Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo DOHC-4G63T

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo DOHC-4G63T

I've just been reading up on doing an engine swap for my mirage, and just wanted to know how much work this would be - especially if I plan on rebuilding a used engine on top of it (I really don't have a lot of money to spend) even though this'll cost about $3,500.

I just wanted to know if this swap is going to be worth it, since this is just going to be my daily driver car and not exactly something I'm going to be racing a whole lot (except on highways).

If not, let me know what engine I should settle for - or if I should just keep the stock 1.8L 4Cyl inside the Mirage.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

that would be a cool swap. i seen it done in a mag i was looking at. can't rember if it was super street or dsport. but it was nice looking. are you going to keep it FWD or convert it to AWD?
Old Feb 7, 2009, 03:39 PM

Yeah it would be, always wanted to do an engine swap (and a rebuild) - but I'll keep it FWD since it is a daily driver, AWD would just be too much time...maybe in the future
Old Feb 8, 2009, 01:52 PM

awd do it you wont regret it
Old Feb 8, 2009, 04:30 PM

Yeah, but that swap is waaayyy too complicated for me, would take too much time too...Maybe for another car or in the future

Does anyone have any links to others that did it before?
Old Feb 8, 2009, 04:36 PM

Do the swap, agreed..it'll be worth it in the end from the 1.8 liter to the 4g !!
Old Feb 8, 2009, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello there, I was once an 01 Mirage owner. I miss her very much. Here is a few quick notes

1. 5g Mirage is the best platform for the AWD swap. The rear end wouldn't be to hard to put in compaired to ours, which I miss. Anything evo 4/5/6 should work. I would say the swap would run you into the 7 to 9g range, pending if you can find deals on ebay or not. There was a guy who put the complete conversion in his coupe. Its on cardomain and if you can find it, it shows all the parts you will need. The Mirage is silver with an evo carbon fiber hood and evo bumper. I have pics somewhere. you may be able to use quite a few parts from the 03-06 Evo 8/9, but the wiring and ecu will be a huge pain.

2. Get the 4g63t motor, wires and ecu from an evo 4/5/6 and mate it to a FWD 4g64 Eclipse transmission

3. Get the twin turbo 2.5 v6 motor out of a Vr-4 galant from japan. 300hp 97-01 I believe, mate it with FWD transmission. I don't remember the engine code, or the code for the fwd transmission that works with it. Its been done before and I have a pic somewhere of it
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:29 PM

thanks Juan - as for the car, I know what you're talking about, are you thinking about the Miralution car? It's got a video of his AWD running I think 458hp.

Could you talk about what would be included in the rear end and how much work it would be to an AWD swap? Because that sounds extremely out of my league...is it something I'd be able to do in the garage?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sixty6
thanks Juan - as for the car, I know what you're talking about, are you thinking about the Miralution car? It's got a video of his AWD running I think 458hp.

Could you talk about what would be included in the rear end and how much work it would be to an AWD swap? Because that sounds extremely out of my league...is it something I'd be able to do in the garage?
From my knowledge. you should be able to do it in a garage. You will need to cut some of that spare wheel well area out, the sub frame should unbolt and you put the awd one in, and bolt in the awd fuel tank. I recommend using evo 4 parts. The track on the evo 5 and 6 is different. Some people take the eclipse awd system and put it in, but its ugly and I feel its unsafe.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man do it, that will be sick no one will expect it from a mirage
Old Feb 10, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

www.mirageforums.net

It's been done 2498427534985 times. The 4g93 is a fun motor to put boost to, but I wish I had done a 4g63 swap instead. Read up on the Mirage forum. There's some good info on there.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sure it's done before. It'll be one fast Mirage. GL
Old Feb 10, 2009, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

I found one in a magazine today. It was a 2 door with the awd conversion. You might be able to find it on the www.teamhybrid.com website. He's a member on there. There are several people who have done this. As I said, the mirage platform is the best one to do the conversion on. The only problem is, there isn't a clear how to on it. No one would expect it unless they know about the mirage and its ties to the evo 4/5/6. I saw a mirage pull up with anything other than rear drums for brakes in the rear, I ain't messing with it.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:25 AM

http://www.pixcl.com/summitgtx/
Anyone have any idea how to read it? It looks like someone made a tutorial or something, and probably linked to those images but I can't find it anwhere?

And would lilevo's DVD apply to me? Since I have an '01 Mirage with 1.8L and he has a 1.5L on a '95 Mirage.

And granted a lot of people have done it, not a lot of people actually take the time to post how they did it or what parts they used. I'm looking for an AWD subframe - would I be able to set it up on AWD with the 1.8L engine and then swap out the engine in a few months? Would that make it harder on myself, or does it not matter?

And just found this conversion:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/appe...d-all-oem.html

Last edited by sixty6; Feb 11, 2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sixty6
http://www.pixcl.com/summitgtx/
Anyone have any idea how to read it? It looks like someone made a tutorial or something, and probably linked to those images but I can't find it anwhere?

And would lilevo's DVD apply to me? Since I have an '01 Mirage with 1.8L and he has a 1.5L on a '95 Mirage.

And granted a lot of people have done it, not a lot of people actually take the time to post how they did it or what parts they used. I'm looking for an AWD subframe - would I be able to set it up on AWD with the 1.8L engine and then swap out the engine in a few months? Would that make it harder on myself, or does it not matter?

And just found this conversion:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/appe...d-all-oem.html
I have this webpage put away somewhere, its readable too. Its the exact one I've been looking for.

Quick Reply: Evo DOHC-4G63T