Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

converting my 9 to an 8 (remove mivec)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
converting my 9 to an 8 (remove mivec)

after having my 9 for a while, and my recent mivec cam snap, im scared to continue to run any type of mivec cam in my car, especially with my new stroker motor.

the 8s have been around alot longer, and its easier to find much larger cams for an 8 than a 9.

anyways, im having the master tech at the local mitsu dealer look thru his wiring diagrams to see if i need to swap harnasses, ecu etc etc.

he told me he thinks that you can just ignore the mivec in the wiring harness, however i may need an 8 ecu. wouldnt i be able to just tune my mivec to 0.0 across the map but wouldnt remove any of the other 9 features? therefore removing mivec completly?

thoughts?

Last edited by booster9; Mar 16, 2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

what cam did u have, my friends S2 GSC snapped and broke the motor hardcore

i been running cosworths for a while, been good for at least 35k so far
Old Mar 16, 2009, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

i ran kelfords,

apparently kelford, gsc, and cosworth have been making bad cams for 9s, and theres not much of a choice on any other cams without sacrificing alot of performance.

id like to convert to 8 to run JUNs or something similar
Old Mar 16, 2009, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

JUN and TOMEI cams are killer for evo8's
Old Mar 16, 2009, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

yeah thats why i wanna convert to 8
if its harder than i am thinking, i may run FP5R
Old Mar 16, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was looking into the same thing. Does the 8 cam fit the 9 head? I dont see why the Mivec couldnt be diabled.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Jun makes cams for the 9.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
You need to stop listening to your master tech.

You need the 8 harness, 8 ECU with disabled immobiliser, obviously the 8 head with cams and cam gears. The water pipe/thermostat housing is also different, the feed line length is different. It isnt exactly hard but its not easy either.

As far as your comment about bad cams, remember that is an unresolved issue for the exact point of failure. Saying that they make bad cams, when it could be one small batch that they bought from the billet manufacturer, or other reasons is pretty bold.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
straight up, if you have an evo9 and you want to convert to an evo8 in todays time, your a dumbass.

Buy a good set of cams and reap the benefits of the mivec and additional flow, otherwise just sell the car and buy yourself an 8.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley

You need the 8 harness, 8 ECU with disabled immobiliser, obviously the 8 head with cams and cam gears. The water pipe/thermostat housing is also different, the feed line length is different. It isnt exactly hard but its not easy either.

As far as your comment about bad cams, remember that is an unresolved issue for the exact point of failure. Saying that they make bad cams, when it could be one small batch that they bought from the billet manufacturer, or other reasons is pretty bold.
the tech said he was going to look into the wiring diagrams to see what it would take, and i dont care if it was a small batch.. im not going to take a risk and get one of the "bad batch" cams again and blowing my stroker.. so as far as I am concerned. no more kelford, cosworth, or GSC cams for me...

that dosnt sound bad but disabaling the immobilizer? no bueno.. ill stick with the 9.

thank you for the info john
Old Mar 16, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
straight up, if you have an evo9 and you want to convert to an evo8 in todays time, your a dumbass.

Buy a good set of cams and reap the benefits of the mivec and additional flow, otherwise just sell the car and buy yourself an 8.
and why does that make me a dumbass? considering that both ams and buschur use 8s on their drag cars, yet no one calls them dumbasses for not taking advantage of the mivec.

i have yet to see a 9 cam have as aggressive lift as any 8 cam.

not to mention, the more **** the car has, the more **** thats going to brake.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 08:01 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
MIVEC = GOOD mmmmkkkaaaaay?!!?!?

There are a billion other guys out there running cams on their IX's that didn't snap. You got unlucky, get some new cams and get over it!
Old Mar 16, 2009, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

^word!
Old Mar 16, 2009, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

get the FP cams they give you performance just have to work with the idle. this is a pretty drastic change Kelford has already stated they are looking into the problem and will correct what ever it is.I think this was a result of a bad batch of cores.

buschur and AMS uses the 8's because they bought the cars right when they came out.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley

Yeah.... I didnt want to call him out on that.... he has talked to me about several issues and was completely wrong (the master tech)....

The 9 ecu even has a different plug. There are a lot of small differences, but unfortunately I think there are enough where the best option would be to have an 8 and 9 side by side.....

Quick Reply: converting my 9 to an 8 (remove mivec)