Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Throwout bearing noise? Could clutch adjustment reduce it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2009, 04:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Throwout bearing noise? Could clutch adjustment reduce it?

I was told that my noise sounds like the throwout bearing, but I wanted to explain it to confirm what it is. I have a little rattling noise while driving in gear. The noise of course goes away when I push the clutch in. I also tested this at idle and get the same result. If I keep the car in neutral and release the clutch, the rattling comes back, and if I push the clutch in, it goes away. I have done searches and it seems to be the throwout bearing based on everyone elses experience, but my question is, would adjusting the clutch help reduce or even get rid of this problem? I also recently removed the clutch restrictor and installed stainless clutch hoses, if that matters. Thanks all in advance!
Old Jun 29, 2009, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man my guess is you just installed a aftermarket clutch with lines? If not then ifnore this advice as it probably is ur tob. However assuming its not, I bet wen u lift it up, rev the engine u can hear what sounds like a tob going bad? And wen u let off the gas and decel it sounds like ur rattling a screw in a metal can but wen u engage the clutch it goes away? Even a local auto shop wud have told u its ur bad tob?

If any of this is true its just clutch chatter. Very common with aftermarket clutches, I for one experience all of the above include a shop while mounting tires trying to convince me it was a bad tob when it had just been replace with a new one the week before.

I personally don't mind clutch chatter but some ppl do. I wouldn't worry about it at all unless its a stock clutch with lots of miles/beating. Obviousl then have a evo spec shop take a look at her. Its like the whinebro, ou learn to love it! Haha gl with your issue hope this helped
Old Jun 29, 2009, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

My ca had this noise for atleast 20k miles, your fine. Its actually not the TOB, its actually the input shaft into the tanny you ae hearing and its pretty common once you have some miles on her.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

input shaft
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:57 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
TOB when it is bad makes the noise when you press the clutch not when you release it.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
TOB when it is bad makes the noise when you press the clutch not when you release it.
I thought it was the other way around? If not, then that definitely helps me, because the noise definitely goes away when I press the clutch in. In fact, in neutral, with the clutch pedal fully up, I just have to push it down a tad to make the noise go away. That is why I thought maybe adjusting the clutch would fix it. So if it IS the input shaft, would it still make that noise, even parked at idle, and in neutral? Also, if I accelerate hard, and then let off the gas somewhat at high rpms (kinda like engine braking) it is more pronounced and it does resemble what someone said earlier about bolts rolling around in a can. Is this truly normal? Just want to be safe. And I believe this is a stock clutch, but I do not completely know the history of the car. It only has 25k on it.

Last edited by I4UnderPressure; Jun 29, 2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

i have had this sound on my car since day one and i have 80k on the car. its pretty common in these cars as 20gmr states above
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I keep reading on how many of our cars have this issue, just don't wanna break anything.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 04:44 AM

INput shaft bearing

Hey < I have an evo ix se , and the noise that rattling come when idling is from the input shaft bearing cause it lock with the spined of the clucth disc and the shaft still spinning with the clutch (engaged) at idle (mean not to step on the clucth) . If you pressed the clutch and noise come on it will be throw out bearing.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

that same sound started after launching my car one day n has been there ever since. if its the input shaft how do you go about fixing it.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mosquito6717
Hey < I have an evo ix se , and the noise that rattling come when idling is from the input shaft bearing cause it lock with the spined of the clucth disc and the shaft still spinning with the clutch (engaged) at idle (mean not to step on the clucth) . If you pressed the clutch and noise come on it will be throw out bearing.
My sound appears when I release the clutch. When I press it it goes away.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolved_6
that same sound started after launching my car one day n has been there ever since. if its the input shaft how do you go about fixing it.
By replacing it.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm this may be my issue too.. but I get like 20 different noises, and since installing the clutch I have never launched the car once.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 07:27 AM

inputshaft

Hey 4 underpressure , I pretty sure that would be the input shaft bearing gets shock under the heavy load , cause that input shaft front bearing is weak that why they upgraded to the taper bearing instead of using stock ball bearing.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

When you say input shaft bearing, im guessing the one that is inside of the transmission, and not the tob in the bell housing?

So that bearing will make odd noises after taking a few shocks?

Quick Reply: Throwout bearing noise? Could clutch adjustment reduce it?