Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wheres the fuel pump relay?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having this Same Exact Problem!!! been a week also. No CEL, And i was running the Power FC before when it happened. Now i put all the stock stuff back in to see if it was the problem. Still no Joy. also getting a blinking Anti Lock Light.

Last edited by EvoVIII808; Jun 22, 2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

P0335 Crank Sensor:: i know that wont let the car start.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since im limited to day light and working on a gravel drive way for the time being, i didnt get 100% done but this is what i found.

The car was givng me a P0335 code before. So i decided to look at the crank angle sensor. Soon as i took off the upper timing belt cover i saw pieces of the balance shaft belt. i then took off the crank pully and a few bolts to the lower timing belt cover.

I never got the lower half of the cover off, due to light. But i did look behing the cover as much as i could. i pulled out more pieces of the balance shaft belt( not sure if theres more stuck in there) and barely saw the crank angle. Didnt look broke, but was definitly dirty and grimey. but like i said i could barely see it.

So what does the balance shaft belt, and crank angle sensor have to do with me not getting fuel? This is all new to me, I never owned a 4g63 (long enough).

Can any one help?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRCole
underneath the hood
what a dick.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOllie
So what does the balance shaft belt, and crank angle sensor have to do with me not getting fuel? This is all new to me, I never owned a 4g63 (long enough).

Can any one help?

The Crank Angle Position Sensor is everything in the car. All of your spark and ignition events are in some way based off of your crank angle position sensor. I am almost positive if you replace it you car will be just fine. Last Thursday my car decided to let one of the crank angle position sensor bolts come loose, and the timing plate took out the sensor, and the car immediately died. Most likley if you see balance shaft belt pieces, there is damage to the crank sensor. This is because everything is so tight behind the lower cover that if there is anything "floating" around in there, you will start to incur damage in some way shape or form. The timing plate probably tried to force a piece of the belt through the crank sensor, and broke the magnet inside of the sensor thus causing it not to read. When my sensor went, the car would crank all day, but never start. (No fuel or spark for me, and it was displaying a P0335 as well.)

Basically, do the following:

1. Order a crank angle position sensor, MN158261
2. Order a new timing plate. (Just to be safe, in case of damage found)
3. Order a new balance shaft belt
4. Order a new timing belt (If you see damage to current belt)
5. You will need a belt tension release tool (Either make or buy one)

Get in there and replace the items listed above. If you car has never had a timing belt replaced, and your miles are around 60K, you might want to think about doing the standard maintenance job of Water Pump, Timing Belt, Belt Tensioner, Belt Tensioner Bearing(s), Balance Shaft Belt etc.. It will be a little pricey at first, but well worth it in the end because it will bring the car back to running very heathy again will all the new service parts in there.

Its not that hard of a job to do, I did my complete timing belt job in about 3 hours, start to finish including getting out tools/jacking the car up etc.. But then again, I have done this about 4 times now so I have the process down pat.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:29 AM

After replacing all fuel relays one by one. (3 total) Still no luck.

So heres the update:
car gets power
it can turn over
its getting spark
all fuses are good
all fuel pump relays are new

Fuel pump is getting no power.

When the car first died it threw a po335 code. After researching it, it look like the sudden stall to the car while driving it might have thrown that code. I did clear it.

The po335 is back again after a week of trying to start it. does this have anything to do with my problem or is it from cranking it and not starting?
I had an issue with po335, replace your crankshaft position sensor, this sensor tells the ECU based on firing order to power the fuel pump and igntion. It's $77 from mitsubishiparts.net (AKA bruce titus automotive). Hope this helps.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

thanks guys.

i just had all my belts replaced last year....about 10k miles ago. my car has 85k miles on it. the thing that scares me is i read in another post that someones balance shaft locked up due to pieces of there rod bearings getting in the oil.

I tried pulling the cover off today got everything off except one pully...it looks like i have to drop the motor a little bit to get the bolt all the way off. Im so tired of working on a gravel drive way lol and i dont have time, two jobs and a daughter will do that. So im just going to take it some where.

i'll keep you guys posted in a new thread on what happens.
The following users liked this post:
Sam Rattai (Feb 28, 2020)
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by huevosrancheros
what a dick.
no no, it was very helpful. it narrowed it down to 10 lol
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

sweet bro. glad they can help. i have to do the same thing when my sensor gets here You should make a thread on how to change it. haha since your doing it
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Im guessing that my problem...my car totally died yesterday. When trying to restart i realized i didnt hear the fuel pump. so i checked the fuel pump fuse...it was fine. Then i pulled the pump and threw 12v to it, and it kicked on fine. Then i checked for voltage at the harness to the fuel pump....nothing.

Looked in manual, did a search and i cant figure out where the relay is.

Its an 03 btw.
SAME exact thing happened to me... smh....
i even did a compression test... and it seems that i was only reading 30psi in cylinder 1 and 2...
also i was getting spark...
but the fuel pump won't turn on when i put it in ACC i'd usually hear it start adn shut off... but when i try and crank the car... i was getting fuel to the rail... i checked...

might need a sensor as well... smh...
Old Nov 26, 2009, 08:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any updates on what fixed this for the guys that were having this problem? I had a similar issue while driving tonight, engine turned off but all electronics were still on and I no longer hear the pump engage.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Well I know I"m like a year late but I'm troubleshooting a similar problem right now.

Here is a diagram from the Evo 9 FSM. I bet yours is similar.

B128 is the location of Fuel Pump Relay 3

Old Aug 12, 2022, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Sorry to see no one responded........Maybe "General" wasnt the best place to post..........Hey Im no Guru but when I throw pwr to the ignition I sometimes dont hear the pump (Walbro 255).........Curious as to what the issue is.......Maybe the relay is at the lower left interior fuse panel??..........Peace
Hello sir i have the same problem on my evo7 and im from the philippines. My car also died when my evo7 is in place only and just starting the car 3 times a week coz its a show car evo7. I tried wiring my fuel pump directly on my battery just to test if its working...yes it did start, but when i did not do this way, it wont start. So you think its in our fuel relay?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
There's 3 of them 2 are in the dash mounted junction box. C-221 & C-223
I have a jdm evo7 and my car wont start and it died one day when i was just starting my evo on the garage, im not even on my evo that time, i was outside the car wiping the paint from dust. I just want to ask if how many fuel pump relays do my jdm evo7 has and where is it located in my evo7?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:09 PM

After replacing all fuel relays one by one. (3 total) Still no luck.

So heres the update:
car gets power
it can turn over
its getting spark
all fuses are good
all fuel pump relays are new

Fuel pump is getting no power.

When the car first died it threw a po335 code. After researching it, it look like the sudden stall to the car while driving it might have thrown that code. I did clear it.

The po335 is back again after a week of trying to start it. does this have anything to do with my problem or is it from cranking it and not starting?
hello sir, did you already fix your evo's fuel pump problem? It looks like i have a similar problem like yours hehe.

Quick Reply: Wheres the fuel pump relay?