Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Alternator problems??

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2009, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator problems??

Last week i had a new alternator put in my car, and i got the car back started it drove home. Started it the next day drove to my cousins graduation. while driving home my car goes crazy again(gauges freaking out, clock dim) seems that my alternator was never plugged into my battery. so i plug it in, start the car again and it runs around the block and dies. same thing that was happening with the old alternator...Is my alternator shot already?
Old May 25, 2009, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

I doubt that it's bad again. Check all the connections, especially the wire coming from the alternator to the battery. I had a problem with these symptoms, took me months to figure it out. Somewhere, something is not making good contact.

What you can do is take it to autozone or have a voltage tester, use that to track down where the charge/voltage is not getting through to.

Check the harness (plug) on the alternator, check the ground on the alternator. Check the power from the alt to the battery. It's somewhere within there.
Old May 25, 2009, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whiptheevo8
Last week i had a new alternator put in my car, and i got the car back started it drove home. Started it the next day drove to my cousins graduation. while driving home my car goes crazy again(gauges freaking out, clock dim) seems that my alternator was never plugged into my battery. so i plug it in, start the car again and it runs around the block and dies. same thing that was happening with the old alternator...Is my alternator shot already?
Maybe there is a loose connection at the alternator..Maybe they did not tighten the 12mm wire that goes on the altenator...check it first plus if you have a apexi turbo timer you can see the voltage to see what it is doing and check the batt to see if there is any loose connections there too...good luck
Old May 25, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by peteformance
Maybe there is a loose connection at the alternator..Maybe they did not tighten the 12mm wire that goes on the altenator...check it first plus if you have a apexi turbo timer you can see the voltage to see what it is doing and check the batt to see if there is any loose connections there too...good luck
When i first got my car back the cable from the batt to the alternator was unplugged. plugged it back in same result. which wire is the 12mm wire you speak of?
Old May 31, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

So i finally had my car running good for the last 5 day's, but today the batt and brake light came on...WTF!!! Now my alternator is only pushing 11v!?!?
Any ideas??
Old May 31, 2009, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey i had the same problem

one - try another battery
two - check to see if the fuse on the + power cord from the alternator to the battery isn't blown. I blew mine and just bought a better one at autozone
Old May 31, 2009, 01:20 PM

also make sure u check if theres a ground wire beocuse i know alot of cars have that and if its not grounded it wont work right but also check the fuse on the power line from alternator ro battery isnt blown that happend to me and my car would start or if it did i as only at like 9volts
Old May 31, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

My alternator is only pushing 11v i will check the fuse.
The ground wire is hooked up.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:58 PM

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with it or the solution. I'm having a lot of similar problems.