Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can't boost past 10psi...wastegate and vacuum lines ok!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also had a similar problem and it ended up being my stock recirculitory valve. So I bought the greddy rs valve and now all is normal
Old Apr 19, 2009, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good call...i have an aps bov that has given me so many problems...that could easily be the problem. i will find a stock bov and try it out tomoro. ill let yall know if it works
Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:10 PM

I read that the throttle body shaft seal can leak as well. One thing I failed to mention is that my gas pedal inside the care is extremely stiff now and has been for some time. Could the shaft seal be a reason for a stiff gas pedal and a potential boost leak????? lol i feel like om getting closer to a solution!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

hmm..i think it would b the opposite if the seals were torn up. loose not stiff. i changed out my seals the other day and it didnt help. but u might have a different situation. fix n c.a problem i just found was that my valve cover is cracked. when i do a leak test i can hear air coming out by one of the bolts around cylinder 3. whats up with that? i didnt kno that area gets pressurized also? is that normal?i know its cracked but didnt know that area fills up with air with the leak test.

Last edited by 05VIII; Apr 21, 2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old May 2, 2009, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

i replaced my cracked valve cover with a new one. problem is still there. i have no clue what to check next. i did the leak test again n have no leaks so dont kno y it wont boost. the last 2 things it could b is the wastegate or the boost controller. ay jdeinert did you ever fix your problem?
Old May 23, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jdeinert
I read that the throttle body shaft seal can leak as well. One thing I failed to mention is that my gas pedal inside the care is extremely stiff now and has been for some time. Could the shaft seal be a reason for a stiff gas pedal and a potential boost leak????? lol i feel like om getting closer to a solution!
I just replaced my seals as I had a leak and my pedal was stiff/sticky. It turned out to be the 80K miles of gunk build up in my throttle body. I cleaned it all out and my car is running fantastic now. I would definitely suggest doing this.
Old May 27, 2009, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

We have an evo that we put the hallman mbc on. At first we were able to turn up the boost and it ran very well. After a day we started to have fuel cut off issues, and boost would drop dramatically after a few seconds of running consistently 21 lbs of boost. His boost pressure read 8psi and would not go past that. We did a boost leak test, checked all piping and intercooler couplings, checked all seals and gaskets. we checked is manifold for cracks, and couldnt find anything. no hissing or unusual noises either. We took the mbc off and revamped all of the vacuum lines, and the boost went back to normal with no issues. We were back to running stock boost. The problems with mbc is, and i do speak from experience is that you cant really just put one on and turn it up and go. You must tune your vehicle with the boost control settings from the mbc that you put into it. With no tune, you will only run into problems. I hope this helps out somewhat.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Did you guys figure out problem? Am too having an issue with internal leak.. I can hear a leak at valvecover. I fixed all other external leaks, no more hissing. Just that gurgling sound from inside the motor. ):
Old Jun 23, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Any updates on what is was
Old Aug 1, 2009, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

can anyone help? i got the same problem?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 04:43 PM

nothin yet still figuring it out...I reset my ECU and the boost went back up to 8lbs for about an hour....im just gonna take it in to a shop...My baby has 80k on it and its only been boosting for forty of the 80....waste of talent
Old Jan 7, 2010, 02:19 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As dumb as it sounds I have seen a car here or there with a similar issue. Does great with boost leak tests and after a close inspection the wastegate arm fell off the turbo.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05VIII
i replaced my cracked valve cover with a new one. problem is still there. i have no clue what to check next. i did the leak test again n have no leaks so dont kno y it wont boost. the last 2 things it could b is the wastegate or the boost controller. ay jdeinert did you ever fix your problem?
The leak you are hearing inside the engine is air getting past the piston rings. Try removing the oil cap when you leak test {it is actually good practice to do this anyway} If there is a great volume of air coming out of the oil cap I would compression test the engine to check the conditon of the piston rings. you can pm me with your findings and I will do what I can to help, I often forget to check back on threads i have offered adivce in.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

when you boost check it did you take off your bumper and start from the turbo and spray the crap out EVERYTHING!! that boost travels through starting from the turbo outlet to the intake mani where it bolts to the head.

literally drench everything, where the bubbles are is where your leaks are.

i had the same problem after i swapped my tranny and i forgot to bolt an IC clamp down
Old Mar 20, 2010, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Have you swapped your boost controller for a friends? I had this issue, did the leak test with soapy water and checked all of my clamps and whatnot, and it ended up being a bad boost controller. They just go bad sometimes...

Quick Reply: Can't boost past 10psi...wastegate and vacuum lines ok!!