Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Warning - All Those Who Use An Aeromotive FP Regulator

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by crispeed
Just curious if the regulator holds pressure now after the key is turned off.
BTW. Which model Aeromotive FPR was this one?
It now holds pressure at key off. If yours drops rapidly, and you have an Aeromotive FPR, my first suspicion would be that you have the same situation. This FPR is Aeromotive's "Compact" model.

Originally Posted by vikingboy
OOC - I have a HT 75mm TB sat here I havent setup yet - how did you detect the leak and how did you fix it? New TB required?
Install and pressure test. If a sizable leak is evident at the shaft, the only fix is replacement. This situation is very annoying and unacceptable given the pricetag of this part.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
It now holds pressure at key off. If yours drops rapidly, and you have an Aeromotive FPR, my first suspicion would be that you have the same situation. This FPR is Aeromotive's "Compact" model.
I've been using SX, Paxton, Aeromotive and Weldon regulators for over 15yrs and not yet have any of the problems you've experienced. Hope it was just a fluke for you.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Explains the problems I had with my old car having high IDC's and such. Interesting find for sure!
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of you may have followed my HTA3582R Twinscroll Project depicted here:
Ted B.'s HTA Twinscroll Project

There were only two issues preventing me from finishing my tuning and testing - a leaky TB shaft on my expensive Hypertune 75mm TB, and a fuel issue.

Mark Shead (Mark S) in the UK made a comment to the effect that he's had issues with Aeromotive fuel pressure regulators holding pressure at high boost. I know Mark just doesn't toss useless things out there, so I filed that in my mind. Coincidentally, at 27-28 psi with E85, I was well over 100% IDC at 6500rpm with FIC 1250s. I decided to connect a FP gauge to the rail and look at the gauge through the windshield as I drove the car.

Sure enough, the setup wouldn't hold more than 55 psi. Under boost, the FP would shoot quickly toward 70psi, then fall right back and settle around 55psi. I know that shouldn't be the case with those injectors and the dual in-tank Walbros with disabled pressure relief valves. I also noticed that the FP would drop to zero as soon as the key went to 'off', and that type of behavior indicates a leak. This is no good.

Walker (Drifto) is someone who is meticulous like myself, and I let him have a go at isolating the problem while I was away on travels. After making thorough checks of everything in the tank, he decided to disassemble the Aeromotive FP regulator. This is what he found:

This regulator uses a ball and seat arrangement to regulate pressure. As anyone can see, poor quality control on Aeromotive's part explains why the seat is irregular and mildly eccentric. It doesn't look like much to the inexperienced eye, but this is enough to create a serious pressure leak at the seat.

Walker exercised careful precision in reworking Aeromotive's sloppiness. The end result looks like this:

The end result? The fuel pressure is right where it should be. Walker then disassembled his own Aero regulator, and cleaned up that one as well. It seems it's hit or miss as far as what one gets from Aeromotive where this is concerned, but everyone who uses one of their regulators should be aware of it. Knowing what to look for and knowing how it must be addressed could save you in unnecessary headaches and wasted time.

Thanks again to:

Walker Morgan - www.mpfab.com
Mark Shead - www.madevelopments.com

Ted glad to be of help.

Mark
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crispeed
I've been using SX, Paxton, Aeromotive and Weldon regulators for over 15yrs and not yet have any of the problems you've experienced. Hope it was just a fluke for you.
Well it wasn't a one off fluke for Ted since there is multiple people in this thread alone who have had the problem.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 02:30 PM

This is very very interesting Ted and i'm very happy you had posted this on here. We to are currently running the Aeromotive FPR and I think we were maxing out my 1600cc's at i believe only 29-30psi on E85 as well hmmm I think we might have the same issue when the car was being dyno'd i too witnessed the spike in presure and would drop around to 55ish as well I will defenetly look into this and call the shop tommorow and re-post on the data we get during the week.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

has anyone notified Aeromitive of this problem yet?
Old Mar 1, 2009, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ted, does this change your outlook on whether your fuel system is now sufficient for the setup you're running?
Old Mar 1, 2009, 05:09 PM
Account Disabled

i ran into the same problem but with an sx regulator.car would lean out big time after 8000 rpm.would not hold fuel pressure after you turned the car off.i just replaced it.maybe i can repair it now.good to know,thanks for the info
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Meeh Lucky IX
I think we might have the same issue when the car was being dyno'd i too witnessed the spike in presure and would drop around to 55ish as well ...
The good news is that now you know the first thing that should be checked.

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Ted, does this change your outlook on whether your fuel system is now sufficient for the setup you're running?
I think I might be ok. I have more than enough pump capacity. If my calculations are correct, the 1250cc injectors should go static with E85 (0.79 g/cc) running at 0.7 BSFC around 700whp in Dynojet terms. That should be plenty for what I want. If something falls a bit short, I can eek the base FP to 50psi without pump issues, and that works out to 1340cc per injector, which should be good for somewhere north of 700whp at the same settings.

If I can top 600whp, I'm satisfied.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for this post. i too have the "compact model" and hang it off of my perrin fuel rail. the size/fitment is perfect for my application.

the regulator gauge drops to 0 instantly. i tried reseating the center gasket, checking ALL of my fuel connections/going viton all aound/etc.

snooping around on the internet, i found that someone talked to aeomotive and they said it was normal to drop/bleed off quickly for an aftermarket FPR. this is wrong according to your findings/fix.

this sucks. do you think i can hog the seat out with a good drill bit and steady hand/or will it never seal again?. i'm leaning towards the fact that my problem was your problem.

Last edited by evoredy; Mar 3, 2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 06:32 AM
EvoM Guru

If the FP gauge drops to zero instantly, this is NOT normal, and is indicative of a leak in the system. Saying this is normal is akin to saying that a tire with a nail in it is normal.

A seat must be cut such that the ball drops snugly into it and makes a good seal. I didn't watch Walker do it, but you see how it should be cut. It looks to me like it can be done carefully by hand, with the nose of an appropriately sized bit.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

I've experienced this problem as well. There's always going to be a defective that makes it though in mass production.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Looking at the first picture it seems very odd to me that they would go back and machine the seat after anodizing when all other machine work is clearly completed before the anodizing process. I wonder what their reasoning for that is.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

^^ i was thinking the same thing. why go back after its been anodized already. meanwhile, good find and good info for those big hp guys. man i wish i had this problem haha

Quick Reply: Warning - All Those Who Use An Aeromotive FP Regulator