this noise/griding/screeching sound is. I haven't found any write ups on it. Please help!!!
Old Aug 21, 2005, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

when your starter engages, a gear with teeth on it pops out and turns the flywheel. if the teeth on the starter/flywheel aren't aligning, it will grind. you need to make sure they are matching up perfectly. i would get that fixed asap before you fry your flywheel teeth.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you go with an aftermarket flywheel? Might need to shim the starter a bit.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 08:01 PM

no, its a stock flywheel...is there any tips to perfectly align the starter?
Old Aug 21, 2005, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Did you reinstall the bell housing cover before installing the starter?
Old Aug 21, 2005, 08:56 PM

i might of...the bell housing cover was the little sheet of metal that is next to the starter right? that could be my problem...if i take that off then i should be able to see the placement of the starter gear compared to the flywheel and correct it right? please correct me if im wrong.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Yea, it should allow you to see the mesh of the starter gear and the flywheel but that sheet of metal also acts like a shim for the starter, so don't leave it off. Another thing is the 2 bolts that hold the starter on the tranny are different lengths, you may have them mixed up allowing play in the starters alignment.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 04:37 PM

thanks for all the info guys! i pulled the starter and noticed that the metal plate/shim was a little bent and wasn't allowing the starter to sit in the bell housing correctly, thus only engaging the flywheel by the very ends of the teeth and making that dreadful noise. thats for the help.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has it solved the problem??

After my ATS carbon/carbon install - the same thing happens; however, the starter seems to be fine
Old Aug 22, 2005, 06:50 PM

yes yes yes it solved it, my monster purs like a little baby monster when it starts up now...thanx guys
Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:45 AM

I just finished an install of an Unorthodox Racing Ultra-L flywheel in my Evo IX MR. It killed my starter right away, but Mitsu was nice enough to warranty it for me (I was surprised too). The new starter made a sound like an angry chipmunk, so the problem wasn't fixed. I found that with the Ultra-L flywheel you need 4mm of shim for the starter so the starter gear doesn't hit the back of the flywheel friction surface. I wasn't able to find a shim for the MR, so I ended up making my own. I've told Unorthodox about the problem, so hopefully they will fix the flywheel or include the shim in future shipments. It's a great flywheel if you're in the market!