Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cannot put into 6th gear !!Argh!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2009, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cannot put into 6th gear !!Argh!!

So i drive a 06 evo 9 Mr and for the past 2 weeks when shifting from 5th to 6th gear i had to start really pushing the gear in pretty hard . it has been like that till last night . After a couple races last night i tried putting it into 6th gear and it just wont go in at all. No matter how hard i try . So next thing i tried is letting the car cool off and tried it again and still couldnt get it into 6th gear. After that didnt work i trtied going into 6th gear while the car was of to see if it was my Act clutch or the tranny and it wouldnt go in . So im guessing it has to do with my tranny , Possibly my 6th gear synchro went bad? Can anyone give me some input on this ? i treid already searching the forum but i couldnt find any like this particularly

Last edited by Rolocoaster; Mar 2, 2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: mispelled some words like drive i put dirve
Old Mar 2, 2009, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Racing,huh.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 07:42 AM

not street racing it was at the track sorry for not claryfying
Old Mar 2, 2009, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possibiliites

1. Something in the way of the shift linkage possibly, especially if the clutch has been replaced. Sometimes people dont re-attach the harness to the battery tray and it will fall down into the linkage.

2. Clutch pedal adjustment. Make the rod longer to give the clutch more clearance but you still need to have a little free play at the top of the pedal.

3. Tranny damage.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:07 AM

i did a clutch pedal adjustment about two days ago. Before i had to let out almost completely on the clutch pedal for the clutch to engage so about 2 days ago i made the rod longer in order for the clutch to engage quicker .As far as something being in the way of the Shift linkage i dont think its that . Which only leaves one , Tranny damage. The thing is i verily bought the car about 3months ago and about 2 weeks ago it started not going in smoothly into 6th gear . Maybe the car having 70,*** miles on it has something to do maybe something in the tranny wore out . the fluids have been changed on schedule so it cant be that either.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your clutch released at the top of the pedal originally and you lowered the engagement then you shortened the rod. This essentially reduces the amount of fluid that is moved by the hydraulic system, and also reduces the amount of clearance between the flywheel / clutch / pressure plate. Try putting the pedal back to where it was and see if you can get in 6th.

Having the clutch engagment too low will cause your clutch to drag and will increase wear / cause gear lockout.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Mar 2, 2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rolocoaster
not street racing it was at the track sorry for not claryfying

What track do you go to that lets you get up to 6th gear?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Typical problem with 6 speed trans. From what I hear, it's a burring of the 6th gear fork, in a way which it will not properly engage.

There's no fix, other than to crack the trans open and repair/replace that fork.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Exciting News
What track do you go to that lets you get up to 6th gear?
He has a good point. 6th gear in an MR is in excess of 135mph.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Fireball
He has a good point. 6th gear in an MR is in excess of 135mph.
no i said after a couple of races i tried putting it in 6th gear meaning on my way home not during the race. I know you cant reach 6th at the track
Old Mar 2, 2009, 09:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Rolocoaster
no i said after a couple of races i tried putting it in 6th gear meaning on my way home not during the race. I know you cant reach 6th at the track
This is true...

I have noticed on mine the same difficulty into 6th, and the problem gets very much worse after a track day.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Which Fluids are you using?? and you have 70,000 miles on your 9MR ?? Sweet, I dont feel so bad not at about 35,000 And I have changed fluids about 3 time now using light shock proof. TC heavy shock proof. Built 2.3L HTA 35R. I still hope my 6 speed will be great for that long and much longer.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 09:35 AM

The thing is now it wont even go in . I thought the same ,telling myself it was because i had just done some runs but even this morning i couldnt put it in 6th .
Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Fireball
Typical problem with 6 speed trans. From what I hear, it's a burring of the 6th gear fork, in a way which it will not properly engage.

There's no fix, other than to crack the trans open and repair/replace that fork.
hopefully its this and not the synchro because its more money ill be out if its the synchro. Anybody know a good place here in houston to take my evo 9 mr to get it fixed at ?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:03 AM

anymore suggestions?

Quick Reply: Cannot put into 6th gear !!Argh!!